Noticias

Peter Demill - Historia

Peter Demill - Historia

Peter Demill

(Corteza: t. 300)

Peter Demill, un mercante comprado por la Marina en New London, Connecticut, el 9 de noviembre de 1861 para su uso en la "Flota de piedra", fue varado con Sudamérica y los cosacos el 8 de diciembre de 1861 para servir como muelle durante el desembarco de las tropas en Tybee. Island, Gal, en la desembocadura del río Savannah.


Buceo en Tybee Island, GA

Tybee Island, una isla barrera de fácil acceso ubicada a lo largo de la costa atlántica de Georgia, está a solo 29 millas al este del centro de Savannah. Los turistas vienen en masa durante los meses de clima cálido para disfrutar de toda la recreación acuática que Tybee tiene para ofrecer, siendo el buceo uno de los más populares. Los buzos de todos los niveles de experiencia están expuestos a una aventura submarina que incluye vastos arrecifes artificiales, acantilados espectaculares, una gran cantidad de vida marina y numerosos naufragios listos para explorar.


Peter Demill - Historia

Cecil Blount DeMille fue uno de los fundadores de la industria cinematográfica de Hollywood, uno de los productores-directores de mayor éxito comercial de su época y uno de los cineastas más influyentes de la historia. Entre 1914 y 1956, realizó setenta largometrajes, todos menos siete rentables. Cecil B. DeMille es sinónimo de epopeyas religiosas: El rey de los reyes, Sansón y Dalila, y Los diez Mandamientos (1956). Combinó espectáculo, sexo y una narrativa fascinante para transmitir un mensaje de fe.

Fue DeMille quien creó la imagen del director omnipotente, megáfono en mano, botas y gorra con visera. DeMille le dio a Hollywood numerosas estrellas: Wallace Reid, Gloria Swanson, William (“Hopalong Cassidy”) Boyd, Claudette Colbert, Robert Preston, Jean Arthur y Charlton Heston.

DeMille creó los puestos de editor de historias de estudio, director de arte y artista conceptual. Fue uno de los primeros en utilizar iluminación teatral en un set de filmación. A finales de la década de 1920, cuando Hollywood se convirtió en películas sonoras, DeMille desafió a los expertos en sonido, liberando la cámara de una cabina restringida e implementando el micrófono boom.

La autoridad de DeMille se extendió más allá de los confines de su estudio. Era un poder en la aviación, la banca, la política y el sector inmobiliario. En la década de 1930, su fama como cineasta fue superada por su fama como estrella de la radio.

Fue fundador de la Academia de Artes y Ciencias Cinematográficas, institución de la que finalmente ganó dos premios. En 1953 su película El mayor espectáculo del mundo ganó el premio a la mejor película de 1952 y se le otorgó el premio Irving G. Thalberg Memorial.

La influencia de DeMille en la cultura mundial es incalculable, pero hay estimaciones e hitos. Su biografía de Jesucristo, El rey de los reyes, era una película muda, pero debido a un arreglo de distribución único, finalmente fue vista por 800 millones de espectadores. Sansón y Dalila (1949) y Los diez Mandamientos (1956) todavía figuran entre los diez mejores campeones de taquilla de todos los tiempos. Continúan generando ingresos y provocando pensamientos.

Cecil B. DeMille dirigiendo Los diez Mandamientos en Egipto, noviembre de 1954. Retrato de G.E. Richardson

Cecil B. DeMille, la imagen del director de Hollywood. Retrato de Witzel

Nacimiento y linaje

Cecil B. DeMille nació el 12 de agosto de 1881 en Ashfield, Massachusetts. Su padre, Henry de Mille, nació en Washington, Carolina del Norte, de ascendencia holandesa e inglesa. Henry fue un ministro laico episcopal y un exitoso dramaturgo.

La madre de DeMille nació Beatrice Samuels de padres judíos alemanes en Londres, pero se crió en Nueva York. Antes de casarse con Henry de Mille, se convirtió a la fe episcopal protestante. Beatrice era educadora y más tarde se convirtió en la segunda corredora de juegos femenina en Estados Unidos.

Cecil tenía un hermano mayor, William (nacido en 1878) y una hermana, Agnes (1891-1895).


Domingo 29 de enero de 2017

Robert J. Young - Esposo de Dorothy Rasmussen

Durante muchos años, me ha quedado perplejo lo que le sucedió a Robert J. Young, quien habría sido del tío. Hasta hace poco seguía siendo un enigma. Lo único que realmente sabía era que era el primer marido de la tía Dorothy y el primer marido de Dot. Mi única otra conexión con él fue a través de una foto envejecida de la boda de mi tía Lillian Rasmussen con su novio John White. El hijo de John y # 8217 me confirmaron en años posteriores que Robert y Dorothy eran el padrino y la dama de honor en esa boda, todos los cuales se muestran en la imagen de abajo.

Después de la muerte de Dorothy Parker, de soltera Rasmussen, más conocida por la mayoría de la familia como tía Dot, mi madre (Lois J. Muller de soltera O & # 8217Neal) fue a ayudar a mi tío a limpiar sus pertenencias personales. En el momento de su muerte, la mayoría de sus pertenencias todavía estaban con Robert Muller en Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Como quiso el destino, mi madre terminó con algunas rarezas de Aunt Dot & # 8217s, incluidos encajes y ropa interior vintage. Entre estos artículos se encontraron cartas de su primer esposo, Robert J. Young. Aún en buenas condiciones, la tía Dot había guardado estas cartas durante más de 60 años. Para que los originales permanezcan intactos, he transcrito su contenido para que todos puedan leer un poco más en sus vidas. Esto tuvo lugar en 2001.

Recientemente, me arriesgué en NYC.gov y solicité un certificado de defunción para un Horatio Young que murió en 1930. En mis búsquedas iniciales, hace años, tenía una nota de que Robert podría tener un posible segundo nombre de Horatio, así que pensé Me arriesgaría. Robert, que sabemos, falleció en 1930, como se indica en el censo de 1930 que muestra a la esposa Dorothy como viuda, así que pensé que este certificado podría ser prometedor. Sin embargo, cuando recibí el certificado, descubrí que esta persona figuraba como soltera en el momento de su muerte, por lo que esto descartó a Robert. Pero, esto revitalizó mi investigación sobre Robert y volví a visitar esas cartas que habían sido conservadas por la tía Dot y comencé a sacar nombres e información de ellas. Luego agregué esta información a mis búsquedas en Ancestry.com y finalmente pude avanzar para comprender un poco más sobre él.

Esto es lo que se ha revelado & # 8230

Robert J Young nació en 1901/02. Era hijo de Horatio Nelson y Kathryn Young. Tenía 5 hermanos Emily, Marion, Horatio, Maud y Ruth. Irónicamente, el certificado de defunción con el que me había arriesgado resultó ser el hermano de Robert & # 8217 & # 8217, Horatio. En las cartas de la tía Dot, Robert se refería a menudo a Maud, Ruth y Emily. Fueron estos, nombres de sus hermanos, los que una vez agregados a la búsqueda, pude hacer la conexión. Otra información que surgió incluyó que Robert y su padre Horatio eran oficiales de policía, Horatio era un capitán, y que Horatio está enterrado en el cementerio de Moravian en New Dorp, Staten Island.

En su carta & # 8217s a Dot, rápidamente se hace evidente que Robert estaba enfermo con algo & # 8230 muy probablemente tuberculosis, aunque también se refiere a & # 8217 cómo me afectó el gas & # 8221 en una carta posterior, y no podría regresar sin la policía. pedido. Sus cartas contienen muchas referencias a personas desconocidas, pero otras incluyen & # 8216Ma & # 8217 y Jack, que ahora creo que son Aaselie Dorothy Rasmussen (Ma) y John Gallagher. John (Jack) Gallagher también se convertiría en el padrino de Robert Muller. Estas ideas se hicieron claras cuando volví a examinar el Registro del Censo de Nueva York de 1925, que muestra a Dorothy (Ma), Lillian, Robert, Dorothy (Dot) y John Gallagher viviendo en 70 State Street.


Peter Demill - Historia

cuatro y está enterrado en Manti, cementerio. Freeborn DeMill murió en Manti, el 23 de enero de 1881 a la edad de ochenta y cinco años y está enterrado en el cementerio de Manti junto a su esposa. El 3 de mayo de 1856, Freeborn DeMill se casó con una segunda esposa llamada Lynittee Janett Richards y les nacieron dos hijos. Orrin, nacido el 29 de enero de 1858 en Manti, Utah, y Benjamin nacido el 23 de enero de 1860 en Manti, Utah. En su registro relata que uno murió y el otro vivía en Efraín con su madre, fechado el 21 de abril de 1864. No he podido encontrar ningún rastro de este otro hijo. No sé si murió antes de la edad de matrimonio o no. Tomado de un libro escrito y publicado por Loren DeLance Squire. Lo siguiente son ejemplos de un artículo que apareció en The Pyramid & # 8221, fecha desconocida, por David Mackey, titulado & # 8220Lines from Hwy 89 & # 8221. & # 8220 Una gran distancia en el tiempo y el espacio separa las comunidades del condado de Sanpete de las aldeas remotas de Rockville y Springdale. Los pequeños pueblos están escondidos entre las paredes del cañón carmesí y el río Virgin en la carretera sur hacia el Cañón Zion. & # 8230 Este bolsillo del planeta fue poblado en gran parte por personas trasplantadas de Sanpete. Entre los que se convertirían en residentes de la zona. & # 8230 Fue Isaac Behunin quien había sido el primero en replantear un reclamo solitario en el sitio del actual Efraín. Cuando otros comenzaron a invadir las tierras de Sanpete inmediatamente a su alrededor, según los informes, le dijeron a un amigo que si bien lo querría como vecino, solo había agua suficiente para una familia. Entonces el fundador se mudó. Este mismo pionero de Behunin luego trasladó a su familia a lo que hoy es el Parque Nacional Zion. Finalmente, el pequeño asentamiento conocido como & # 8220Zion & # 8221 estaba formado por unas seis familias, pero por varias razones la ciudad dejó de existir en 1875 cuando la gente se mudó. & # 8230 La lápida de Oliver y Emily DeMille se encuentra en medio de numerosos familiares. DeMille nació en 1830 y no solo representó los primeros días de Sanpete, sino que sus padres, Freeborn y Anna Knight DeMill, fueron de los primeros en ser bautizados en la nueva iglesia fundada por José Smith ese mismo año. & # 8230 & # 8221


Sobre Nelson DeMille

Nelson Richard DeMille nació en la ciudad de Nueva York el 23 de agosto de 1943 de Huron y Antonia (Panzera) DeMille, luego se mudó con sus padres a Long Island. Se graduó de Elmont Memorial High School, donde jugó al fútbol y corrió en la pista.

DeMille pasó tres años en la Universidad de Hofstra, luego se unió al Ejército, donde asistió a la Escuela de Candidatos a Oficiales y fue nombrado Teniente en el Ejército de los Estados Unidos (1966-69). Vio la acción en Vietnam como líder de pelotón de infantería con la Primera División de Caballería y fue condecorado con la Medalla Aérea, la Estrella de Bronce y la Cruz Vietnamita de Gallardía, y fue galardonado con la Insignia de Infantería de Combate.

Después de su licenciamiento, DeMille regresó a la Universidad de Hofstra, donde recibió su licenciatura en Ciencias Políticas e Historia. Tiene tres hijos, Lauren, Alexander y James, y reside en Long Island.

La primera gran novela de DeMille fue Por los ríos de Babilonia, publicado en 1978, y todavía se imprime al igual que todas sus novelas posteriores. Es miembro de American Mensa, The Authors Guild, y fue presidente de Mystery Writers of America. También es miembro de International Thriller Writers y fue elegido como ThrillerMaster del año 2015. DeMille es Fideicomisario Honorario de la Walt Whitman Birthplace Association y tiene tres doctorados honorarios: Doctor en Humanidades de la Universidad de Hofstra, Doctor en Literatura de Long Island Universidad y Doctor en Humanidades de Dowling College.

Nelson DeMille es autor de: By the Rivers of Babylon, Cathedral, The Talbot Odyssey, Word of Honor, The Charm School, The Gold Coast, The General's Daughter, Spencerville, Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Up Country, Night Fall, Wild Fire, The Gate House, The Lion, The Panther, The Quest, Radiant Angel, The Cuban Affair, The Deserter (en coautoría con su hijo, Alex DeMille) y The Maze. También es coautor de Mayday con Thomas Block y ha contribuido con cuentos para antologías y reseñas de libros y artículos para revistas y periódicos.


Nelson DeMille se ha hecho un nombre por sí mismo por escribir algunos libros verdaderamente de suspenso, esto junto con romper con la norma de rematar las historias con finales típicos de películas de Hollywood, algunos de los mejores libros de la bibliografía de Nelson incluyen los siguientes:

La hija del general: No solo la Capitana Ann Campbell es el orgullo de Fort Hadley, sino que la Graduada de West Point también es hija del General & # 8216 Fighting Joe ’Campbell. Un caso explosivamente político estalla cuando Ann es encontrada muerta y desnuda en el campo de tiro.

Paul Brenner es el investigador contratado para darle sentido a la situación. Miembro de una unidad de investigación encubierta de élite, Brenner se une a la especialista en violaciones Cynthia Sunhill para encontrar al culpable.

El hecho de que Brenner y Sunhill una vez tuvieron una aventura tempestuosa solo complica las cosas y, al investigar a Golden Girl de Ford Hadley, el dúo se sorprende al descubrir con cuántas personas Ann estaba involucrada sexual y emocionalmente.

Debajo de los uniformes planchados y los códigos de honor de los militares, Brenner y Sunhill comienzan a descubrir la corrupción.

Todo veterano del ejército que ha leído este libro de Nelson DeMille se sorprende por lo precisa que es su representación de la vida en el ejército. El libro profundiza en el brutal asesinato de la hija de un general, aunque los acontecimientos de los militares rápidamente ocupan un lugar central.

Nelson debe ser elogiado por abordar la actitud que rodea a las mujeres en West Point, esto junto con los elementos incómodos de corrupción que se retuercen debajo. Hay personajes en el libro que son tan depravados que sorprenderán a algunos lectores, y el problema de los hombres y mujeres que sirven codo con codo se pone de manifiesto.

Cabe señalar que, por más oscuras que se pongan las cosas, todavía hay una sorprendente cantidad de humor en este libro, especialmente las bromas entre Brenner y Sunhill.

La escuela del encanto: Hay jóvenes agentes de la KGB a quienes los prisioneros de guerra estadounidenses están enseñando a modelar ciudadanos en los Estados Unidos. La siniestra operación se está llevando a cabo en los bosques rusos de Borodino, en un lugar llamado Escuela del Encanto de la Sra. Ivanova.

La Unión Soviética tiene planes de infiltrarse en los Estados Unidos, y quieren hacerlo sin ser detectados cuando un turista estadounidense desprevenido se topa con esta operación, pone en marcha eventos que comienzan a desvelar el salvajismo y la traición dentro de la Unión Soviética.

The Charm School es un thriller intensamente escalofriante. El libro avanza a un ritmo muy rápido y pinta una imagen vívida de la vida en la Unión Soviética. Los personajes están muy bien definidos, el espantoso secreto en las profundidades del bosque lo convierte en un final de nudillos blancos.

Algunos lectores se han quejado de que el libro es demasiado prolijo, pero eso no quita la intriga de este thriller de espías. Este es el libro perfecto para cualquier persona nueva en el trabajo de Nelson DeMille y que quiera comenzar a leer sus novelas.


Root, P.O. Randall

Lounsbury (sic), Luis, Hijo de Luis, nació el 6 de julio de 1813 en la localidad de Onondaga, en el condado de Onondaga. Su padre era zapatero y realizaba ese negocio cerca de la reserva india. Louis se graduó de la Academia Onondaga y después de dejar la escuela entró en la tienda de Orin Tyler, permaneciendo unos cuatro años.

Luego entró en una tienda de productos secos en Siracusa, continuando tres años. Luego enseñó escuelas de escritura durante unos cuatro años en varias ciudades, luego dirigió un barco en el Canal Erie durante varios años. Y alrededor de 1850 se ubicó en Yatesville (en realidad, donde está Randall hoy es diferente del actual Yatesville, NY) y construyó una tienda, operando durante varios años.

Fue superintendente del Canal Erie durante tres años, y luego fue a la ciudad de Nueva York y se convirtió en Post Warden allí desde 1858 hasta 1885. Luego regresó a este condado, donde ha residido desde entonces. Jugó un papel decisivo para que la oficina de correos se estableciera aquí, y llamó a la oficina Randall.

Su hijo, John E., fue el primer director de correos. Se casó con Mary A. Martin y tuvo seis hijos, cinco de los cuales sobreviven: Louis E., Helen, Elizabeth, Thurlow Weed, Louise E., Darsey E. y John Edward, William B. y George H., los últimos tres. fallecido. Lounsbury ha sido republicano desde que se organizó ese partido.

página 260 NUEVA YORK EN LA REVOLUCIÓN, SUPLEMENTO

LOS COMISIONADOS DE FALTAS

Estos funcionarios vendieron los bienes raíces de los conservadores y otros que se habían pasado al enemigo o se sospechaba que no eran amigos de la causa estadounidense. Eran mucho más sistemáticos en sus cuentas que los comisionados de secuestro que se ocupaban, en su mayor parte, de la propiedad personal. Los Comisionados de Confiscaciones también recibieron y entregaron al Tesorero del Estado, Certificados emitidos por los Auditores para Liquidar y Arreglar las Cuentas de las Tropas de este Estado. Algunas de las ganancias de los comisionados ayudaron a los pobres. (Ver Los pobres que salieron de la ciudad de Nueva York, en el Capítulo sobre "Los congresos provinciales").

El Comité de Seguridad, el 1 de marzo de 1777, aprobó una Resolución relativa a los Comisionados de Confiscaciones. Habiendo surgido dudas con respecto a la relación de esta Resolución con el Tesorero del Estado, se aprobó una ley para eliminar tales dudas. El Tesorero acusó recibo de más de £ 9000 en virtud de esta Resolución, entre el 11 de mayo de 1777 y el 1 de julio de 1779. Esto lo describe como "Dinero adeudado a Personas que estaban dentro de las Líneas Enemigos, o fuera del Estado oa Personas que se había negado a recibir Contin'l Money ". Durante una parte de junio de 1779 y posteriormente, el Tesorero rechazó las ofertas de Dinero depreciado debido a sus dudas con respecto a la Resolución, señalada anteriormente.

El trabajo de los Comisionados de Confiscaciones no comenzó hasta finales de la Guerra. La ley del 22 de octubre de 1779 realmente inició el trabajo dando los nombres de muchas personas cuyas propiedades habían sido adquiridas. La ley del 10 de marzo de 1780 ordenó a los comisionados vender propiedades de este tipo de inmediato. El 12 de mayo de 1784, se autorizó al gobernador a nombrar siete comisionados. El cargo de Comisionado de Confiscaciones fue abolido el 21 de marzo de 1788 y todos los poderes correspondientes fueron otorgados al Agrimensor General, Simeon De Witt. Tenía autoridad para vender todas las Tierras Perdidas al Estado. Sus Cuentas muestran que los compradores pagaron por las Tierras en Certificados de este tipo, Gravamen, Depreciación, Reclamación y Principal.

La ley del 11 de abril de 1792 derogó la ley del 22 de octubre de 1779, para que los nombrados en esta última pudieran regresar, pero la ley no afectó el estado de su propiedad. El 18 de diciembre de 1792, se aprobó una ley para el alivio de varias de las personas cuyas propiedades habían sido tomadas.

El Tesorero del Estado, en agosto de 1794, declaró que había recibido 109005.11.0 en Reclamaciones contra Fincas Confiscadas que habían sido liquidadas y depositadas en el Tesoro.

Por conveniencia, el Estado se dividió en estos Distritos: - Oriental, Medio, Sur y Occidental.

El Distrito Este incluía los condados de Charlotte, Cumberland y Gloucester. Los comisionados fueron David Hopkins y Alexander Webster. Se les pagaba las 24 horas del día y eran asistidos por muchos tasadores. Las ventas de Hopkins, de octubre a diciembre de 1784, fueron 9982.2.0 en 1785, 6113.19.3 y, en 1787-1788, 584.17.3. Las ventas de Webster, en 1786, fueron 4160.4.7 y 21149.10.1. El monto de sus Ventas conjuntas fue de aproximadamente 40000 libras esterlinas. Se les entregaron Obligaciones Negociables o Obligaciones Negociables de Depreciación para la compra de Tierras y lo entregaron al Tesorero del Estado.

El distrito medio comprendía los condados de Dutchess, Orange y Ulster. Samuel Dodge, Daniel Graham y John Hathorn fueron los comisionados. Su paga era de 24 por día. (Ver ley del 12 de mayo de 1784). Las Cuentas muestran que sus gastos fueron 2707.9.3. del 9 de abril de 1780 al 30 de abril de 1785. Graham's Sales, de julio de. De 1785 a mayo de 1786 fueron 3075. Las ventas, aparentemente, alcanzaron un total de 64363.8.6, siendo las del condado de Dutchess mayores que las de los otros dos condados juntos. Pagaron en la Tesorería del Estado los siguientes tipos de Bonos: - Tasa de barbero, Oficina de préstamos, Caballo y Agentes estatales de Curtenius.

El Distrito Sur, a cargo de los comisionados Stoutenburgh y Philip Van Cortlandt, incluía los condados de Kings, Nueva York, Queens, Richmond, Suffolk y Westchester. Entre sus documentos se encuentra una Resolución de la Convención, del 11 de febrero de 1777, que describe William Lounsbury como "una de las personas afectadas, en Spikeing the Cannon en Kingsbridge & amp que luego se unió al Enemigo y fue asesinado

Muchos de los lectores del Árbol tienen acceso a computadoras en el hogar o computadoras compartidas en bibliotecas o escuelas. Si está en este grupo, le alegrará saber que puede explorar más información familiar en Internet. Simplemente apunte su software web a:

Aquí encontrará información sobre reuniones, recursos genealógicos, un árbol genealógico en línea, asistencia para la investigación y grupos de discusión. ¡Es fácil de usar y divertido, pruébalo hoy!

Notas de Pennoyer y Lounsbury

Por Winifred Lovering Holman, S.B., F.A.S.G., de Lexington, Mass .

Como genealogista de Harvard, en lo que respecta a la investigación relacionada con sus becas basadas en requisitos ancestrales, tenía a mano gran parte del material de Pennoyer y Lounsbury. Los datos adicionales se obtuvieron en 1949, para la Sra. John Mitchell Morrison, de Towanda, Pensilvania, y Miami, Florida, y se presentan aquí con su permiso y con el debido reconocimiento de su generosidad.

Estas breves notas deben considerarse como una base para una investigación más exhaustiva, ya que se han consultado pocas fuentes originales.

Había tres hermanos Pennoyer en Inglaterra, en quienes estamos interesados. Parece extraño que nadie, que yo sepa, haya obtenido y publicado información alguna sobre su origen y ascendencia. El Colegio de Armas de Londres tiene un pedigrí parcial, al que he añadido datos, pero no contiene nada sobre los antecedentes. Como veremos más adelante, pudo haber habido un cuarto hermano.

En 1901, el fallecido Henry F. Waters publicó, en dos volúmenes, su "Genealogical Gleanings in England", y en el volumen 1, páginas 503-506, presenta los testamentos de William y Samuel Pennoyer, hermanos, y sus dos viudas. Estamos particularmente interesados ​​en la voluntad de William, cuyo legado fundó Pennoyer Aid en Harvard.

Samuel, un comerciante de Londres, se había casado con Rose Hobson, y redactó su testamento el 29 de junio de 1652, probado el 12 de mayo de 1654, mencionando a su hermano, William, ya la esposa de este último, Martha. Rose se casó, en segundo lugar como su segunda esposa, Samuel Disbrow y murió en Elsworth, Cambridgshire, el 10 de diciembre de 1690, a los setenta y cinco años, mientras que Disbrow murió allí, el 4 de marzo de 1698, a los ochenta y dos años.

William se había casado con Martha, hija de John Josselyn, de Hide Hall, Sawbridgeworth, Herts., Con su esposa, Elizabeth Wiseman. Como ciudadano y fabricante de ropa de Londres, William Pennoyer hizo su testamento el 25 de mayo de 1670, probado el 13 de febrero de 1670-71.

En este instrumento, dejó 800 "para ser enviado a la Corporación para la Propagación del Evangelio en Nueva Inglaterra", con la intención y propósito de que su valor en bienes y mercancías de ese país "pueda ser entregado a la venta de los mismos a Robert Pennoyer de Stamford de Nueva Inglaterra para el mismo uso y beneficio de él y de cada uno de sus hijos, con la intención y el propósito de que lo que se haga con él por encima del dicho valor de ochocientas libras en las mercancías de ese país será y seguirá siendo su hermana Elianor Reading y su esposo Thomas Reading y todos sus hijos por igual y con indiferencia ".

Poseía terrenos y viviendas en co. Norfolk, de los cuales 10 por año se entregaron a la Corporación para la Propagación del Evangelio en Nueva Inglaterra y 34 por año. con el cual "dos becarios y dos eruditos serán educados para siempre, mantenidos y criados en el colegio llamado Cambridge College en Nueva Inglaterra, del cual deseo que uno de ellos, tan a menudo como se presente la ocasión, pueda ser de la línea o la posteridad del dijo Robert Pennoyer, si son capaces de ello y el otro de la colonia ahora o tarde se llama Newhaven Colony, si es conveniente ”.

Harvard vendió esta propiedad de Norfolk solo recientemente. El tercer hermano, Robert Pennoyer, es el fundador de la rama estadounidense. A continuación se presentan breves notas sobre él.

Robert Pennoyer, hermano de William (el testador de 1670 y benefactor del Harvard College), un tornero de oficio, nacido quizás en 1614, estaba vivo en enero de 1677, luego de Mamaroneck, Westchester Co., NY, y residía en Gravesend, Long Island, NY, Stamford, Conn. Y Rye y Mamaroneck. Se casó, primero, hacia 1652, con una esposa desconocida, que se convirtió en la madre de sus hijos, y que murió el 6 de marzo de 1671 y, en segundo lugar, después de 1666, y antes del 6 de marzo de 1671, Elizabeth Scofield, viuda de Richard Scofield de Stamford.

Se ha pensado que este Robert es idéntico a un Robert Pennaird, de 21 años, que con un Thomas Pennaird, de 10 años (posiblemente un hermano menor), llegó en el Hopewell, de Londres, Thomas Babb, Master. Ella zarpó a mediados de septiembre y llegó a Boston, Massachusetts, a fines de noviembre de 1635. (Banks: 'Planters of the Commonwealth', 1930). Sin duda, él era el Robert Pennoyer, de Gravesend, Long Island, en 164. -, y nuevamente en 1645. (Registro, 16:99, 102.) 23 de agosto de 1656 nos enteramos de que las tierras de Robert Pennoyer, et als., en Gravesend fueron examinadas, del Calendario de la Sra. Holandesa, 189. ( Ibíd., 65: 242.) 1 de agosto de 1670, su hija, Elizabeth "Penrye", estaba casada con Richard Lownesbury, de Court of Assizes, 2572. (O'Callaghan: "New York Marriages", 1860, 239.) 24 Diciembre de 1670 John Richbell, de Mamaroneck, con su esposa Ann, vendido a Robert "Penoire". Homelots, números 2 y 3, allí, ver Liber 1677-1683 [¿en Albany?] (Registro, 58: 250).

El 6 de marzo de 1671, se hizo el inventario o la herencia de Richard Scofield, difunto de Stamford, fallecido, presentada el 16 de marzo de 1671, que menciona a la viuda, ahora esposa de Robert "Penoyer". (Mead: Ms. "Fairfield Probate", 1:22.) El siguiente registro aparece en Boston el 18 de octubre de 1671.

"Soy Robert Penoyer Late de Stamford doe. Ordayne mi ... amigo Jonathan Sellick para que sea mi. Attourney para exigir y recibir para mí mi legado completo. Me dejó mi hermano, el Sr. William Penoyer Late de Londres. Como testigos de mi mano y escala en Rye este 18 de octubre de 1671. Robert Penoire ". Ingenio: John Richman, Miles Okely y la marca de Nicolas Webster atestiguada el 19 de octubre de 1672 por Richman y Webster recd. 20 de abril de 1672 (Suffolk Deeds, 6: 280).

Otras escrituras son de interés para probar los nombres de sus hijos:

8 de enero de 1671-72, Robert "Penoyer", de Mamaroneck, transfirió la propiedad, comprada a Richbell, a sus amados hijos: William y Thomas Penoyer, el ganado y los enseres domésticos que se repartirían entre dichos hijos e hija, Martha Penoyer. Robert iba a Tener la gestión completa de toda la propiedad durante su vida natural. Escrituras de Westchester, B: 100. (Registro, 58: 351.) Otro resumen de esta escritura da la fecha del 18 de enero de 1671-72, llama al otorgante "Penoyre", recita que les dio a los niños, William y Thomas, todos los derechos sobre su patrimonio, reales y personal al hijo mayor, William, dos tercios de la tierra comprada de dicho Richbell, y por falta de emisión al hijo Thomas, la hija, Martha, también nombrada. Escrituras de Westchester, B: 100. (Ibíd., 54: 394.)

1 de enero de 1677, una declaración que William Penoyer legó a Walter Butler, de Greenwich Conn., Hijo de Evan Butler, de Cursonn, en el condado de Hereford, la suma de cuatro veinte libras, Westchester Deeds, en Albany, 4: 26. (Ibíd., 58.349.)

Registrado para el Sr. George Heathcott, el 7 de enero de 1677. "Mientras que William Penoyer, Esq., Ciudadano y trabajador textil de Londres, hizo su último testamento por escrito con fecha del día cinco y veinte de mayo ... de 1670 y entre otras cosas ordenó que se distribuyeran 800 libras esterlinas en mercancía apta para Nueva Inglaterra y se enviaran a la Corporación para la Propagación del Evangelio en Nueva Inglaterra entregadas a Robert Penoyer de Stratford [Stamford] en beneficio de él mismo y de los niños y nombró a Richard Leton Esq ., & amp Michael Davison, Esq., Ejecutores... el residuo para Ellena. Reading y sus hijos. El sd Michael Davison ha muerto desde entonces. Ahora no existe tal corporación en Nueva Inglaterra a la cual los bienes sd puedan ser consignados y vendidos y las ganancias se dividen entre las personas respectivas y tampoco se puede tomar seguridad para los niños. Robert Penoyer es trasladado a Mamaroneck en el estado de Nueva York y tiene solo 4 hijos vivos, a saber, Elizabeth Pennoyer, de 24 años, William Pennoyer, de 22 años, Thomas Pennoyer, de d 17, y Martha

Pennoyer, 11 años, menor de edad, enero de 1677. Firmado

Elizabeth Pennoyer, ahora Lounsbury

Ingenio: William Dyre, George Kniffon, John Royse, William Hall y Anthony Buckholm. Westchester Deeds, en Albany, 4: 9. (Ibíd., 58: 349.)

29 de enero de 1677, Robert Penoyer, de Mamaroneck, Turner, William Penoyer, del mismo lugar, hijo del dicho Robert, con Richard Lounsbury, de Rye, Connecticut, y Elizabeth Lounsbury, su esposa, hija mayor del dicho Robert , transmitido a Richard Leton, de Londres, Inglaterra, ya George Heathcott, de Middlesex Co., Inglaterra, marinero, por fianza. Westchester Deeds, en Albany, 4:23. (Ibíd., 58: 349.)

Hay mención en una escritura, fechada el 2 de abril de 1694, de la tierra que anteriormente estuvo en posesión de Robert Pennoyer y ahora en posesión de su hijo (no nombrado). Westchester Deeds, B: 177. (Ibid., 54: 394.) Por lo tanto, parecería que Robert seguramente había muerto en abril de 1694.


Peter Demill - Historia

Inicio Existencias y colecciones Ayudas para la búsqueda Mercaderes y armadores de las provincias marítimas de Canadá

Comerciantes y armadores de las provincias marítimas de Canadá

Una guía de la documentación de los comerciantes y armadores de las provincias marítimas de Canadá

Libro de cartas de Herbert Crowe, 1902
18 páginas de registros textuales

Bosquejo biográfico
Herbert Crowe, 1856-1933, era un nativo de Clifton, condado de Colchester, Nueva Escocia. Era hijo de James y Harriet Crowe de Old Barns, Clifton, donde su padre tenía un exitoso negocio de construcción naval. Construyó un extenso negocio de granos en el oeste de Canadá, y luego regresó a Nueva Escocia, donde abrió un negocio de madera en Halifax, conocido como Crowe Lumber Co. Regresó al oeste, donde estableció otra compañía de madera en Winnipeg, Beaver. Compañía maderera. A medida que su negocio prosperaba, trasladó su sede a Nueva York, donde inició otro negocio de cereales, y se convirtió en un comprador destacado en la Bolsa de cereales. Se retiró de los negocios en la primera década del siglo XX, pasando sus veranos en Nueva Escocia y sus inviernos en Boston y Nueva York. Murió en Nueva Escocia en octubre de 1933.
Fuentes: Información proporcionada de su obituario en el Truro Daily News y de Carol Campbell

Alcance y contenido
Este artículo incluye extractos fotocopiados de un libro de cartas, 1902, que contiene correspondencia relacionada con el desarrollo de una política sobre construcción naval en Canadá.

Informacion de referencia
Los derechos de autor pertenecen a los Archivos Públicos de Nueva Escocia.
Ubicación: MF-0166, Archivo de Historia Marítima
Ayuda para la búsqueda del Archivo de Historia Marítima 27

Información administrativa
Adquirido en los Archivos Públicos de Nueva Escocia, 1977.
Fotocopiada del documento original conservado en los Archivos Públicos de Nueva Escocia en 1977.

Documentos de la familia Hilyard, 1855-1881
3,5 centímetros de registros textuales

Bosquejo biográfico
Thomas Hilyard era un constructor naval y maderero, nacido en St. John, New Brunswick en octubre de 1810, hijo de Thomas Hilyard y Margaret Miles. Se casó con Matilda Dyer y tuvo trece hijos. He died 22 June 1873 at Saint John.

Administrative history
Little detail of Thomas Hilyard's activities prior to 1852 are known. In 1842 he described himself as a shipwright and was also a registered shipowner. With the construction of two big ships in 1852 he started building on a large scale. He obtained, first by lease and later by purchase, a shipyard in Portland, Saint John County. In 1854 he bought an adjoining steam sawmill. In 1856 or 1857 he expanded by leasing and subsequently purchasing a neighboring shipyard from John Haws, for decades a leading shipbuilder in the area.

Hilyard launched at least 48 vessels, a number surpassed by few Canadian builders. His larger ships were often sold to major shipowners in Liverpool, England while the smaller vessels were generally sold locally. He gained a high reputation as a shipbuilder and the quality and quantity of his ships and the extent of his saw milling operations made him a leading figure in the economic life of the Saint John region.

Thomas Hilyard also registered eighteen vessels on the Saint John registry between 1842 and 1877.

After Hilyard died in 1873 his two sons Thomas K. and Henry continued the business until 1915.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol.X Ships and Seafarers of Atlantic Canada, CD ROM, Maritime History Archive, 1998

Scope and content
These papers contain accounts 1855-1863 leases for shipyard 1857-1864, bills of sale for vessels1856-1864, Moss Rose contracts to build vessels 1855-1865 correspondence 1862-1880 insurance policy for the Lottie Stewart, 1876 ships papers, 1864-1881, including the Meeranza at Liverpool, a charter party for the Teresa and a co-partnership agreement, 1869.

These thirty-three items represent approximately ten percent of the original collection held at the New Brunswick Museum.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: R95-17, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Photocopies acquired in the 1970s.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Thomas Hilyard, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 101
Hilyard Family Papers, New Brunswick Museum

James Peake papers, 1835-1866
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
James Ellis Peake, who emigrated from Plymouth, England to Charlottetown in 1823, was a merchant and shipowner of Prince Edward Island. He married a daughter of Ralph Brecken and Mathilda Robinson. In 1841, he sat on the Executive Council with John Brecken and Thomas Heath Haviland, the colonial secretary who had married another daughter of the Breckens. At this time, James Peake was the major shipbuilder in the colony.

Peake may have begun his own firm in the year following his arrival in Prince Edward Island. After 1824, he also appears to have been associated with the Brecken firm. In 1825, he purchased his first sailing vessel, one of 152 vessels which he would own over the next thirty-five years. These vessels were usually in the North Atlantic trade, mainly between Prince Edward Island or a New Brunswick timber port, and either Liverpool or Plymouth.

Peake's vessels were also involved in the coastal trade, carrying out island produce and picking up timber cargoes for transatlantic voyages. These investments marked him as one of the largest owners of shipping in eastern Canada during the first half of the nineteenth century. Peake was also engaged in other activities which were related to his maritime interests.

Peake owned several stores at which he sold the goods which he imported on his own vessels. He also acted as a broker for marine insurance, and operated a ship chandlery and outfitting business. Additionally, he dabbled in other mercantile activities until his death In 1856, Peake had become ill and returned to England where he died, May 4, 1860.
Sources: Lewis R. Fischer, "An engine yet moderate": James Peake, entrepreneurial behaviour and the shipping industry of Nineteenth Century Prince Edward Island, The Enterprising Canadians , Maritime History Group, 1979

Scope and content
These papers include selections from the Peake papers, consisting of letterbooks, 1835-1837 and 1845-1850, and outgoing and in-coming correspondence for 1841-1866.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island.
Location: Mic.1-2-4-11/12, Maritime History Archive
Maritime History Archive finding aid 74

Administrative information
Filmed from the original papers held at the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island.

James W. Carmichael papers, 1890-1906
30 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
Businessman, shipowner and politician of New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, James William Carmichael, born December 16, 1819, was the son of James Carmichael, the founder of the town of New Glasgow. He became a clerk in his father's business and in the early 1850s gradually took over his father's mercantile and shipping interests. By 1854, the firm was known as J.W. Carmichael and Company. He registered his first vessel, the Helen Stairs , in 1851, and, between then and 1869, built at least fourteen more vessels. By the 1870s, his shipbuilding yards were the most prominent in Pictou County. He constructed his largest vessel, the 1,174 ton Thiorva in 1876.

Carmichael invested in local business he held the agency for the Bank of Nova Scotia from 1866 to 1886, was president of the New Glasgow Marine Insurance Association and was chair of the New Glasgow Underwiters Association. By diversifying his investments, Carmichael maintained a strong position in Pictou county and his worth grew steadily. Carmichael was elected to the Nova Scotia Legislature as the member for Pictou in 1867, as a liberal and opponent of confederation. He lost his seat in 1872, was re-elected in 1874, and was defeated in 1878, 1882, and 1896. He was active in the community life of New Glasgow, taking part in religious, civic and charitable organizations. Carmichael died May 1, 1903.

The firm of J.W. Carmichael continued after the death of James and his son. In 1962, the firm went into voluntary liquidation bequeathing $670,000 to charitable organizations.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol. XIII, pp. 169-171

Scope and content
These papers consist of photocopies of part of the business papers of James Carmichael. The letterbooks deal mainly with shipbuilding in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, and other shipping business, and include correspondence with shipbrokers, Scammel Brothers, 1892-1901, Black, Moore and Co., 1893-1894, as well as correspondence with captains, 1891-1906 for the vessels Arnguda, Rock City, Helga, Brynhilda and Swanhilda and miscellaneous records such as vouchers and disbursements, 1890-1901.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: R95-35, Maritime History Archive

Administration information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1980.
Photocopied in 1980 from the original documents held at Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG2, No 224-421.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Carmichael, James W., Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 037

Leavitt (Lovett, Lovitt) Family papers , 1783-1875
1 reel of microfilm

Biographical sketch
The Leavitt family were merchants, shipowners and shipmasters of Saint John, New Brunswick.
Jonathan Leavitt (1746-1811)was a ship's captain and pilot. He married Hephzibah Peabody and they had eight sons and two daughters. His son Thomas (C1795 - 1850), who after his fathers death continued the family business, married Mary Ann Ketchum in 1822 and they had four sons and three daughters.

Thomas Leavitt's maternal aunts had married James Simmons and James White of the ship owning firm of Simmons, Hazen and White.

Administrative history
Johnathan Leavitt (1746-1811) came to Saint John in 1762 and served as captain and pilot on the vessels of the firm of Simonds, Hazen and White prior to the American Revolution. He prospered as a shipowner and mariner and at his death in 1811 he left a considerable estate. His son Thomas inherited half-interest in the family home, ownership of four choice lots in Saint John and a seventh part of a large landholding on the Miramichi River. In 1817 Thomas was admitted as a merchant freeman in the city of Saint John and from that time on he played an active role in business life in New Brunswick. In the 1830s and 1840s he acted as agent for the Liverpool Association of Underwriters and a number of New York marine insurance companies. In 1835 he was made the U.S. consul for Saint John. He was a founder of the City Bank in 1837 and later became the president of the Bank of New Brunswick. Thomas died 24 October 1850 at the age of 55.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. VII, p. 493 Leavitt Family Papers, Maritime History Archive

Scope and content
These papers include ships accounts, insurance policies and papers for the Sally , 1796-1801, Dove , 1797-1799, snow Mary , 1803-1804, Mary , 1803-1804, Susanna , 1805, Cattle , 1810, Paraquay , 1849-, General Higgins , 1851-52, Hibernia , 1789-1791, Belmont , 1858, Lampedo , 1856-1858 and Rosannah, 1785 Lovettt family letters (mostly to Daniel, George and Joseph), 1802-1866 Indentures and bonds, 1798-1874 Bills, receipts and promissory notes, 1700-1856 Daniel Lovett account book, 1798 Saint John city Poor House account book, 1810-1813.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-2, Maritime History Archive
There is an item level index included with the microfilm

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum 198-.
Filmed by MicRo Ltd. for the New Brunswick Museum, 1978.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Leavitt, William, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 136

Letterbooks of N. Smith DeMill , 1833-1851
1 reel of microfilm

Biographical sketch
Nathan DeMill,(1804-1864), loyalist, was a prosperous merchant, shipowner, and lumberman in Saint John, New Brunswick. He was active on the board of governors of Acadia College. Having left the Church of England, he became a Baptist who was a man of strong principles and a strict abstainer, nick-named "cold-water DeMill".
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. X, p. 223

Scope and content
These two letterbooks dated 1833-1847 and 1847-1851, which contain correspondence from Mr. DeMill to various businesses provide information about accounts, orders, cargo, sailing dates and voyage destinations.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-1, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum.
Microfilmed from the original documents held at the New Brunswick Museum.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, DeMill, Thomas, Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, File 062

Moran-Galloway Company account book , 1867-1878
1 reel of microfilm

Administrative history
The Moran-Galloway Company were shipowners of Saint John, New Brunswick.

Scope and content
This account book records "Owners of vessels in Account Current with Moran, Galloway & Co", 1867-1878. In many of the entries, the owners include Robert Galloway, Robert G. Moran, and James H. Moran. The names of the vessels are also identified. In the last entry, Moran, Galloway & Co. is replaced with Vaughan Brothers & Co.
Fuentes:

Reference information
Copyright is held by the New Brunswick Museum.
Location: Mic.6-6-1-6, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the New Brunswick Museum, 1980.
Filmed for the New Brunswick Museum, 1980.

Associated material
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Wills and Inventories Collection, Moran, Robert G., Maritime History Archive, Collection 6, 172

Pickford and Black shipping registers , 1880-1905
1 reel of microfilm

Administrative history
Partners Robert Pickford (1841-1914) and William A. Black (1847-1934) were ship chandlers and grocers of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Pickford founded the business 1870, and Black joined the firm in 1978, which was still flourishing in 1929. The firm expanded into shipping and steamships, and the West Indies trade. The firm was also an agent for Lloyd's and other European steamship lines.

Scope and content
This collection consists of three registers of incoming vessels, at Halifax, 1880-1905. The records were kept by Pickford and Black, but include all incoming shipping regardless of agent. Registers give the date of arrival, the rig, vessel name, tonnage, port of registry, master, where from, number of days at sea, consignee, cargo, wharf, date of sailing and destination.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: Mic.1-1-1-16, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1978.
Filmed from the Pickford and Black papers held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG 7 v. 43 - 45.

Thomas Aylward fonds , 1885-1901
3.5 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
Thomas Aylward was born at Falmouth, Nova Scotia in 1829. In 1854, he obtained his Master Mariner's certificate in London. His first command was on the ship China and he later commanded the British Queen and the Nile . He commanded vessels for the firm of John S. DeWolfe & Co., of Liverpool, England, sailing to India and Australia, and for Bennett Smith of Windsor, Nova Scotia. For several years he was managing owner of the ship Avoca and barquentines St. Croix , St. Paul and St. Peter . Aylward was a member of the Board of Stewards of the Methodist Church of Windsor, N.S. and was on the building committee of the church, St. John's United, which was erected in 1899. He died at Windsor on March 21, 1902.

Scope and content
This fonds consists of shipping account books, 1885-1893, bills and receipts for cargoes, 1885-1901. It includes records of expenses for the operation of vessels in Aylward's command including the St. Croix , 1895-1897, the St. Paul , the St. Peter and the Avoca , 1894-1899 lists of port charges seamen's wages, 1898-1899 and charters, accounts and insurances, 1900-1901.

Reference information
Copyright is held by Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management.
Location: R95-16, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1980.
Copied from the original documents held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1980.

Vessel's papers of the barque Snow Queen , 1876-1889
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
Frieze and Roy were merchants and shipowners of Maitland, Nova Scotia. Several people held shares in the barque Snow Queen (O.N. 64900), built at Maitland and registered in 1872: Thomas Kenny, Halifax merchant (24 shares) George Frieze, Maitland merchant (8 shares) Thomas Roy, Maitland merchant (12 shares) Alexander Roy, Maitland shipbuilder (12 shares) John Roy, Maitland farmer/planter (4 shares) and Hiram Grant, Maitland shipbuilder (4 shares). In 1891 the barque was sold to foreigners in Sweden.

Scope and content
The papers were microfilmed from the papers of Frieze and Roy and include charter parties and other papers relating to the vessel Snow Queen , 1876-1889.

Reference information
Location: Mic.5-10-4-1/2, Maritime History Archive
Copyright is held by the creator or his/her heirs.

W.D. Lawrence papers , 1835-1908
2 reels of microfilm

Biographical sketch
William Dawson Lawrence, born at Gilford, Northern Ireland in 1817, moved to Nova Scotia with his parents when he was an infant. In 1838, he apprenticed in the shipyards of Alexander Lyle and John Chappell at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. In 1847, he designed the Wanderer , a barque of 568 tons, which was launched in 1849. He then became involved in the design, construction, ownership and operation of his own vessels, deep sea barques and ships which carried general cargoes to all parts of the world and included the 2,459 ton ship William D. Lawrence , registered in 1874. The construction of this vessel put Lawrence in debt for $27,000, but over the next eight years it not only cleared the debt, but made a profit for its owners of over $140,000. Lawrence was active in politics throughout the 1860s. In 1859, he was appointed Justice of the Peace for Hants County, and in 1863 he was elected to represent Hants County in the provincial Assembly where he supported free education and adamantly opposed confederation. In the election of 1871, he made repeal of confederation a key issue but was defeated by William Henry Allison. He retained an active interest in politics until his death in 1886 at Maitland, Nova Scotia.
Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol. XI, pp. 501-502

Scope and content
These papers include: account books, 1859-1902, 1861-1862 logbook of brig Aeolis , 1867 a book containing newspaper clippings miscellaneous loose documents, 1835-1908, including indentures, bills of sale and petitions.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the owner Miss Abbie Lawrence, Maitland, Hants County, NS.
Location: Mic.5-3-5-4/5, Maritime History Archive

Administrative information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Filmed from the original documents by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in 1963.
Original papers held by Miss Abbie Lawrence, granddaughter of W.D. Lawrence.

William Roche letterbook , 1834-1841
3 centimetres of textual records

Biographical sketch
William Roche Sr., 1800-1887, was a merchant and sea captain of Halifax. He was the president of Union Marine Insurance Company, and an alderman of the city of Halifax, 1849-1850 and 1862-1864.
Sources: Public Archives of Nova Scotia, Finding Aid to the Roche Papers

Scope and content
This is a photocopy of a letterbook , 1834-1841, of William Roche, partner of the firm of Roche and Kinnear. The correspondence contains information mostly about cargoes and the West India trade.

Reference information
Copyright is held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Location: MF-0167, Maritime History Archive
Maritime History Archive finding aid 26

Administration information
Purchased from the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1981.
Copied from the original held at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia, MG3 v. 207.


The Cursed, Buried City That May Never See The Light of Day

Thirty-three years ago, Peter Brosnan heard a story that seemed too crazy to be true: buried somewhere along California&rsquos rugged Central Coast, beneath acres of sand dunes, lay the remains of a lost city. According to his friend at New York University&rsquos film school, the remains of a massive Egyptian temple, a dozen plaster sphinxes, eight mammoth lions, and four 40-ton statues of Ramses II were all supposedly entombed in the sands 150 some-odd miles north of Los Angeles.

&ldquoIt was an absolutely cockamamie story,&rdquo Brosnan says. &ldquoI thought he was nuts.&rdquo The ruins weren&rsquot authentic Egyptian ones, of course. They were the 60-year-old remains of a massive Hollywood set&mdashthe biggest, most expensive one ever built at the time. The faux Egyptian scenery had played the role of the City of the Pharaoh in one of Hollywood&rsquos first true epics, Cecil B DeMille&rsquos 1923 film Los diez Mandamientos. The set had required more than 1,500 carpenters to build and used over 25,000 pounds of nails. The production nearly ruined DeMille and his studio. When the shoot wrapped, the tempestuous director supposedly strapped dynamite to the structures and razed the whole set, burying it in the sands near Guadalupe, California, to ensure no rival director could benefit from his vision.

&ldquoIf 1,000 years from now archaeologists happen to dig beneath the sands of Guadalupe,&rdquo the director teased, &ldquoI hope they will not rush into print with the amazing news that Egyptian civilization&hellipextended all the way to the Pacific Coast.&rdquo

Bullshit, Brosnan thought. But then his buddy pointed him to a line in DeMille&rsquos posthumously published autobiography. &ldquoIf 1,000 years from now archaeologists happen to dig beneath the sands of Guadalupe,&rdquo the director teased, &ldquoI hope they will not rush into print with the amazing news that Egyptian civilization&hellipextended all the way to the Pacific Coast.&rdquo

By 1982, Brosnan had graduated from film school and was earning a living as a freelance journalist, but he couldn't shake his friend's story. The film student in him was enchanted by the idea of uncovering and preserving a forgotten bit of Hollywood&rsquos history. That summer, Brosnan and his friend drove across the country, from New York City to a stretch of coast near Santa Barbara, to see the ruins for themselves. The whole affair, he thought, would make for a hell of a documentary.

&ldquoWe were young, wannabe filmmakers, and I thought this was golden,&rdquo Brosnan says today. &ldquoWe&rsquoll find some archeologists, we&rsquoll find the set, we&rsquoll dig it up. The story writes itself.&rdquo

The City of the Pharaoh was not so much a movie set as it was a monument to the man who built it. DeMille was already a towering star in the early days of Hollywood, but in 1922 he was recovering from a streak of critical flops. He had gained a reputation for his sense of spectacle in films like Joan the Woman y Male and Female, y Los diez Mandamientos was to be his comeback.

Delivering DeMille&rsquos blockbuster meant deploying a barrage of special effects, at least by the standards of the day. In 1923, set design was the only way to visually transport viewers to the Sinai in the time of Moses. The &ldquodesert&rdquo DeMille chose for his Israelites to wander, while certainly more convenient than filming on location in Egypt, presented a logistical nightmare. There were no nearby cities, no paved roads, and no place for his cast of thousands to stay. The 22,000 acres of sand dunes that separated the small farming town of Guadalupe from the Pacific Ocean was harsh and desolate. The sharp-grained sand that gives the wind there its added sting is devoid of nutrients, and, combined with constant salt sprays from the sea, makes life a rarity in the dunes. For DeMille, it was perfect.

The sphinx on set in 1923. (Foto: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

&ldquoYour skin will be cooked raw,&rdquo DeMille told his army of 3,500 actors and extras, according to a Los Angeles Times reporter on the scene. &ldquoYou will miss the comforts of home. You will be asked to endure perhaps the most unpleasant location in cinema history. I expect of you your supreme efforts.&rdquo

The costs were mounting even before DeMille arrived in Guadalupe to begin shooting. Preproduction expenses were already approaching $700,000&mdashan astronomical sum in the early days of Hollywood. More than a million pounds of statuary, concrete, and plaster were used to construct the 120-foot-tall, 800-foot-long temple and surrounding structures, and whole plaster sphinxes were sculpted and loaded onto trucks bound for the dunes. Every day on location meant feeding and housing the thousands of workers and animals. DeMille drove his construction team to work faster. Paramount Studios, the film&rsquos backer, began sending DeMille increasingly desperate letters demanding that he cut costs. One receipt, for $3,000 spent on a &ldquomagnificent team of horses&rdquo for the pharaoh, pushed the studio over the edge, according to Sumiko Higashi, a professor emeritus at The College at Brockport, SUNY, and author of Cecil B. DeMille and American Culture: the Silent Era, a biography of DeMille.

&ldquoYou have lost your mind,&rdquo telegraphed Adolph Zukor, founder of Paramount Pictures. &ldquoStop filming and return to Los Angeles at once.&rdquo DeMille refused. He took out a personal loan and waived his guaranteed percentage of the movie&rsquos gross to ensure the production continued. &ldquoI cannot and will not make pictures with a yardstick,&rdquo he wired back to the studio. &ldquoWhat do they want me to do?&rdquo he was rumored to have said, according to Higashi. &ldquoStop now and release it as The Five Commandments? & rdquo

Despite the warnings, DeMille pushed on. Bugles sounded every morning to 4:30 a.m. to wake the 5,000 workers and actors that populated the 24-square-mile tent city he&rsquod built in the dunes. (It earned the nickname the City of DeMille.) His workers raised the 109-foot-tall Great Gate&mdashan archway covered in intricate busts of rearing stallions&mdashand buttressed it with two 35-foot-tall clay-and-plaster statues of the Pharaoh. They erected a &ldquocity wall&rdquo&mdashbuilt 750 feet long because DeMille refused to work with painted backgrounds or limit his cinematic choices. Five mammoth sphinxes, weighing over five tons each, lined the entrance to the ersatz Egyptian city.

Filming was done at a madcap pace and condensed into a mere three weeks, according to Scott Eyman&rsquos biography, Empire of Dreams: The Epic Life of Cecil B. DeMille. But even with the Exodus in the can, one more problem loomed. According to a prior agreement with the landowners, DeMille&rsquos monumental set had to be dismantled before he left. Production costs had already ballooned to over $1.4 million, more than any other film previously made. DeMille considered reneging on the deal, Brosnan says, but likely worried about another issue: If he left is city standing, rival directors from other studios could easily swoop into Guadalupe and produce an epic on the cheap. DeMille would not have that. Rather than pay workers to take the set down, he settled on a faster method. Dynamite was supposedly strapped to the great temple he had built, and the City of the Pharaoh was brought down. According to legend, he ordered bulldozers to mound sand over the scattered remains and quickly left town.

Sixty years later, in 1983, Brosnan arrived at the dunes like the Children of Israel before him&mdashcompletely lost. He knew the set was buried somewhere, but the dunes stretched nearly 30 miles, across two counties. Looking for clues, he called the Air Force base that occupied much of the coastline. (&ldquoSir,&rdquo he says the sergeant on the other end of the line told him, &ldquoThere is no Egyptian city buried at Vandenberg Air Force Base.&rdquo) He haunted local libraries. He hounded municipal politicians. No one could provide hints about the set&rsquos exact location.

Then he stumbled upon an old ranch hand at a local tavern who had run cattle through the dunes for decades. On a cold and dark morning, after a savage storm had rearranged the topography of the dunes, Brosnan and the rancher hiked the sea of hundred-foot-high peaks, making their way a mile toward the pounding surf of the Pacific. Eventually they spied what locals called &ldquothe dune that never moves"&mdashthe sandy tomb that covered DeMille&rsquos set&mdashand saw a chunk of Plaster of Paris statuary poking through.

The sphinx before excavation. (Foto: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

The discovery made headlines around the world and Brosnan fielded calls from Los New York Times, NBC Nightly News, y Gente revista. His documentary idea, which had seemed pie-in-the-sky a few months earlier, looked promising. And his pitch&mdashthat the lost city is the oldest existing Hollywood set left that props from more modern shoots have already been preserved for posterity that early set design was, in a sense, an American art form&mdashstruck a chord in the industry. Brosnan tentatively called his documentary project The Lost City.

Charlton Heston, star of DeMille&rsquos 1956 remake of the film, publicly wished the project well, and local archaeologists volunteered their time to help in the excavation. A curator at the Smithsonian expressed interest in acquiring some pieces, once the dig wrapped. Promises for funding came in from Paramount Pictures and Bank of America. Brosnan moved to Hollywood with the intention of pursuing a career in the &lsquobiz. But first, he had to start digging.

&ldquoThis will be a scientific exploration by highly trained personnel,&rdquo said a Cambridge-educated archaeologist who signed on in 1983. &ldquoNot a case of simply digging up stuff like potatoes. And if we're serious about documenting movie history, then let's do it properly.&rdquo

Excavating the City of the Pharaoh. (Foto: Courtesy of the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes Center)

The excavation and documentary progressed, but Brosnan constantly faced two problems: funding and permitting. When he had the money, the county wouldn&rsquot let him touch the environmentally sensitive area. (The western snowy plover, a federally protected species that nests along california&rsquos coast, keeps the dunes off limits to people for half the year during breeding season.) By the time he got permission to dig, seven years later, funding had dried up. In 1990, several organizations, including the Smithsonian and the DeMille Family Trust, agreed to partially fund the project, and Brosnan and an archeologist used ground-penetrating radar to show that much of the set remained intact. But he couldn&rsquot raise enough money to excavate the actual ruins. He needed $175,000 for an archeological dig to recover 60-year-old fake relics. &ldquoWe don't see this as a fake Egypt,&rdquo Brosnan told a reporter at the time. &ldquoWe see this as real cinema history.&rdquo

But by the mid-1990s, Brosnan had been scraping by in the movie business for a decade, writing scripts and directing small projects. Lacking the money, he gave up the dig.

That DeMille&rsquos ruins have survived intact to this day, albeit buried in the sands, is a quirk of geography. The dunes, which cover some 35 square miles of the coast here, formed about 15,000 years ago, according to Doug Jenzen, executive director of the non-profit Dunes Center in Guadalupe. Jenzen and his team run a small museum out of a craftsman on the town&rsquos main (and only) drag and head up conservation efforts for the Dunes preserve. It&rsquos a charming little museum that seems out of place among the shuttered movie theater and boarded up buildings of Guadalupe, but the Dunes and DeMille are the only source of tourism dollars in this largely agricultural area, Jenzen says.

Thousands of years ago, rivers swept mineral-dense rocks and boulders from the nearby coastal range down to the sea, eventually pummeling the earth into fine grain sand. &ldquoOne of the reasons the movie set is preserved so well is because of the minerals in the sand,&rdquo Jenzen says. &ldquoYou know how when you order something mail order and it comes with the silica packets? The sand actually acted as a natural desiccant that preserved the plaster for the statues.&rdquo

For 15 years, the ruins were left undisturbed. Every few years a reporter or a researcher would call and Brosnan would humor him or her with details of his odyssey in the dunes. Each time, he hoped the new round of publicity would inject dollars into the effort, but nothing ever came through.

In October 2014, archeologists preserve decaying remains from wind-blown sand at Guadalupe Dunes. (Foto: AP)

In 2010, though, after the Los Angeles Times ran yet another piece on his unfinished dig, a woman&mdashwho wishes to remain anonymous&mdashcontacted Brosnan and offered to put up the money needed to finish the film. But by then he was married with children and had been away from the project for two decades. &ldquoMy first response was a moment of panic,&rdquo Brosnan says. &ldquoThere&rsquos no way I could do this.&rdquo

But Brosnan hired a producer and an editor, and last fall, with the help of a Santa Barbara County grant, a team of archeologists excavated most of a sphinx. Brosnan was on hand to film it. &ldquoWe had always wanted to end with a shot of the sphinx being found. And we got it,&rdquo he says. Using his early footage shot in the 1980s, Brosnan has pulled together a rough cut and has an editor working on a final draft. He says he&rsquos looking for distributors and considering the film festival circuit soon.

In the Dune Center, Jenzen and his team display parts of one of the large plaster sphinxes and smaller relics that have been successfully pulled from the sand. &ldquoAll of the statues were made of plaster,&rdquo he says. &ldquoThey were built to last two months&mdash92 years ago. I don&rsquot think this could have happened anywhere else on earth.&rdquo

However, Jenzen says the ruins may not survive another 92 years. Powerful storms in the last few years have shifted the sands of the dunes dramatically&mdashmore of the set is now exposed to the elements than ever before. The Dunes Center needs $100,000 to unearth another sphinx to add it to the display, Jenzen says, before it&rsquos too late. &ldquoIt&rsquos disappearing so fast,&rdquo he says, &ldquoArcheologists originally thought it&rsquod last until 2090&mdashbut every time we go out, more is gone.&rdquo


Ver el vídeo: DeMILLES LOST CITY (Diciembre 2021).