Noticias

Cronología de Jacobo I de Escocia

Cronología de Jacobo I de Escocia


Escocia desconocida

Junio ​​de 1551: Inglaterra acuerda poner fin a las hostilidades con Escocia después de una retirada anterior de sus fuerzas en 1549. El costo del cortejo atravesado desde 1544, más de medio millón de libras, ha roto el erario inglés.

1552: Se forma la Sociedad de St Andrews para promover el juego del golf en la ciudad. Se conoce a partir de 1754 como la Sociedad de Golfistas de St Andrews: y aún más tarde como el Royal and Ancient Golf Club.

24 de abril de 1558: María, reina de Escocia, de quince años, se casa con Françoise, delfín de Francia, de catorce años, en París. La boda va acompañada de un acuerdo que unificará las coronas de Escocia y Francia si hay hijos del matrimonio, y entregará la corona de Escocia a Francia si no las hay.

Noviembre de 1558: la reina Isabel le sucede a la corona de Inglaterra. El matrimonio de sus padres sigue al divorcio anterior de Enrique VIII, por lo que, en opinión de la Iglesia Católica, Elizabeth es ilegítima. Entonces, a los ojos de los católicos, especialmente en Escocia y Francia, María Reina de Escocia es la legítima reclamante de la corona inglesa.

11 de mayo de 1559: John Knox predica un sermón en Perth, iniciando un importante levantamiento protestante que se extiende rápidamente por el centro de Escocia.

29 de junio de 1559: John Knox predica un sermón en St Giles & # 39 en Edimburgo que puede considerarse como el verdadero punto de partida de la Reforma de la Iglesia en Escocia.

10 de julio de 1559: Francisco, esposo de María, reina de Escocia, se convierte en rey Francisco II de Francia.

27 de febrero de 1560: Se concluye el Tratado de Berwick en Berwick-upon-Tweed. Es un acuerdo realizado entre los ingleses y el grupo de nobles protestantes escoceses conocidos como los Señores de la Congregación para perseguir la expulsión de Escocia de las tropas francesas que defienden la regencia de Marie de Guise.

11 de junio de 1560: Muerte en el Castillo de Edimburgo de Marie de Guise, regente de Escocia y madre de María, reina de Escocia.

5 de julio de 1560: se acuerda el Tratado de Edimburgo entre Inglaterra y Francia que pone fin al asedio de las tropas inglesas a las fuerzas francesas que ocupaban Leith.

Agosto de 1560: El Parlamento escocés prohíbe la práctica de la misa en latín en Escocia y niega la autoridad del Papa, implementando de hecho la Reforma en toda Escocia.

5 de diciembre de 1560: el rey Francisco II de Francia, esposo de María, reina de Escocia, muere de una infección en el oído y es sucedido por su hermano Carlos IX de Francia.

19 de agosto de 1561: María, Reina de Escocia, de dieciocho años y ahora viuda, está cada vez más aislada en Francia y no tiene más remedio que aceptar una invitación para regresar a una Escocia ahora protestante como reina.

4 de septiembre de 1561: María, Reina de Escocia, se encuentra con John Knox en el Palacio de Holyroodhouse para tratar de resolver las diferencias religiosas entre ellos. La reunión fracasa y María no ratifica ni revoca las leyes protestantes aprobadas por el Parlamento.

28 de octubre de 1562: Mary Queen of Scots y su medio hermano James Stewart, primer conde de Moray, derrotan a George, cuarto conde de Huntly en la batalla de Corrichie, cerca de Aberdeen, para reducir su ambición y asaltar las preocupaciones protestantes en Escocia. Continúa saqueando el castillo de Huntly.

29 de julio de 1565: María, Reina de Escocia, se casa con su primo Lord Darnley en una boda católica.

26 de agosto de 1565: Mary Queen of Scots lidera un ejército fuera de Edimburgo para reprimir una rebelión liderada por su medio hermano James Stewart, primer conde de Moray, que se opone a su matrimonio. Ella pone en fuga la rebelión en lo que se conoce como el Chaseabout Raid.

9 de marzo de 1566: el secretario privado de María Reina de Escocia, David Rizzio, es asesinado frente a ella en el Palacio de Holyroodhouse por un grupo que incluye a su esposo Lord Darnley. El intento de golpe que sigue fracasa cuando Darnley lo piensa mejor y ayuda a Mary a escapar a Dunbar.

18 de marzo de 1566: Mary Queen of Scots regresa a Edimburgo con un ejército proporcionado por el conde de Bothwell y los responsables del asesinato de su secretario privado David Rizzio, huyen, muchos de los cuales son exiliados posteriormente.

19 de junio de 1566: Mary da a luz a un hijo, Charles James, en el Castillo de Edimburgo.

7 de diciembre de 1566: Mary Queen of Scots abandona el castillo de Craigmillar después de que un grupo de sus consejeros acuerda el Craigmillar Bond, un acuerdo para la eliminación de Lord Darnley, quien ahora todos, incluida Mary, saben que no es un marido adecuado. Los involucrados incluyen a los Condes de Argyll, Huntly y Bothwell, Sir James Balfour y William Maitland de Lethington.

17 de diciembre de 1566: el futuro James VI / I es bautizado en el castillo de Stirling. Lord Darnley se niega a asistir.

10 de febrero de 1567: Lord Darnley, ahora enfermo de sífilis, es asesinado mientras se aloja en la casa del preboste en las afueras de Edimburgo. El sótano del edificio se ha llenado de pólvora, pero parece que Darnley pudo haber sido estrangulado mientras intentaba escapar de la explosión. Crecen las sospechas públicas de que el conde de Bothwell, y posiblemente la propia María Reina de Escocia, están involucrados en el asesinato.

12 de abril de 1567: el conde de Bothwell es juzgado por el asesinato de Darnley y declarado no culpable. Pocos escoceses creen que el juicio sea justo.

19 de abril de 1567: James Hepburn, cuarto conde de Bothwell, aunque ya está casado, propone matrimonio a María, Reina de Escocia, con el apoyo de muchos nobles influyentes de toda Escocia. Mary lo rechaza.

21 de abril de 1567: James Hepburn, cuarto conde de Bothwell, secuestra a Mary Queen of Scots en las afueras de Edimburgo y la lleva al castillo de Dunbar, donde, asumiendo que Mary es una participante involuntaria, la viola. Acuerdan casarse.

James Hepburn, cuarto conde de Bothwell se divorcia de su esposa, Jean Gordon, para despejar el camino para su boda planeada con Mary, reina de Escocia.

15 de mayo de 1567: María, reina de Escocia, se casa con el conde de Bothwell en una boda protestante en el Palacio de Holyroodhouse en Edimburgo. Luego huyen de la disensión popular generalizada al castillo de Dunbar.

15 de junio de 1567: los nobles escoceses que intentan recuperar a María Reina de Escocia de manos de James Hepburn, cuarto conde de Bothwell, se encuentran con la pareja y mil partidarios en Carberry Hill, al este de Edimburgo. Después de un largo día de enfrentamiento, Mary acepta las demandas de los nobles y envía a Bothwell lejos. Nunca se volverán a encontrar. Mary es llevada a prisión en el castillo de Lochleven en una isla en Loch Leven, cerca de Kinross.

24 de julio de 1567: los lores Ruthven y Lindsay visitan a Mary Queen of Scots e insisten en que abdica de inmediato o la matan. Ella abdica.

29 de julio de 1567: Charles James, de un año, es coronado como el Rey Jacobo VI de Escocia en una ceremonia protestante en la Iglesia del Santo Rude, cerca del Castillo de Stirling. John Knox predica un sermón. Han pasado exactamente dos años desde que Mary se casó con Darnley.

2 de mayo de 1568: Mary Queen of Scots escapa del castillo de Lochleven y revoca su abdicación. Ella reúne un ejército y se mueve hacia el castillo de Dumbarton.

13 de mayo de 1568: el ejército de Mary Queen of Scots es derrotado por una fuerza mucho más pequeña bajo el mando del regente, el conde de Moray, en la batalla de Langside, ahora parte de Glasgow.

15 de mayo de 1568: El vuelo de María Reina de Escocia la lleva al castillo de Terregles cerca de Dumfries. Ella rechaza el consejo de sus seguidores de regresar a Francia y, en cambio, elige huir a Inglaterra y buscar la misericordia de su prima, la reina Isabel, que todavía teme que María pueda reclamar la Corona de Inglaterra.

23 de enero de 1570: el regente, el conde de Moray, es asesinado a tiros en Linlithgow por un asaltante que se esconde en la casa del arzobispo católico de St. Andrews.

12 de julio de 1570: el conde de Lennox, padre de Lord Darnley, es nombrado regente con el apoyo de la reina Isabel.

Septiembre de 1571: María, aún cautiva en Inglaterra, está implicada en un complot del duque católico de Norfolk para utilizar tropas españolas para derrocar a Isabel. Esto socava gran parte de su apoyo restante en Escocia.

1572: El conde de Morton se convierte en regente y es el gobernante de Escocia durante los próximos seis años.

24 de noviembre de 1572: Muerte en Edimburgo de John Knox, una de las principales figuras de la Reforma Presbiteriana de la Iglesia en Escocia y un hombre que en otra época habría sido descrito como fundamentalista religioso.

Mayo de 1573: la caída del Castillo de Edimburgo como último bastión de apoyo a Mary en Escocia pone fin a tres años de guerra civil.

9 de junio de 1573: Muerte en prisión en Leith de Sir William Maitland de Lethington, el político que se convirtió en secretario de Estado de María, reina de Escocia.

12 de diciembre de 1574: Nacimiento en el castillo de Skanderborg en Dinamarca de Ana de Dinamarca, que se convirtió en reina consorte del rey Jaime I de Inglaterra y VI de Escocia.

Marzo de 1578: James VI asume el gobierno de Escocia a la edad de 12 años.

14 de abril de 1578: James Hepburn, cuarto conde de Bothwell muere, loco, en la famosa prisión Dragholm de Dinamarca.

14 de septiembre de 1580: Nacimiento cerca de Inverurie de Robert Gordon de Straloch, poeta, matemático, anticuario y geógrafo, recordado principalmente por su cartografía de Escocia.

2 de junio de 1581: El ex regente, James Douglas, cuarto conde de Morton, es ejecutado por su presunta participación en el asesinato de Lord Darnley, el padre de James VI, catorce años antes, tras las acusaciones de Robert Stewart, primer conde de Orkney. .

14 de abril de 1582: La Universidad de Edimburgo se establece mediante un Estatuto Real otorgado por James VI, lo que la convierte en la sexta universidad fundada en las Islas Británicas y la cuarta en Escocia.

Agosto de 1582: James VI, de 16 años, es hecho prisionero por el conde de Gowrie y los & # 34Lords Enterprisers & # 34 en el castillo de Ruthven, ahora el castillo de Huntingtower cerca de Perth. El & # 34Ruthven Raid & # 34 fue diseñado para aumentar el control de los conspiradores sobre el poder controlando al Rey.

28 de septiembre de 1582: Muerte en Edimburgo de George Buchanan, historiador y erudito que fue perseguido por sus opiniones protestantes.

Junio ​​de 1583: James VI engaña a sus captores para que le permitan asistir a una fiesta en el castillo de St Andrews, donde se escapa de ellos y posteriormente los perdona.

Abril de 1584: Los Lords Enterprisers toman el castillo de St Andrews en un esfuerzo por derrocar a James VI, que ahora tiene 18 años. Él reúne un ejército y lo recupera, ejecutando al conde de Gowrie y exiliando a otros conspiradores a Inglaterra.

Mayo de 1584: El parlamento declaró a Jacobo VI jefe tanto de la iglesia - la Kirk - como del estado ante los crecientes esfuerzos de la Kirk para limitar su poder.

11 de agosto de 1586: Mary Queen of Scots es arrestada después de escribir una carta aprobando un complot para matar a la reina Isabel.

15 de octubre de 1586: María, reina de Escocia, es juzgada por traición en el castillo de Fotheringay en Northamptonshire.

8 de febrero de 1587: Mary Queen of Scots es decapitada en Fotheringay. Su hijo, James VI, rompe brevemente las relaciones diplomáticas con Inglaterra.

16 de julio de 1588: muerte de Lady Agnes Keith, que había nacido en la nobleza escocesa y se convirtió brevemente en una de las mujeres más poderosas del país.

20 de agosto de 1589: Jacobo VI se casa con Ana de Dinamarca, hija del rey Federico II de Dinamarca. El matrimonio es por poder y sus esfuerzos posteriores por navegar a Escocia la ven arrastrada de regreso a Noruega, supuestamente como resultado de la brujería.

22 de octubre de 1589: James VI navega a Noruega para recoger a su esposa, Ana de Dinamarca.

1 de mayo de 1590: el rey James VI y Ana de Dinamarca regresan a Leith, y Ana es coronada reina de Escocia ese mismo mes. James comienza una caza de brujas que se cobrará más de mil vidas en los próximos cien años.

4 de febrero de 1593: muerte de Robert Stewart, el despótico primer conde de Orkney y señor de Zetland. Le sucede su hijo, el igualmente desagradable Patrick Stewart, segundo conde de Orkney.

2 de abril de 1593: La creación de Marischal College como segunda universidad en Aberdeen por George Keith, el quinto conde de Marischal.

30 de agosto de 1594: El bautizo tiene lugar en la Capilla Real del Castillo de Stirling del Príncipe Enrique, hijo del Rey Jaime VI de Escocia.

3 de octubre de 1594: La batalla de Glenlivet se libra entre las fuerzas católicas victoriosas de George Gordon, primer marqués de Huntly y las fuerzas protestantes de Archibald Campbell, séptimo conde de Argyll.

13 de abril de 1596: Walter Scott de Buccleuch libera al famoso reiver William Armstrong de Kinmont del castillo de Carlisle.

Julio de 1596: Los esfuerzos de James VI para que se le declare heredero aparente del trono inglés conducen al Tratado de Berwick, una alianza formal con Inglaterra.

1597: El parlamento escocés arrienda la isla de Lewis en las islas occidentales al duque de Lennox y los & # 34Fife Adventurers & # 34. Se les permite explícitamente masacrar, mutilar, disparar y hacer todo lo necesario para "erradicar a los habitantes bárbaros". Así es como los escoceses de las tierras bajas ven a los habitantes de las tierras altas y las islas.

1599: James y Anne comienzan a vivir vidas separadas después de su conversión al catolicismo, aunque tienen siete hijos en total.


Cronología y hechos de la historia de Escocia

Historia concisa de Escocia
55BC Julio César aterriza en Gran Bretaña
80AD El romano Julius Agricola invade & quotAlbion & quot o & quotCaledonia & quot los nombres antiguos de Escocia
84AD Las tribus celtas de Caledonia se unen bajo Calgacus pero son derrotadas por los romanos
121-129 El muro de Adriano es construido por los romanos
397 - St Ninian trae el cristianismo a Escocia
476 El Imperio Romano se derrumba
800-900 vikingos asaltan Escocia
1005 El rey Malcolm II gobierna Escocia y derrota a los vikingos en la batalla de Mortlach
1034-1040 Rey Duncan I
1040-1057 Macbeth mata a Duncan para convertirse en rey de Escocia
1272 William Wallace nacido
1274 Nace Robert the Bruce
1297 Guerra de Independencia de Escocia dirigida por William Wallace
1298 escoceses derrotados por Eduardo I de Inglaterra
1305 William Wallace ejecutado
1306 Robert the Bruce coronado rey
1314 Batalla de Bannockburn cuando Robert the Bruce derrota a los ingleses y obtiene la independencia de Escocia.
1371 Robert II, el primer rey Stewart toma el trono
1513 Batalla de Flodden y James IV muertos en batalla
1559 Inicio de la Reforma en Escocia con el sermón de John Knox en Perth
1561 María, Reina de Escocia, regresa a Escocia desde Francia
1565 María, Reina de Escocia, se casa con Henry, Lord Darnley
1567 Henry Darnley asesinado
1568 María, Reina de Escocia, huye a Inglaterra y es encarcelada por Isabel I. Su hijo pequeño se convierte en Jacobo VI de Escocia.
1587 María, Reina de Escocia, ejecutada en el castillo de Fotheringay
1603 James VI de Escocia se convierte en James I de Inglaterra provocando la Unión de las Coronas
1692 La masacre de Glencoe - Los Campbell asesinan al clan MacDonald
1707 Se aprueba el Acta de Unión y Escocia se une formalmente a Inglaterra para formar Gran Bretaña.
1745 Bonnie Prince Charlie - Prince Charles Edward Stuart - regresa a Escocia para reclamar el trono británico
1746 Batalla de Culloden donde los escoceses jacobitas derrotan y Bonnie Prince Charlie huye a Francia.
La historia de Escocia ahora se combina con la historia británica

La historia de Irlanda - Rory O'Connor fue el último Gran Rey nativo de Irlanda (1166-1175)

La Historia de Gales - 1222-1283 Llywelyn Ap Gruffudd tomó el título de Príncipe de Gales y en 1284 Gales se incorporó al Reino de Inglaterra bajo el Estatuto de Rhuddlan.

La historia de Inglaterra: detalles de los antiguos reyes con eventos clave y cronología

Realeza inglesa - detalles de los reyes y reinas de Inglaterra / Gran Bretaña


Cronología de Jacobo I de Escocia - Historia

Ha habido un conflicto en la formación de la masonería en Escocia durante muchos años. Espero aclarar algunos mitos y presentar una historia sencilla y sensata a mis lectores. Una persona debe entender primero qué es la masonería antes de poder declarar la actividad masónica en áreas de la historia. Los masones son un grupo de personas muy talentosas y educadas. Creen en las artes y las ciencias además de en su Dios.

La historia ha mostrado a personas inteligentes etiquetadas como herejes, magos, participantes ocultistas, contra la Iglesia y contra sus propios países. Básicamente, las personas de conocimiento no eran mejores que Adán y Eva cuando la serpiente los incitó a comer del árbol del conocimiento. Esta historia ayudará a respaldar la hipótesis Los masones son solo un grupo de personas altamente capacitadas.

La mampostería en realidad comenzó con los fenicios en la época de Salomón, pero por el bien de Escocia, comenzaré con signos de mampostería en Escocia. La gente ha confundido la mampostería de piedra con la masonería. A los efectos de este artículo, solo voy a hablar de pruebas.

La primera evidencia que he podido localizar es la Abadía de Kilwinning cerca de Glasgow. El trabajo original en la abadía fue realizado hacia 1020 por albañiles extranjeros. Dejaron su huella en la primera piedra (La historia de la masonería y la Gran Logia de Escocia, William Alexander Laurie, Universidad de California, recopilación de H. Morse Stephens). Este manuscrito muy antiguo afirma que los albañiles llegaron a Escocia a principios del siglo XI. Construyeron en Kilwinning y en York.

La Gran Maestra de las masonas declaró en 1724 `` Los reyes de Escocia han sido de vez en cuando Grandes Maestros sin interrupción desde los días de Fergus ''.

Robert L D Cooper también afirma en la página 39 de ¿El engaño de Rosslyn? historia específica que comienza con Fergus II en 403 d.C. de Anderson.

Mostré en mi historia de apertura, el Rey Malcolm III Canmore fue el primer Gran Maestre de Escocia. Ahora voy a compartir con ustedes algunas de las pruebas que encontré el 6 de agosto de 1849, la Logia de Glasgow, St. John, que afirman tener una Carta de Malcolm Canmore, Rey de Escocia.

La enciclopedia de la masonería parte 3 afirma en la página 1244, El rey Malcolm III entregó un estatuto a `` nuestros amados y fieles amigos, los masones operativos en la ciudad de Glasgow '' el 5 de octubre de 1057.


Malcolm III

Los otros 19 Grandes Maestros de Escocia copiados de mi primera historia son:

1. Malcom III 1031 - 1093
2. Alejandro I 1078 - 1124 Patrón
3. David I 1084 - 1153
4. Guillermo el León 1143 - 1214
5. ¿Henry Wardlaw? - 1440
6. Santiago I 1394 - 1437
7. William Sinclair 1404 - 1484
8. ¿William Turnbull? - 1454
9. ¿Sir Robert Cockeran? - 1482
10. ¿Alexander Lord Forbes? - 1491
11. William Elphinston 1431 - 1514
12. Gavin Dunbar 1455 - 1532
13. Gavin Douglas 1474 - 1522
14. ¿George Creighton?
15. Patrick, ¿Conde de Lindsay? - 1526
16. Sir David Lindsay 1551 - 1610
17. Andrew Stewart, LO 1548 - 1593
18. ¿Sir James Sandilands? - 1579
19. Claud Hamilton LP 1543 - 1622
20. James VI y I 1566 - 1625

LO = Lord Ochiltree LP = Lord Paisley (Páginas 39 y 40)

Hay algunos nombres muy famosos enumerados en la tabla anterior. No los mencionaré en este momento porque quiero hablar sobre los Grandes Maestros menos conocidos en la tabla anterior.

Henry Wardlaw, obispo de Andrews fue Gran Maestre de Escocia hasta que James VI, I, fue rescatado de los ingleses. Wardlaw también fue fundador de la Universidad. Lea http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nation/wardlaw.htm.

Gavin Dunbar (c1490-1547) fue arzobispo de Glasgow y canciller de la Universidad, 1524-1547.

Dunbar nació en Wigtownshire y estudió derecho canónico y civil en Glasgow y París. Fue nombrado tutor del infante James V en 1517 y fue por consejo de Dunbar que James fundó la Corte Suprema de Escocia, la Corte de Sesión, en 1532. Ocupó varios altos cargos en la Iglesia antes de convertirse en arzobispo de Glasgow en 1524. Él es Se cree que murió en el Palacio del Obispo en la parte superior de High Street. http://www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/biography/?id=WH0095&type=P

Gavin Douglas era el obispo de Dunkeld y famoso por ser un teólogo avanzado de su época.

George Creighton es desconocido en la actualidad, pero localizaré otras historias de Escocia y perseguiré a este caballero.

Patrick, el conde de Lindsay tiene muy poca información, pero enumeraré lo que he encontrado.

Patrick Lindsay, cuarto Lord Lindsay of the Byres era el hijo de John Lindsay, 1st Lord Lindsay of the Byres y Agnes Stewart. Murió en 1526.
Patrick Lindsay, cuarto Lord Lindsay of the Byres ganó el título de Cuarto Lord Lindsay de los Byres [S., 1445].

Hijos de Patrick Lindsay, cuarto Lord Lindsay of the Byres e Isabella of Feotham

Hay muchos caballeros en esta línea. Hasta ahora no he encontrado evidencia de títulos de Caballeros Templarios en mi investigación.

Aquí hay información que encontré sobre Sir James Sandilands en Internet:

Con la llegada de la Reforma, los Sandilands de Calder pronto se convertirían en Señores de Torphichen. En ese momento, Sir James Sandilands (segundo hijo del séptimo barón feudal de Calder), era un Caballero de San Juan y prior de Torphichen Preceptory (el centro de la Orden de San Juan en Escocia). Después de que la Corona inglesa suprimiera la Orden en Inglaterra en 1540 (e Irlanda en 1547), la única preceptoría que quedó perteneciente a los Caballeros de San Juan fue Torphichen. Como resultado, durante casi veinticinco años (de 1540 a 1564) Torphichen Preceptory bajo Sir James Sandilands representó a los Caballeros de San Juan en Gran Bretaña.

Sin embargo, en vista de esta posición aislada, Sir James en 1564 finalmente sucumbió a la Reforma y entregó la Preceptoría Torphichen y las tierras circundantes de los Caballeros de San Juan a la Corona de Escocia (Reina María Estuardo), recuperándola (para continuar su administración). junto con el título de Señor Torphichen. (Siendo Señor en lugar de Preceptor, su designación anterior otorgada por la Orden de San Juan). Murió en 1579 y, al no tener un heredero varón, fue sucedido por James (segundo lord Torphichen y décimo barón feudal de Calder), nieto de su hermano mayor John (octavo barón feudal). Como resultado, los descendientes de la familia Sandilands of Calder (Lords Torphichen) y su patrimonio constituyen el vínculo histórico más directo con la Orden de San Juan en las Islas Británicas. [Árbitro. "Los Caballeros de Malta" por los editores de HJA Sire: Yale University Press, 1994.]

El patrón de personas inteligentes que están en altos rangos de la masonería es evidente con todos los hombres enumerados como los Grandes Maestros originales de la Logia de Escocia. La masonería tuvo un crecimiento lento durante esta era, pero ganó impulso en años posteriores. La documentación que he investigado es lo suficientemente buena como para demostrarle a un extraño que los masones han existido durante mucho tiempo.

Hay otro patrón que he descubierto en mi investigación de los Grandes Masones originales, todos ellos están estrechamente relacionados con la dinastía Stuart. Están vinculados por sangre o matrimonio. Dejaré este tidbit abierto a los muchos investigadores que pueden tener otra teoría distinta a la mía en cuanto a los vínculos entre la masonería original y las líneas de Bruce y Stuart.


Cronología de Jacobo I de Escocia - Historia

El rey Carlos I se convirtió en la primera persona en suceder a la corona de Inglaterra y Escocia. Su padre James VI, el rey de Escocia desde 1567 y más tarde James I, rey de Inglaterra desde 1603. James fue enterrado en la Abadía de Westminster.

Reconstrucciones virtuales 3D

Transpórtate a mil años atrás y explora los edificios históricos tal como pudieron haber aparecido en el pasado. Construidas con la popular herramienta de desarrollo de juegos Unity 3D, estas reconstrucciones se ejecutarán en la mayoría de los navegadores web populares en su computadora de escritorio o portátil.

Descubre las vidas de cientos de reyes, reinas, señores, damas, barones, condes, arzobispos y rebeldes que hicieron del pueblo medieval un período histórico emocionante para vivir.

Selección de referencias utilizadas:

    1. Michael Lynch, Escocia una nueva historia, 2004, ISBN: 0-7126-9893-0 2. C H Hunter Blair y H L Honeyman, Libro guía oficial del castillo de Warkworth, 1963

Explora los cuatro pisos de la Torre Blanca en la Torre de Londres usando el motor de juego Unity 3D.

Edificios virtuales

Transpórtate a mil años atrás y explora edificios históricos a medida que mayo han aparecido en el pasado.

Parece haber algunas conexiones extrañas entre el antiguo castillo de Wardour del siglo XIV y el antiguo círculo de piedra Stonehenge.

El antiguo castillo de Wardour parece estar alineado con sitios antiguos en el paisaje de Stonehenge.

Stonehenge está alineado con el solsticio de verano. Old Wardour tiene una alineación muy similar.

¿Podrían los constructores de Old Wardour utilizar las medidas de Stonehenge para diseñar la torre geométrica?


Cronología de Jacobo I de Escocia - Historia

El rey Carlos I se convirtió en la primera persona en suceder a la corona de Inglaterra y Escocia. Su padre, James VI, rey de Escocia desde 1567 y más tarde, James I, rey de Inglaterra desde 1603. James fue enterrado en la Abadía de Westminster.

Reconstrucciones virtuales 3D

Transpórtate a mil años atrás y explora los edificios históricos tal como pudieron haber aparecido en el pasado. Construidas con la popular herramienta de desarrollo de juegos Unity 3D, estas reconstrucciones se ejecutarán en la mayoría de los navegadores web populares en su computadora de escritorio o portátil.

Descubre las vidas de cientos de reyes, reinas, señores, damas, barones, condes, arzobispos y rebeldes que hicieron del pueblo medieval un período histórico emocionante para vivir.

Selección de referencias utilizadas:

    1. Michael Lynch, Escocia una nueva historia, 2004, ISBN: 0-7126-9893-0 2. C H Hunter Blair y H L Honeyman, Libro guía oficial del castillo de Warkworth, 1963

Explora los cuatro pisos de la Torre Blanca en la Torre de Londres usando el motor de juego Unity 3D.

Edificios virtuales

Transpórtate a mil años atrás y explora edificios históricos a medida que mayo han aparecido en el pasado.

Parece haber algunas conexiones extrañas entre el antiguo castillo de Wardour del siglo XIV y el antiguo círculo de piedra Stonehenge.

El antiguo castillo de Wardour parece estar alineado con sitios antiguos en el paisaje de Stonehenge.

Stonehenge está alineado con el solsticio de verano. Old Wardour tiene una alineación muy similar.

¿Podrían los constructores de Old Wardour utilizar las medidas de Stonehenge para diseñar la torre geométrica?


Inglaterra y Escocia forman la Unión como & apos Gran Bretaña & apos

Los Artículos de Unión presentados por los Comisionados a la Reina Ana, creando el Reino de Gran Bretaña.

The Print Collector / Getty Images

Cuando la reina Isabel I murió en 1603, la siguiente persona en la línea de sucesión al trono fue su primo, el rey James VI de Escocia. Ahora, ganó un segundo nombre: el Rey Jaime I de Inglaterra.

Aunque Escocia e Inglaterra compartían el mismo rey, seguían siendo dos reinos políticamente separados, cada uno con su propio parlamento. Durante el siglo siguiente, hubo varios intentos fallidos de fusionarlos en una sola nación. Estos intentos terminaron en 1707, cuando Inglaterra y Escocia se unieron como & # x201CGran Bretaña & # x201D bajo la reina Ana (la reina retratada en El favorito).

Hubo varias razones para esta unión, dice Christopher A. Whatley, profesor de historia escocesa en la Universidad de Dundee y autor de Los escoceses y la Unión: antes y ahora. Una fue el hecho de que Escocia estaba endeudada después de intentar establecer un imperio colonial en las Américas de la misma manera que lo habían hecho Inglaterra, Portugal y España.

& # x201C Los escoceses reconocieron que el Realpolitik, si se quiere, la situación era que si querían establecer mercados en el exterior, contactos en el exterior, necesitaban el apoyo de una potencia marítima más fuerte, que era Inglaterra, & # x201D, dice.

Muchos escoceses también vieron la unión como una forma de evitar que los católicos Estuardo restablecieran una monarquía absoluta y aseguraran el futuro de Escocia bajo una monarquía constitucional protestante. Para Inglaterra, existía la preocupación de que si no se unía a Escocia, el país podría ponerse del lado de Inglaterra con Francia en la Guerra de Sucesión española. Entonces, en 1707, Inglaterra acordó darle dinero a Escocia para pagar sus deudas, y los parlamentos de ambos países aprobaron las Actas de Unión para convertirse en una sola nación.


Clanes, colectivos y la rebelión jacobita: las Tierras Altas antes de las Autorizaciones

A principios del siglo XVIII, los habitantes de las Tierras Bajas de Escocia, que se encuentran al sureste de una línea trazada desde Dumbarton, cerca de la cabecera del Firth of Clyde en la costa occidental, hasta Stonehaven, estaban principalmente urbanizados. También estaban más alineados con Inglaterra en términos de cultura, idioma y política que con sus compañeros escoceses de las Highlands. La gente de las Highlands, que abarca la mitad norte de Escocia y, según muchas categorizaciones, las islas occidentales de las Hébridas Interiores y Exteriores y Arran y Bute, eran en su mayoría rurales y trataban de sobrevivir en una tierra en gran parte infértil. Su cultura e idioma eran predominantemente gaélico escocés.

Los montañeses todavía seguían el sistema de clanes, que había estado en vigor durante cientos de años. El clan estaba gobernado por una familia, de la que procedía su jefe. Los parientes y otros que formaban parte del clan vivían juntos en municipios agrícolas que funcionaban como colectivos o granjas de tenencia conjunta. La tierra estaba controlada por el jefe, pero alquilada a él por “terratenientes” que la alquilaban a agricultores arrendatarios, quienes a su vez empleaban cottars para ayudar a cultivarla. Teñido de influencias feudales, el clan también era en gran medida un sistema marcial basado en la obligación de sus combatientes de proporcionar el servicio militar al jefe al que debían lealtad personal. Esos combatientes dependían en parte del botín obtenido al asaltar clanes vecinos para mantener su nivel de vida.

En 1745, Charles Edward, el joven pretendiente (llamado "Bonnie Prince Charlie"), encabezó la quinta rebelión jacobita que la casa de Stuart había emprendido en un intento por reclamar el trono británico. (El abuelo de Carlos, Jaime II, había sido depuesto como rey en la Revolución Gloriosa de 1688-1689.) Carlos ganó el apoyo de los montañeses escoceses para luchar contra los ingleses y muchos habitantes de las tierras bajas escocesas por la corona británica. Después de cierto éxito inicial, Charles y sus tropas fueron finalmente derrotados en la Batalla de Culloden (16 de abril de 1746), durante la cual murieron miles de montañeses. En las siguientes semanas y meses, unos 1.000 montañeses fueron cazados y asesinados. En el proceso, clanes enteros de las Tierras Altas fueron destruidos o se vieron obligados a huir.

Incluso antes de la catástrofe en Culloden, el sistema de clanes había comenzado a deteriorarse lentamente durante el reinado de James I, quien desconfiaba tanto de los montañeses que ordenó a los jefes que se alejaran de sus clanes para asistir a visitas prolongadas a la corte para evitar que conspiraran contra él. Sin embargo, ese deterioro se aceleró en los años posteriores a la Batalla de Culloden, cuando el gobierno británico impuso leyes restrictivas que comprometían el poder de los jefes de los clanes y la cultura gaélica que lo sustentaba, incluida la prohibición de los tartanes de clan (diseños textiles a cuadros) y música de gaita. El gobierno también abrió el camino para que los forasteros adquirieran gran parte de la tierra en las Tierras Altas. Los nuevos terratenientes se propusieron replicar los modelos de agricultura capitalista empleados en las Tierras Bajas,


Le animamos a compartir su investigación en nuestra línea de tiempo.

Early Frasers de Shimi Lovat

El registro escrito más antiguo de Frasers en Escocia es de 1160, cuando un Simon Fraser tenía tierras en East Lothian en Keith. En ese año, hizo el regalo de una iglesia a los monjes tironenses en la Abadía de Kelso. Los.

Sir Simon Fraser el Patriota y las Guerras de Independencia de Escocia

Sir Simon Fraser de Neidpath, puede ser considerado el padre fundador de los Lovat Fraser. Nacido en 1257 en el castillo de Neidpath cerca de Peebles, sufrió una muerte espantosa en Londres en 1306. Había sido capturado luchando en el.

El nacimiento del clan Fraser de Lovat en las Tierras Altas y las peleas de clanes

From the early 1300s, then, Frasers established themselves in what has ever since been recognised as the Lovat Fraser homeland – Beauly and the Aird. The first document linking a Fraser with these lands of Lovat and the Aird is.

Union of Crowns & Civil Wars throughout Britain

When Elizabeth I of England died in 1603, her closest male heir was King James VI of Scotland. James united the thrones of Scotland, England and Wales, and Ireland, to create Great Britain. He became King James VI of Scotland.

Lovat of the 45, the Old Fox

Like an old eagle, Lovat smiles enigmatically from under hooded eyes – complete with 18th century frock coat, wig, breeches, wrinkly stockings, and shoes with silver buckles. This is Lovat as the great cartoonist Hogarth saw him, in the Tower of London.

The Frasers in the New World

A series of weak chiefs, combined with premature chiefly deaths that left child heirs to the chieftainship. These boy chiefs came under the influence of their mother’s people. It was normal for clans to form marital alliances. The daughters of.

The Lovat Scouts

In 1899, Simon 16th Lord Lovat raised the Lovat Scouts as a volunteer unit to fight in the Boer War. The officers were raised from the local Highland gentry and most of the men were stalkers, ghillies, shepherds and crofters.

WW2 and the Commandos

Who were the Commandos? The Commandos were raised in 1940 during the period of crisis that followed Dunkirk and were subsequently disbanded in 1946. All commandos were the best of the best, hand picked from every regiment of the armed.

Shimi, 17th Lord Lovat

Brigadier Simon Fraser, 17th Lord Lovat, DSO, MC, TD, JP, DL was the 24th Chief of the Clan Fraser of Lovat and a prominent British Commando during the Second World War. His friends called him Shimi Lovat, an anglicised version.

The Lovat Survivors

In the autumn of 1915, at the height of the Great War, Lochiel (Chief of Clan Cameron and a cousin of the Moniack Frasers) mournfully predicted that “another old Inverness-shire family was becoming extinct”. Of the 15th Lord Lovat’s three.

The Modern 78th Fraser Highlanders

In 1964, with Expo 67 being planned, the Montreal Military & Maritime Museum decided to re-raise this famous Regiment to take part in the colour and festivities of the World's Fair. Colonel J. Ralph Harper undertook the research and Mr.

Outlander & The New Clan Brand

Outlander author Diana Gabaldon explains why she chose a Fraser for her hero

We are extremely grateful to Diana for taking the time to explain why she chose Clan Fraser for her hero Jamie: WHY FRASER? I’m often asked (and not only by people named Fraser) why, when I decided to write.

The Aird of Lovat in June 1746

It feels like nothing changes here. though 273 Years ago, tragedy tore, howled, screamed, burned and slashed its way through this place. Hoy no. The only sound that screamed in my hearing today was a sika deer half way between a.

18th Lord Lovat,
25th MACSHIMIDH

-->

The e-Fiery Cross

The Fiery Cross is the ancient Highland call for the clan to gather from the Chief, summoned by runners carrying two burning sticks tied with a strip of linen and dipped in blood.

The clan also welcome those who would be Bowl O'Meal Frasers. Simon 11th Lord Lovat, the Old Fox, was known to offer a large bag of grain/meal to those native to the Fraser country when they took the name of Fraser. The terms were clear, that they adopt the concerns of the Clan, offering loyalty and sword to the chief. They became known as Boll O' Meal Fraser's"

Furthermore we welcome those who would be a Friend of the clan, to join in celebration of our rich 800 year Fraser history, and ancient Gaelic traditions.


Wilsontown's history timeline

1644: A stone at the current Cleugh house is dated 1644, older maps show a house at Cleugh in the 16th century.

1655: James Wilson buys the lands of Hinschelwood and Cleugh from William Inglis of Eastsheil.

The 18th century

1708 – 1712: Abraham Darby uses coke in a blast furnace for the first time at Coaldbrookdale, Shropshire. Thomas Newcomen invents the atmospheric / fire engine.

1759: William Wilson Snr establishes himself successfully in business in London he becomes a merchant. The Carron Ironworks is established.

1770: William Dixon Snr is 17yrs old and comes to the West of Scotland from Northumberland to seek his fortune he settles at Govan Coalworks.

1771: John Wilson Snr returns from Sweden after selling his business in Gothenburg. He sets up a business in London with his younger brother William.

1772: William Wilson Jnr born to John Wilson Snr.

1779: Robert Wilson asks his brothers for a loan to purchase neighbouring land to the Cleugh estate. Construction of Wilsontown Ironworks begins. John Mackenzie is the Overseer as the Ironworks are being built. A large house is built and coal mining enterprises are not very successful.

1781: The first iron is produced at Wilsontown Ironworks.

1782: John Mackenzie is dismissed and the works then remain idle.

1783: Henry Cort patents the process of rolling iron.

1784: William Wilson Snr returns to Wilsontown and moves into Wilsontown House after touring round the UK getting experience in ironmaking. He dissolves the agreement with his brother Robert. John Wilson Snr stays in charge of their London business. Wilsontown Ironworks starts up again in May with Ironmasters from Coalbrookdale making pig iron for a short while. Henry Cort visits Scotland in May and does demonstrations of his new puddling process at Edinburgh - his Scottish Patent for rolling and puddling is sealed on 6th Feb.

1785: The blast furnace at Wilsontown Ironworks is blown out in February and not re-lit until May. John Wilson Snr sends Alexander Gunn to Wilsontown to be his representative. William Wilson Snr is concerned that the Ironworks will never make enough money to cover the costs incurred. John Wilson Snr and William Wilson Snr buy out their brother Robert.

1786: Clyde Ironworks is founded by John Mackenzie (who worked at Wilsontown) and Thomas Edington. Alexander Gunn is sent to Coalbrookdale to be instructed in the art of bar iron manufacture.

1787: Omoa / Cleland Ironworks and Muirkirk Ironworks are founded. A second blast furnace is built at Wilsontown and another blowing engine (see image, right) of greater power is set going. Produce includes pig iron, ballast for ships and shot (4-18 pounders inclusive).

William Wilson Snr and Alexander Gunn do not see eye to eye on the management of the Ironworks, but John Wilson Snr supports Gunn when William protests to him. It is likely that blooms from Wilsontown are rolled at Rotherhithe, London.

1788: There are 86 blast furnaces in Britain, 60 are using coke as fuel and 26 are still using charcoal.

1789: A steam engine is erected at Wilsontown to draw off the water from the minerals. This opens up a large mineral field so much more coal can be mined. John Rennie of Boulton and Watt produces plans for the new Forge at Wilsontown for William Wilson Snr.

1790: The workmen at Wilsontown are paid on piece-rate, monthly. Boulton and Watt produce a plan of the engine house and working gear for the new forge for Messrs John and William Wilson Snr. An engine (originally built in 1785) at Rotherhithe London is stopped, it is later bought by the Wilsons for their new forge.

1791: The Company name is John and William Wilson & Son, Swedish Iron Merchants. An extensive forge for the manufacture of blooms is erected at Wilsontown. Gardner, Manson and Co agree to take a large quantity of blooms from Wilsontown but there is a quarrel with Alexander Gunn and the contract is lost. John Wilson Snr arrives at Wilsontown from London and excludes William Wilson Snr from the firm. James Murdoch, an engine erector for Boulton and Watt, has been at Wilsontown for 15 months putting up the new engine in the forge.

Thomas Paine publishes the ’Rights of Man’ as a guide to the ideas of the Enlightenment, he greatly influences the French Revolution.

1792: The dispute between John and William Wilson Snr gets worse and John Snr makes his son John Jnr his legal representative in Scotland. William Wilson Snr is still very concerned about the state of the business and his lack of control. It is possible that William Murdoch (brother of James Murdoch) lights his house with gas coal for the first time now.

1793: The balance sheets show that Wilsontown Ironworks is in debt to its London business . William Wilson Snr is in favour of reducing iron production and diversifying by producing household coal. Alexander Gunn and John Wilson Snr disagree and prevent this idea being developed. William Wilson Snr estimates his loss at £20,000 and disputes follow regarding possession and examining the Company books.

The Sherrif of Lanarkshire appoints an interim manager for Wilsontown, Richard Steel of Lanark. Alexander Gunn is dismissed, William Wilson Snr alleges he is a disciple of Thomas Paine and has circulated copies of his work to the employees. John Wilson Snr dissolves the London co-partnery and stops William Wilson Snr’s credit. William Wilson Snr concludes that the economic failure at Wilsontown is due to mismanagment and not inherent economic weakness, still believing the operation can be made profitable

1794: There is a local community totalling 400 at Wilsontown. This includes a considerable number of people who are not from the area but have come here to work. Wilsontown Ironworks is currently not working, due to the family dispute. In the Ironworks there are currently 2 blast furnaces to produce pig iron, and 10 forges to convert the pigs into blooms before they are then beaten into bars. The Ironworks can also produce castings. There are said to be several Helve hammers.

It is currently 27 miles to get to the port at Leith but the line of a new road has been laid out that will reduce this to 21 miles. Carriage for produce going to Bo’ness and Leith is 8 shillings per ton in Summer and 10s per ton in Winter.

1795: Glenbuck Ironworks and Calder Ironworks (William Dixon is a partner) are founded. Richard Steel of Lanark is still in charge at Wilsontown

1796: John Condie is born in Glasgow.

1797: John Wilson Snr buys out William Wilson Snr . Wilsontown Ironworks are put up for sale and bought by John Wilson Snr, Merchant of Token-House Yard, London. John Wilson and Son is launched the partners are John Wilson Snr and two of his four sons, William Jnr and James. Mr James Meason, a clerk at Wilsontown Ironworks, is employed to examine the state of the minerals: “from what he had explored 40,000 tons of iron might be made annually for the space of 90 years, that the supply of ironstone is inexhaustible”

1798: The Forge at Wilsontown is put to work, with the addition of 2 hammers after having been stopped during the dispute, and the two blast furnaces are brought into full operation again.

The 19th century

1801: William Wilson Jnr has failed in his St Petersburg trade. William Wilson Jnr mortgages Wilsontown house to one of his partners in a Russian venture when he could not pay £1,000, his full share of the loss incurred by Brown, Porter, Wilson and Co.

1802: Shotts Ironworks is founded. A Swedish Ironmaster visits several Scottish Ironworks including Wilsontown and writes a report. John Wilson Snr has pulled down part of the Ironworks and is replacing this with Puddling Furnaces and an extensive Rolling Mill. It is expected to produce 1,500 tons annually of bar iron once this building work is completed. The present manager of Wilsontown Ironworks is William Wilson Jnr who has planted 100,000 Pine, Spruce and Larch on a drained peat bog nearby.

1803: Clyde Ironworks is the second biggest Ironworks in Scotland at this time.

1804: The Wilsons acquire the coal rights at Climpy from George Crawford and they build a village for the workers there. Horse tramways are now laid to get raw materials to the blast furnaces at Wilsontown. The Rolling Mill at Wilsontown is put into operation this year. Wilsontown Ironworks is producing pig iron, cast iron goods, malleable bars, rods and hoops, boiler and other plates, and is said to be the only Ironworks in Scotland equipped for this trade. Robert Bauchop completes his ‘Plan of the Estate of Wilsontown’.

The Napoleonic War begins.

1806: A powerful Boulton and Watt blowing engine is erected and the weekly produce of the furnaces at Wilsontown increases from 20 to 40 ton. A manager’s house with 8 rooms is built around this time (believed to be Wester Heathland farmhouse). The coal and iron-stone mines, the furnaces, the forges, the rolling-mill, the shops of smiths, carpenters, engineers and mill-wrights are crowded with workmen.

1807: In the census of this year there are 2000 people dependant on Wilsontown Ironworks. The total monthly payment to workers is not less than £3,000. The Ironworks has to issue change tickets due to a shortage of small coins - £100 of silver and copper coins are needed each month the change tickets can be exchanged at the Company shop . Mr George Brown, Landsurveyer, conducts a survey and valuation to prepare the way for borrowing upon heritable security. There is now £63,500 borrowed on the security of the lands and fixed assets at the Ironworks. Both the Scottish and the London firm become insolvent. There is a severe depression in the iron trade.

Artist's impression of the interior of a worker's house at Wilsontown1808: By this date many buildings have been erected at Wilsontown, including 450 houses, a bakery and company shop. There is no further credit to be had from the banks, so a meeting is called with friends, merchants, local businessmen, bankers and mine officials in London. As a result, 54 well-wishers raise a short term loan for Wilsontown Ironworks.

The Scottish Company is now taken over by a Trust Deed. The Trustees are: John Dickson of Coulter, Advocate James Pillans, Ironmerchant of Leith John Mowbray of Edinburgh, Writer to the Signet George Crawford of Climpy Thomas Edington of Pheonix Ironworks near Glasgow and Martin Dalrymple at Omoa Ironworks.

There is hope that the Iron trade may pick up again. William Wilson Jnr and James Wilson continue to manage the Ironworks. The Climpy coal field is surveyed by ‘a professional man of great skill and integrity’ who reports that the quantity of workable coal exceeds 2,724,000 tons, with only 100,000 wrought out. A 40-year lease is established on all the coal and ironstone in the lands of Guildhouse and part of Hendshillwood - equivalent to 580 english acres.

George Crawford Esq of Climpy writes a letter dated 6th August 1808 where he explains that he had at least 150 families employed on his estate. They were miners, lime-workers, and labourers. Because the parish church was so far away in Carnwath he built a place of worship for these families at his own expense. Joseph Purdie from Peebleshire was ordained as the Minister in April 1810.

William Dixon sends a report on the Wilsons in a letter to David Mushet. Mr Edington is the Wilson’s agent in Glasgow and has compiled a report on Wilsontown Ironworks. Martin Darlrymple at the Omoa ironworks has given Mr Edington all his iron to sell to try to keep down the price of iron. John Wilson Snr is mortally ill in October and dies on Christmas day.

Humphrey Davey demonstrates his new electric arc lamp.

1809: Land and equipment that is not essential for the operation of Wilsontown Ironworks is offered up for sale at the Royal Exchange Coffee House in Edinburgh. Various people buy parcels of land including John Wilson of Guildhouse and Henry Wilson, late of Calcutta. New boilers are installed at the blowing engines despite the Company’s perilous position.

1810: Lodge St John Wilsontown Ironworks is founded. John Wilson and Sons is now bringing up a day level in the Wilsontown Colliery, which has already been driven 500 fathoms. This is an extension of the famous Holmesyke Level. The Ironstone is so rich that little more than 3 tons yields a ton of iron.

For the last 6 months the Ironworks has almost entirely been employed in making soft pig iron for foundry use due to an increase in price for pig iron and a drop for bar iron. There are few competitors in Scotland in the making of engines - Wilsontown is fitted out for this. The 2 blast furnaces (see image, right) produce about 80 to 90 tonnes of iron a week, mainly of best no. 1 iron.

There are houses for 400 – 500 workmen and their families. The freight from London to Leith is from 10 – 12s per ton and insurance less than 1%.

Joseph Purdie of Peebleshire is ordained as the Minister of Climpy Church in April. The week after this, at least 100 families are discharged after the collapse of the Ironworks business. The congregation of the Church now fell to only 20 or 30 people and stayed this way until the Minister gave up in 1813.

1811: Wilsontown Ironworks is advertised for sale in the Morning Chronicle, London, but no-one purchases it. An Inventory of tools values them at £7,050. George Crawford, the owner of Climpy, goes bankrupt this year - the Wilsons had advanced money to him but they never recovered it. Thomas Bauchop, surveyor, produces a map of Wilsontown Sheepwalk.

1812: There is a general commercial crisis in the Scottish Iron trade. Many local gentry become bankrupt including John Wilson Jnr of Guildhouse and Henry Wilson of Cleugh House. Stock accumulates at Wilsontown and in the warehouses at Leith, Glasgow and London. By June there is 2,200 tons of unsold iron. By July the outstanding debts total more than £100,000, with over £1,600 in wage arrears. There is an attempt to switch production from bar iron to pig iron but this encounters technical difficulties .

The Scottish Creditors of Wilsontown Ironworks apply for sequestration (bankrupcy), which is granted on 15 June. A temporary factor is appointed to protect the interests of the Creditors. The Trustees decide to carry on the works with one furnace in blast, the labour force is put to work casting axles, collecting scrap iron, breaking up plant and taking inventories. 521 men are employed at the Ironworks.

The last batch of iron is made in December and the furnace blown out, the workmen are dismissed and paid off apart from a skeleton staff. The workingmen’s union and savings bank, the Wilsontown Friendly Society, loses its capital. Wilsontown Ironworks is put up for sale for £20,000. William Mowbray buys Wilsontown Sheepwalk . An Illicit home still is discovered. William Wilson Jnr moves with his family to London after this year and sets himself up as a successful merchant in the ‘Russia trade’, importing goods from Moscow and St Petersburg.

1813: The last account of John Wilson and Son is made on November 26th. Mr Thomson, ‘a respectable Engineer’, makes an inventory of implements and utensils essentially necessary for the works. During this time Mr Laurie (Lawrie), Overseer, and James Baird, ‘an efficient workman and watchman’, have been kept employed at the works in order to keep things ticking over.

On 23 February, the Minister of Climpy Church resigns due to a lack of a congregation. Since the Ironworks stopped in 1810 he had only 20 or 30 people attending sermons. He stated that "sermon was however regularly kept up at Wilsontown by other parties".

1815: The Napoleonic War ceases

1819: Alexander Gillespie of Sunnyside buys the lands of Cleugh. Inspired by the French Revolution there is industrial unrest spreading through the country. Weavers from Glasgow talk of revolution and organising themselves for a fight.

1820: John Patterson, Ironmaster, and Robert Stevenson, Civil Engineer, visit Wilsontown Ironworks and make a full report: "no Ironmaster at this day would set down a work from which the carriage to the nearest port is no less than 26 miles". Mr Laurie is still the Manager. Wilsontown is said to ‘have the appearance of a large village now in a state of decay’.

1821: The sequestrated Estate of Wilson and Sons is purchased from James Britstow Fraser, Writer in Edinburgh, Trustee, on 20 March by William Dixon for £6,100.

1822: Alexander Gillespie of Sunnyside buys the lands of Mid and East Forth, part of the Wilsontown Estate.

1823: There are now 237 blast furnaces in Britain.

1827: John Nimmo is the Manager at Wilsontown Ironworks. There is a new toll road, an improvement on the old moor road, to Edinburgh via West Calder, over which pig iron etc. is carted to Edinburgh and Leith. The Road to Glasgow is not so direct and Glasgow has become a valuable outlet for the Ironworks. In the Autumn John Nimmo and William Dixon Jnr map out a new road west from Climpy to the Holytown road via Shotts Ironworks.

1828: James Beaumont Neilson discovers the hot blast process whilst fixing a boiler at Wilsontown. He goes on to patent the ‘improved application of air to produce heat in fires, forges and furnaces – no 5701’ on 3 March. An Act for making and maintaining a turnpike road (this is the B715) from Wilsontown Ironworks to the A71 is dated 23 May. Thomas Nimmo is the Manager at Wilsontown Ironworks .

The Gartsherrie furnace is started by Bairds. A foundry is opened at Shotts Ironworks.

1829: The Hot Blast process is now in use.

1830: Lord Belhaven takes over the lease of a distillery at Wilsontown from Hugh Goold. Captain Alexander Wilson, son of Robert Wilson, is still living at Cleugh Mansion house. William Wilson Jnr is 58 and approached by partner Benjamin Lancaster to go into candle making. They set up Edward Price and Co.

1831: Coal used per ton of pig iron has gone down from 10 tons to 3 tons due to the Hot Blast process. Hot blast is being used at Calder Ironworks by William Dixon, using an open water-cooled tuyere with only limited success.

1832: Thomas Nimmo ceases to be the Manager at Wilsontown Ironworks. His sons later manage the works and Thomas goes on to work coal pits on the Wilsontown and Cleugh lands on his own account. John Condie is taken on at Calder Ironworks by William Dixon Jnr.

1833: John Condie is sent as manager to Wilsontown by William Dixon Jnr.

1834: John Wilson Jnr now owns Westsidewood as well as Guildhouse, near Forth. William Pillans is murdered at the toll bar, Wilsontown, by James Tweedie on 18th April.

1836: John Condie has invented a nozzle at Wilsontown with a spiral of wrought iron tubing cast into it so that a continuous flow of cooling water can be maintained – the 'scots' or 'worm' or 'Condie' tuyere. This revolutionises iron manufacture.

1842: The output of pig iron at Wilsontown Ironworks is 14 tonnes per day. There is a great shut down in Scotland’s industries and Wilsontown Ironworks closes for the final time. John Condie moves to Dalry Ironworks (also owned by William Dixon) .The trustees of the late James Hare grant a feu in favour of William Dixon of Govan Colliery at Wester Handaxwood, sheepwalk of 204 scotch acres in December.

1845: Wilsontown Ironworks is broken up by breakers.

1846: John Condie patents his steam hammer.

1848: The Condie steam hammer is erected for first time at Govan Ironworks.

1849: James Wilson, an earnest and evangelical Christian, sets up a Christian society at Price’s Candle factory.

1850: James ‘Paraffin’ Young patents his process for making paraffin wax from distilled coal.

1851: By now practically all the coal mining at Wilsontown has ceased. Wilsontown is now offered for sale again, and although advertised at an upset price it is not bought.

1853: James Wilson urges Price’s Candle Co shareholders to pay for a school and chapel for factory boys.

1856: The steel making process is introduced by Sir Henry Bessemer.

1858: William Darling, a Glasgow Iron Merchant, buys Cleugh, Mid and East Forth from the trustees of Alexander Gillespie.

1860: On 22 October a railway is opened up past Wilsontown for goods and minerals. It stops at a siding behind Quality Row. After the railway comes, William Dixon resumes mining Wilsontown Main coal for coking, thus bringing industrial activity back to the area. This keeps the Wilsontown pits busy.

1862: The Coltness Iron Company open up the gas coal in Haywood. James Gray of Leavenseat Lime Works and Gavin Paul of Airdrie, a railway contractor, get a lease from William Dixon to work the Wilsontown Cannel Coal. To get to the Cannel Coal they have to clean out the Holmesyke Level from its outlet to the middle of the coalfield at great expense as it had been neglected for some time. Gavin Paul and family move into Wilsontown Mansion house after this year.

1865: The mineral railway line is extended to Wilsontown Station. Thomas Nimmo extends his mining operations to the lands of Haywood and Lawhead and he and his son, also Thomas, take out a lease of the rough coal.

1866: Omoa Ironworks shuts down.

1867: The railway at Wilsontown takes passengers for the first time.

1869: The railway line is extended from Wilsontown to Climpy.

1870: Gavin Paul and family are still living in Wilsontown masion house he is responsible for having the church at Wilsontown built this year There is a boiler explosion at no. 1 pit Climpy, leased by Gray and Paul, killing 2 children.

1871: Wilsontown Inn is now shown as a store on maps.

1873: The trustees of the late Mr William Dixon sell the lands of Cleugh, Greenwalls, Mid and East Forth now called Wilsontown, to William Smith Dixon.

1875: Beehive ovens are erected for the first time at Wilsontown Colliery.

1884: Gray and Paul give up the lease of the gas coal as it is exhausted.

1885: The Paul family leave the area and it is a sad departure. From now on most mining is carried out at Wilsontown by Dixons. It is more extensive than before due to an increase in the use of coking coal in coke ovens and in gas works

1887: The Carnwath Board take over running of the old school at Wilsontown as a works school.

1898: A new colliery at Wilsontown opens up this year (called Wilsontown colliery, there was a colliery with this name run by the Wilsons previously).

The 20th Century

1900: Tennants commences delivering miner’s coal around this year in the Peaweep Row.

1905: At Wilsontown Colliery the old beehive ovens are now replaced with a modern type of by-product plant. This plant is used to carbonise coal into metallurgical coke for the smelting of iron ore and ironstone in the blast furnaces. In addition the coke is used to recover valuable products such as tar, ammonia, and in later years benzol, all of which Wilsontown Main Coal is especially rich in.

1912: The Coltness Iron Company returns to the area and acquires the Climpy Colliery.

1913: Wilsontown sheepwalk has been let to Henry Wilson Esq.

1919: Kingshill no. 1 pit is sunk by the Coltness Iron Company in Allanton.

1921: Muirkirk Ironworks closes.

1922: William Dixon Ltd stops using splint coal and only uses coke fuel, which they get from Wilsontown Colliery and other coke makers.

1926: The old Wilsontown school closes.

1931: Kingshill no. 2 pit (Queenshill) is sunk, owned by Coltness Steel Company Limited.

1936: Quality Row is condemned and closes. The residents are moved to housing in Forth.

1938: Wilsontown coke is still being used for smelting purposes in the blast furnaces in the West of Scotland. Forkens mine has recently been sunk mining Kilsyth coking coal, a seam about 24” thick. A modern type of coal-cutting machine and face and gate road conveying plant has made the seam economic.

Wilsontown mansion house is still in good condition. The old school at Wilsontown still stands but is in a ruinous state. It has the words 'fear god' and 'love thy neighbour' on the lintels.

1940 / 41: A bomb is dropped somewhere near Burnfoot / Mosshat and the men in Forkens mine hear the doors in the mine rattle. Forkens mine is shut down and the men are transferred to Wilsontown Colliery.

1948: Wilsontown Colliery has an output of 320 tons per day, 80,000 tons per annum. It uses longwall working, has 390 employees, two screen tables, a Luhrigg washer, no baths, a canteen for packed meals, a first aid centre, DC electricity (all generated at the mine), two shafts – no 3, 104m deep and no 9: 73m deep.

Kingshill no. 2 pit has one 269m deep shaft, downcast with a forcing fan, return mine at Climpy, 1 in 1.2 for 128m, output 640 tons per day, 160,000 per annum, it uses longwall working, has 589 employees, 3 screening tables, a Baum type washer, baths, a canteen for packed meals, and first aid room, all electricity is from public supply.

1951: The last passenger train passes through Wilsontown

1954: Wilsontown mansion house is demolished.

1955: Wilsontown Colliery closes.

1963: The last goods train passes through Wilsontown

1968: The core of the Wilsontown Ironworks site is designated a scheduled ancient monument due to its value as an example of an integrated ironworks.

1970: Forestry Commission Scotland purchases land containing remains of Wilsontown Ironworks.

1973: Forth Primary school do a study on Wilsontown Ironworks with teacher Sheila Kerr and Donald W Mack. The stables of Wilsontown mansion house still stand.

1974: Forestry Commission Scotland knocks down the remains of the culvert, the arched bridge, and two of the engine houses at Wilsontown Ironworks. Several local people protest and attempt to stop the demolition, including a teacher at Forth Primary School who tries to get an injunction from the Sheriff at Lanark.

1975: Kingshill no. 2 pit closes

1977: The area around the Ironworks is planted with a conifer crop by Forestry Commission Scotland.

The 21st century

2001: The scheduled ancient monument area at Wilsontown Ironworks is extended by Historic Scotland to include more of the features associated with the site, e.g. the 77 bell pits.

2002: Forestry Commission Scotland begins to research the history of Wilsontown Ironworks.

2007: The Wilsontown Ironworks Heritage Project is launched by Forestry Commission Scotland.

2008: The conifers planted on top of the bell pits are being removed by Forestry Commission Scotland.


Ver el vídeo: Jacobo I de Inglaterra y VI de Escocia, el hijo de María Estuardo. (Diciembre 2021).