Noticias

Joseph North

Joseph North


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Joseph North nació como Jacob Soifer en Ucrania, hijo de Jessie Soifer y Balia Yasnitz en 1904. Su hermano era Alex North, el compositor. (1) La familia emigró a los Estados Unidos en 1905 y se estableció en Chester, Pensilvania. El primer trabajo de North fue trabajar en una fábrica textil a la edad de 12 años. A esto le siguió el empleo en el astillero local. (2)

North regresó a la educación y finalmente se graduó con un B.A. de la Universidad de Pennsylvania y trabajó durante varios años después de su graduación como reportero para una variedad de periódicos de la ciudad. Howard Fast se convirtió en uno de sus amigos más cercanos: "Era un hombre grande y peludo, siempre descuidado incluso cuando se vestía con el mayor cuidado, de buen corazón, de buen carácter. Me recordó a Fray Tuck en los cuentos de Robin Hood. , un hombre sin rencor ni hostilidad, un hombre al que amaba y que llegó a ser como un hermano para mí ". (3)

Joseph North también contribuyó a la revista de izquierda, El libertador. Cuando fue asumida por Robert Minor y el Partido Comunista de los Estados Unidos (CPUS), North y algunos otros periodistas, incluidos Michael Gold y John Sloan, estaban descontentos con este desarrollo y en mayo de 1926, comenzaron su propio diario, el Nuevas misas. El principal patrocinador financiero de la empresa fue Rex Stout, quien contribuyó con $ 4,000 para ayudar a que la revista comenzara. Durante los años siguientes, la revista se asoció con el Partido Socialista Estadounidense. (4)

A lo largo de los años, la mayoría de los escritores y artistas de izquierda más conocidos produjeron material para la revista. Esto incluyó a Max Eastman, Upton Sinclair, Sherwood Anderson, Erskine Caldwell, Richard Wright, Ernest Hemingway, Alvah Bessie, James Agee, Ralph Ellison, Langston Hughes, John Dos Passos, Josephine Herbst, Albert Maltz, Agnes Smedley, John L. Spivak, Meridel Le Sueur, Theodore Dreiser, Floyd Dell, Art Young, William Gropper, Albert Hirschfeld, Carl Sandburg, Waldo Frank, Granville Hicks y Eugene O'Neill. Durante este período, la revista publicó el trabajo de una serie de escritores y artistas independientes. (5)

Michael Gold se convirtió en editor, pero cuando se lo permitió Nuevas misas para convertirse en un firme partidario de la Unión Soviética, los no comunistas como Max Eastman, Rex Stout y Floyd Dell dejaron de participar en la revista. (6) Gold produjo una revista visualmente emocionante empleando artistas como William Gropper, Art Young, Hugo Gellert y Reginald Marsh.

Joseph North ahora se unió al Partido Comunista de los Estados Unidos (CPUSA) y en 1931 se casó con su compañera Helen Oken. También contribuyó a la Trabajador diario. North ahora se comprometió fuertemente con la política de apoyar plenamente a Joseph Stalin. (7)

El CPUSA era un firme partidario del gobierno del Frente Popular y North fue enviado a informar sobre la Guerra Civil española. North llegó a Valencia en septiembre de 1937. Según Paul Preston, autor de Vimos morir a España: corresponsales extranjeros en la guerra civil española (2008), Luis Rubio Hidalgo, jefe de prensa de la cancillería republicana, no ayudó mucho a Norte: "Finalmente, accedió a dejarle tener la miseria de quinientas palabras por semana. Norte estaba desesperado hasta que las cosas cambió después de que Rubio fuera finalmente reemplazado por Constancia de la Mora, quien le dio amplias facilidades para enviar cables ". (8)

Louis Fischer estaba trabajando para La Nación cubriendo la guerra cuando unió fuerzas con North. Fischer viajaba en el coche Ford de North cuando fueron a cubrir los enfrentamientos en Ebro. (9) "Si un camión delante de usted se detiene con un tirón y sus ocupantes se precipitan hacia los campos, usted sabe que han avistado un avión. Pero la carretera estaba vacía y teníamos que estar atentos a nosotros mismos. Cuando nos acercábamos a un En el lugar donde un camino lateral se cruzaba con nuestra carretera principal, noté que un soldado y un niño que habían estado sentados en una alcantarilla se levantaron rápidamente y corrieron. Le grité al conductor y él apagó el motor. En el momento en que lo hizo, escuchamos un Un motor mucho más grande y ruidoso zumbando sobre nosotros. Abrimos las puertas y echamos el cerrojo, esperando llegar al campo abierto, porque una carretera es peligrosa porque es tan claramente visible desde el aire y no ofrece protección. Pero no pudimos llegar tan lejos. hasta el campo. El avión había abierto sus ametralladoras y nos estaba ametrallando. Había estado bajo las bombas muchas veces, pero esta era la primera vez que me atacaban y fue bastante terrible. al lado de la carretera ... Cerró sus armas. Miramos hacia arriba. Una bomba se separó de la mecha lage del avión y cayó con un silbido quejumbroso. Golpeó en algún lugar cercano. Pero eso fue todo. Sin explosión. Otra bomba cayó del avión. "Debe estar a unos mil pies", dijo Joe North. La bomba silbó y chocó contra la tierra. Silencio. Una tercera bomba y una cuarta bomba. Reanudó la altitud y se fue. Dos de nosotros corrimos al campo. Pero el avión había terminado con nosotros. Había dejado caer cuatro trapos. Decidimos que debía ser italiano. Encontramos las cuatro bombas. Uno había caído en el camino lateral a unos veinte metros de donde estábamos. Los otros tres habían caído en el campo cerca de la carretera. Si uno hubiera explotado, nos habría matado o mutilado a todos ". (9)

Ernest Hemingway fue muy crítico con los informes de Joseph North sobre la Guerra Civil Española. No le gustó la forma en que sus artículos en el Trabajador diario no proporcionó una descripción objetiva del conflicto. "Me gustan los comunistas cuando son soldados; cuando son sacerdotes, los odio. Sí, los sacerdotes, los comisarios que entregan las bulas papales ... Ese aire de autoridad que llevan tus líderes, como sotanas". Hemingway solía llamar a North "Stalin" y en una ocasión le dijo: "Escuche, camarada Stalin, nosotros (los periodistas que trabajan para la North American Newspaper Alliance) archivamos más material bueno en un día que el Trabajador ha impreso en dos años ". (10)

Vincent Sheean, que trabajaba para el New York Herald Tribune, recorrió la línea del frente con North y se asombró de que su compañero reportero se mostrara poco interesado en las operaciones militares o en verificar la información hasta que se dio cuenta de que, sin importar lo que sucediera, North informó del conflicto por orden del Partido Comunista de los Estados Unidos ( CPUSA). (11) Milton Wolff estuvo de acuerdo con la evaluación de Sheean y que "subestimó infaliblemente las bajas" y parecía "creer todo lo que escribió en el Trabajador diario". (12)

North criticó a otros periodistas. En su autobiografía criticó a Herbert Matthews por su falta de simpatía por los soldados heridos. "De repente, cuando el camión dobló una curva cerrada, el conductor perdió el control y dio una voltereta ante nuestros ojos, la escena de alegría se transformó en horror cuando los cuerpos yacían sangrando en el suelo. Matthews apretó los frenos, saltamos; nunca puedo Recuerdo dónde encontró Hemingway un botiquín de medicinas, pero estaba de rodillas, vendiendo a los heridos y consolándolos. Trabajamos juntos, la sangre de los moribundos en nuestras manos. Noté que Matthews caminaba entre los cuerpos, agachándose, sin ayudar , sino para entrevistar a los moribundos, tomando notas en un pequeño cuaderno ". Esto molestó a Hemingway, quien le gritó a Matthews: "Hijo de puta, sal o te mataré". (13)

A su regreso a los Estados Unidos, continuó trabajando para el Trabajador diario e informó sobre la Segunda Guerra Mundial. North fue editor de la Nuevas misas hasta que dejó de publicarse en 1948. Según los autores de Venona: descifrando el espionaje soviético en América (2000), North era miembro de la red soviética dirigida por Jacob Golos. (14) En su confesión al FBI, Elizabeth Bentley admitió que North reclutó a William Remington para la red. (15)

North siguió intentando persuadir a otros periodistas para que se unieran al Partido Comunista de Estados Unidos. Se acercó a Cedric Belfrage en 1945 después de la purga de Earl Browder y sus seguidores. "Joe North me invitó a almorzar para explicar la revuelta en su partido ... Con todo el respeto que tenía por el PC como el núcleo del movimiento radical, encontré que esta era una mala manera de generar confianza en el liderazgo del partido y la democracia del partido. " (dieciséis)

North se divorció de Helen Oken en 1957 y se casó con Augusta Strong en 1963. (17) Howard Fast sostiene en su autobiografía: Ser rojo (1990), que Joseph North siguió siendo un comunista comprometido hasta el final de su vida. "Él (North) se había entregado a la ortodoxia, y esa es una maldición terrible, en un Partido Comunista o en una religión o en la política o en cualquier sistema de pensamiento. (18)

Joseph North murió en diciembre de 1976.

Joe North se convertiría, en los años venideros, en uno de mis amigos más cercanos. Era un hombre grande y peludo, siempre descuidado incluso cuando se vestía con el mayor cuidado, de buen corazón, de buen carácter. Me recordó a Fray Tuck en los cuentos de Robin Hood, un hombre sin rencor ni hostilidad, un hombre al que amaba y que se convirtió en un hermano para mí. Con todo eso, se había entregado a la ortodoxia, y esa es una terrible maldición, en un Partido Comunista o en una religión o en la política o en cualquier sistema de pensamiento.

Joe North, el propietario del coche Ford, insistió ahora en volver a Barcelona, ​​y el francés, el inglés y yo coincidimos. La mañana se fue. Apuntamos el auto hacia el río. De vez en cuando, el chófer nos recordaba que sacáramos el cuello por las ventanas para ver si había aviones. Por lo general, uno era guiado por los camiones. Si un camión delante de usted se detenía con una sacudida y sus ocupantes salían corriendo al campo, sabía que habían avistado un avión. Todos yacíamos en la fétida zanja al costado de la carretera. Me dije a mí mismo: "No quiero quedarme lisiado o ciego. Es mejor morir". El avión estaba preparando un campo de fuego a nuestro alrededor. Éramos su único objetivo. Incliné la espalda, acerqué la cabeza lo más posible al hedor, me tapé los ojos con una mano y la coronilla con la otra. ¿Cuánto duró? Probablemente no más de dos minutos. Pero pueden ser muy largos. "Debe estar a unos mil pies", dijo Joe. Si uno hubiera explotado, nos habría matado o mutilado a todos. Una bomba se había incrustado en el suelo y estaba de pie con la punta hacia arriba. Una bomba está construida de tal manera que debe golpear el punto primero. Todas las bombas estaban defectuosas. Pesaban cien libras y sus conchas estaban oxidadas.

De repente, cuando el camión tomó una curva cerrada, el conductor perdió el control y dio una voltereta ante nuestros ojos, la escena de alegría se transformó en horror cuando los cuerpos yacían sangrando en el suelo. Noté que Matthews caminaba entre los cuerpos, agachándose, no para ayudar, sino para entrevistar a los moribundos, tomando notas en un pequeño cuaderno. Después de todo, él era ante todo "un Veces hombre ", y los plazos hasta el más humano de Veces los hombres eran más urgentes que la muerte o la vida. A cada hombre su lealtad. Hemingway se sobresaltó al verlo: "Hijo de puta", rugió, "lárgate o te mato". Después de esto, sentí un aprecio por él, un calor que ha perdurado hasta el día de hoy, porque, al pensar en ello después, sentí que había visto al hombre real; a pesar de su pose de tipo duro, aquí había un humanista, un partidario de la humanidad.

(1) Howard Fast, Ser rojo (1990) página 95

(2) Guía de los documentos familiares de Joseph North y Helen Oken North (2015)

(3) Howard Fast, Ser rojo (1990) página 131

(4) Alan M. Wald, Los intelectuales de Nueva York (1987) página 54

(5) Paul Buhle, Marxism in the USA: From 1870 to the Present Day (1987) página 172

(6) Barbara Foley, Presentaciones radicales: política y forma en la ficción proletaria estadounidense, 1929-1941 (1993) páginas 54-55

(7) Howard Fast, Ser rojo (1990) página 131

(8) Paul Preston, Vimos morir a España: corresponsales extranjeros en la guerra civil española (2008) página 95

(9) Louis Fischer, Hombres y política (1940) página 517

(10) Milton Wolff, Otra colina (1994) página 355

(11) Cecil D. Eby, Camaradas y comisarios: el batallón Lincoln en la guerra civil española (2007) página 131

(12) Milton Wolff, Otra colina (1994) página 382

(13) José Norte, Ningún hombre es extraño (1958) página 142

(14) Harvey Klehr y John Earl Haynes, Venona: descifrando el espionaje soviético en América (2000) página 161

(15) Robert J. Lamphere, La guerra del FBI-KGB (1986) página 38

(16) Cedric Belfrage y James Aronson, Algo que proteger (1978) página 8

(17) Guía de los documentos familiares de Joseph North y Helen Oken North (2015)

(18) Howard Fast, Ser rojo (1990) página 131


Joseph North

Investigando la historia de Berkhamsted en la época victoriana y en los primeros años del siglo XX, se pudo identificar a varios ciudadanos locales que desde sus humildes comienzos dejaron su huella, prosperaron e incluso se hicieron ricos. Uno de ellos fue Joseph North. La carretera que lleva su nombre no tiene nada que ver con su ubicación geográfica, ya que asciende de manera bastante confusa por la empinada ladera en el lado suroeste de la ciudad. Tanto John Sills como David Pike ganaron dinero en sus últimos años con la venta de terrenos y la construcción de casas. Tampoco se puede decir que sea digno del elogio adicional de "tan rico como Creso", título que se le otorgó a Joseph North.

Joseph North era de hecho un hombre muy rico, pero ¿alguna vez se le dio el apelativo de “tan rico como Creso”? Un pequeño folleto de dibujos animados y versos cómicos se refiere a muchas personas, incluido Joseph North. El retrato de Joseph con el texto que lo acompaña es: "Joe North, el Berkhamstead (sic) Croesus. Casi es dueño de la ciudad. ¿Por qué no construye una nueva Iglesia agradable y derriba el viejo espectáculo? "

Joseph North está enterrado en una tumba simple en el cementerio de Rectory Lane junto con su primera esposa Charlotte y Charles Edward Seagrave y su esposa Charlotte.

Jennifer Sherwood, Crónica v.XVI (marzo de 2019).


Joseph Fletcher aterriza el primer avión en el Polo Norte

Un C-47 de la Fuerza Aérea de los EE. UU. Modificado para esquiar y pilotado por el teniente coronel Joseph O. Fletcher de Oklahoma y el teniente coronel William P. Benedict de California se convierte en el primer avión en aterrizar en el Polo Norte. Un momento después, Fletcher salió del avión y caminó hasta el Polo Norte geográfico exacto, probablemente la primera persona en la historia en hacerlo.

A principios del siglo XX, los exploradores estadounidenses Robert Peary y el Dr. Frederick Cook, ambos afirmando haber llegado por separado al Polo Norte por tierra, se disputaron públicamente las afirmaciones de los demás. En 1911, el Congreso reconoció formalmente la afirmación de Peary & # x2019s. En los últimos años, más estudios de las afirmaciones contradictorias sugieren que ninguna expedición alcanzó el Polo Norte exacto, pero que Peary se acercó mucho más, quedando quizás a 30 millas de distancia. En 1952, el teniente coronel Fletcher fue la primera persona en posarse indiscutiblemente en el Polo Norte. Junto a Fletcher en la cima del mundo estaba el Dr. Albert P. Crary, un científico que en 1961 viajó al Polo Sur en un vehículo motorizado, convirtiéndose en la primera persona en la historia que se paró en ambos polos.


Asociación Lake Joseph North

Desde 1996 hemos hecho un gran progreso para preservar la calidad del lago Joseph North y mantener la belleza natural del lago. Aquí hay algunos hitos notables de LJNA en los últimos 20 años:

2016 - Presentamos nuestro logotipo de Loon a tiempo para nuestro 20 aniversario

2010 & amp En curso & # 8211 ayudar a establecer la iniciativa Safe Quiet Lakes con más de 80 asociaciones de lagos involucradas

2007 & # 8211 Negoció acuerdos de tres vías con el municipio de Seguin, Clublink & amp LJNA sobre restricciones de desarrollo futuro en el sitio de Rocky Crest

2004 & amp En curso & # 8211 apoyó a Muskoka Conservancy & # 8211 más de 13,000 pies de la costa del lago Joe protegidos

2004 � - Apoyó el nuevo Consejo de Seguin y se unió a los Comités de Finanzas y Plan Oficial de Seguin, la representación en el Comité de Finanzas está en curso

2003 & # 8211 Destacó el aumento de impuestos y problemas de deuda de Seguin & # 8217 durante el año electoral

2002 & # 8211 Se unió a la Asociación de Lagos Muskoka en el monitoreo riguroso de la calidad del agua en el lago Joseph North

1999 & # 8211 Apeló a la Junta Ambiental de Ontario y logró exigir restricciones de monitoreo de agua en el desarrollo de Clublink & # 8217s Rocky Crest cuando no se requerían restricciones de Township

1996 & # 8211 Abogado por cobertizos para botes de 1 & amp1 / 2 pisos & # 8211 no permitidos previamente pero con un tamaño de estructura reducido de lo que se permitía entonces


Joseph North

Mi investigación se centra principalmente en la literatura del modernismo británico, con especial interés en la historia y teoría de la crítica a lo largo del siglo XX. Mi libro Crítica literaria: una historia política concisa rastrea la historia de la crítica literaria angloamericana desde principios del siglo XX hasta el presente, centrándose particularmente en la cuestión de su carácter político. Supongo que también soy algo generalista, con intereses literarios que varían bastante de un período a otro.


Luces del muelle norte de St. Joseph

El río St. Joseph divide las comunidades actuales de Benton Harbor y St. Joseph, donde desemboca en el sur del lago Michigan. Ya en la década de 1830, la ubicación del río St. Joseph hizo que el área fuera importante para el transporte marítimo. Las tripulaciones del barco necesitaban la ayuda del ciudadanos de la ciudad. Cuenta la leyenda que a principios del siglo XIX, la familia de un capitán Pickering colgaba linternas en las ventanas del segundo piso de su casa en el lago Michigan a la llegada esperada de su barco para ayudarlo a guiarlo hacia el puerto, convirtiendo así en su hogar en St. Joseph's el primero. faro.

El primer faro de Michigan en el lago Michigan se construyó en St. Joseph en 1832 y se mantuvo en un acantilado en el continente. El faro se puso en funcionamiento poco después de su finalización. Catorce años después, se construyó un muelle de madera que se extendía hasta el lago Michigan y se construyó un nuevo faro al final del muelle. En 1886, el faro se equipó con una lente de Fresnel. En 1905 se instaló una lente Fresnel de cuarto orden y en 1907 se amplió el muelle y se agregó una luz exterior de acero que se iluminó con una lente Fresnel de quinto orden.

La luz de la orilla original continuó funcionando hasta 1924. El edificio fue ocupado por la Cruz Roja Americana y sirvió como sede local hasta 1954, cuando el edificio se vendió a la Ciudad de St. Joseph. Desafortunadamente, el edificio fue demolido en 1955 para crear estacionamiento adicional.

Ambas luces de muelle, que son uno de los pocos sistemas de luz de rango de muelle que quedan en los Grandes Lagos, todavía están en funcionamiento. La luz exterior descansa sobre una estructura de acero de unos 30 pies de altura. La luz interior está contenida en un edificio más grande. La estructura de dos pisos con paredes de acero tiene un techo de cuatro aguas rojo. Una torre octogonal se eleva dos pisos más por encima de la casa y está rematada por un parapeto y una pasarela de hierro negro. Una pasarela se extiende a lo largo de 300 yardas desde la costa hasta el segundo piso del faro. Se construyeron pasarelas para que los fareros pudieran acceder a las luces cuando el mar estaba agitado y las olas rompían sobre el muelle, lo que lo hacía demasiado resbaladizo para caminar. La pasarela continúa hasta la luz exterior.

Indicaciones: Desde la I-94 al norte de Benton Harbor, tome la South Business Route 94 (salida 33) y conduzca unas 5 millas hasta la M-63 (llamada M-33 en los mapas más antiguos) en St. Joseph. Gire a la derecha (norte) en la M-63, cruce el río St. Joseph y gire a la derecha (este) en Upton Drive, la primera calle que se cruza con la M-63 después de haber cruzado el puente. Siga por Upton Drive, que gira bruscamente hacia el oeste y luego hacia el norte, 0,6 millas hasta Marina Drive. Gire a la izquierda (sur) en Marina Drive (un camino de ladrillos) y recorra 0.3 millas, alrededor de la cuenca oeste, hasta la entrada de Tiscornia Park, a la derecha. Siga las señales hacia el área de estacionamiento. El muelle y el faro están a la izquierda.

Para el mundo, puedes ser una persona, pero para una persona puedes ser el mundo.


Reseñas de la comunidad

Atraído por su subtítulo, imaginé que este libro me presentaría sucintamente, como lector lego, un par de siglos de crítica literaria desde un ángulo político. Pero esta gama de libros y apóstoles resulta ser mucho más limitada. Centrado en conceptos rivales, codificado para especialistas, analiza un pequeño número de académicos estadounidenses e ingleses clave del siglo XX y sus diferencias intramurales en las teorías sobre cómo debe interpretarse la literatura. (El tipo de literatura susceptible de interpretación parece Atraída por su subtítulo, imaginé que este libro me presentaría sucintamente, como lector lego, un par de siglos de crítica literaria desde un ángulo político. Pero el alcance de este libro Resulta ser mucho más limitado. Centrado en conceptos rivales, codificado para especialistas, analiza un pequeño número de académicos estadounidenses e ingleses clave del siglo XX y sus diferencias intramurales en las teorías de cómo se debe interpretar la literatura. para la interpretación parece ser la ficción intelectual y la poesía de Inglaterra y los Estados Unidos, el resto del mundo y sus literaturas, con pocas excepciones menores, no aparecen).
El libro esboza de manera útil historias y contextos de estas teorías en disputa desde una perspectiva de izquierda. Sin embargo, su objetivo polémico es un enfoque favorecido por la izquierda, a saber, el paradigma "historicista / contextualista" promovido por Raymond Williams, Fredric Jameson y otros. Ellos y legiones de académicos que persiguen estudios literarios y culturales utilizaron la literatura como una especie de lupa sobre la sociedad en ese paradigma, los puntos de vista éticos y subjetivos de los lectores, sus emociones o experiencias terapéuticas, el material de la crítica literaria, son de poca importancia. interesar. Desde 1970 ese paradigma ha triunfado sobre un enfoque "estético" favorecido por los conservadores. Sin embargo, la victoria de la izquierda ha sido pírrica, ya que los impactos de su paradigma han sido neutralizados, de alguna manera, a través de mecanismos no especificados relacionados con el capitalismo neoliberal. Eso es doblemente lamentable en el sentido de que los propios estudiosos de la izquierda comparten la culpa de ese resultado improductivo. En gran medida ignoraron los potenciales políticos / éticos de otro paradigma "estético" progresista, que se originó con el académico I.A. Richards en la década de 1920. Así, desviados hacia torres de marfil, los estudiosos no han logrado crear estudios literarios capaces de intervenir y animar la vida pública, de encender emociones y despertar sensibilidades colectivas entre los lectores.
Después de extensas discusiones de debates recientes, esencialmente guerras de posición entre académicos, el libro especula sobre la reanimación del espíritu y el propósito de la crítica literaria como lo adelantó Richards. La teoría dice que si los académicos literarios promovieran el mejor paradigma, ayudarían a los lectores a interactuar con la literatura de manera que los llevara a promover un cambio social progresivo. Un poco exagerado, tal vez, pero simplemente plausible.

Ahora, como generalista sin formación formal en estudios literarios, carezco de calificaciones para evaluar los argumentos de este libro. Evidentemente, el libro no fue escrito para lectores como yo. De todos modos, aguanté hasta el final. El autor presenta sus argumentos con altos niveles de abstracción. Ejemplos concretos de cómo los académicos han aplicado el paradigma “historicista / contextualista” en publicaciones académicas aparecen brevemente y sin comentarios al final del tercer capítulo. El autor presenta su nuevo paradigma in extenso, pero también en términos abstractos. Aparte de breves referencias al libro de alguien sobre las novelas de Jane Austin, no se ofrecen ejemplos específicos. Eso me dejó preguntándome: ¿seguramente el autor podría haber demostrado cómo funcionaría su nuevo paradigma en el caso de una pieza específica de literatura? ¿O podría haber evocado un ejemplo imaginario? Quizás entonces podría haber comprendido mejor qué tipo de crítica quiere que surja el autor, una de las principales intenciones de su polémica.

La prosa de este libro es sencilla. Las oraciones son largas, complicadas y llenas de abstracciones. A falta de casos específicos, es seco y plano. Palabras como autotélico me hizo alcanzar el diccionario. Parte de la gramática es extraña, el autor usa la palabra aparición como verbo: "... cualquier nuevo período de capital que surja a raíz de ..." Los editores de estilo de Harvard University Press seguramente deben haber visto y aprobado ese uso, pero sobre qué base es un misterio.

Para mí, el valor principal del libro de North es su relato de cómo un árbol genealógico de teorías literarias en la academia angloamericana creció y brotó vástagos en el conservadurismo cultural estadounidense.

El libro también me hizo pensar en el tipo de crítica literaria que aparece en el Goodreads sitio web. Siguiendo las críticas que he leído aquí, nadie sigue nada que se parezca a un paradigma "historicista / contextualista", que obtiene la desaprobación calificada de North. Mientras que muchos Goodreads Los críticos parecen inspirados en formas que merecerían la aprobación de North: la búsqueda del afecto, la terapia, la ética y el puro disfrute; en una palabra, los impulsores de la auténtica crítica literaria como a él le gustaría verla.

Me fascinaría saber qué conclusiones sacarían teóricos literarios como North de un estudio de reseñas sobre Goodreads. . más

El libro de North & aposs es una mirada clara al destino de lo que él llama el paradigma crítico en los estudios literarios académicos, especialmente frente al paradigma académico que ha llegado a dominar la academia durante los últimos cuarenta años. North es particularmente bueno para ilustrar ese cambio histórico, y una sección al final del capítulo tres en la que simplemente extrae los enunciados de tesis de las principales obras durante ese período subraya cuán completamente el modo & quothistoricista / contextualista & quot del libro literario de North es un claro- Observe con atención el destino de lo que él llama el paradigma crítico en los estudios literarios académicos, especialmente frente al paradigma académico que ha llegado a dominar la academia durante los últimos cuarenta años. North es particularmente bueno para ilustrar ese cambio histórico, y una sección al final del capítulo tres en la que simplemente extrae las declaraciones de tesis de las principales obras durante ese período subraya cuán completamente el modo de erudición literaria "historicista / contextualista" domina el campo. .

Si bien califica regularmente que está * buscando * formas en que un paradigma crítico pueda resurgir, especialmente como una herramienta para el pensamiento y la acción de izquierda, las pistas que identifica en el capítulo cuatro son en realidad solo pistas, y el libro es casi enloquecedor en la sensación de que realmente no puede exponer cómo sería ese nuevo paradigma. North no afirma ser capaz de manejar esa tarea, por lo que no promete demasiado, sin embargo, esa ausencia en la conclusión también podría verse como la principal limitación del libro. Sin embargo, se podría decir con la misma facilidad que el libro tiene éxito precisamente porque deja a los lectores (o al menos a este lector) con la boca abierta sobre las posibilidades de cómo podría ser un nuevo paradigma. ¿Suficiente para intentar emprender ese trabajo nosotros mismos? Difícil de decir.

Al final, sí, me siento impulsado a estar atento a un retorno a una crítica personal, leída con atención, que inculque un conjunto de valores más claramente desde la izquierda, pero quizás las limitaciones del libro astuto y provocador de North radiquen en el hecho de que ha utilizado precisamente el tipo de analítica historicista / contextualista para la crítica literaria que sugiere que está a punto de agotar todo el campo. . más


Joseph North - Historia

Muelle de St. Joseph, MI

Galería de fotos

Galería de fotos

Galería de fotos

Faro del muelle de San José

El trabajo en la construcción de muelles para facilitar la entrada al río St. Joseph desde el lago Michigan comenzó en 1836 y, para 1844, la cantidad total gastada en el proyecto fue de $ 121,113. Se podía navegar por el río unas sesenta millas río arriba, donde había una gran cantidad de tierra cuyo producto podía exportarse a otras regiones del país. Los planificadores se jactaban de que St. Joseph `` se convertiría en un lugar importante, probablemente solo superado por Chicago, en este lago ''. Para 1848, se había establecido una luz de baliza en el muelle, y el número de lámparas en la luz principal se había reducido a solo cuatro.

El faro de piedra de San José fue reemplazado en 1859 por una vivienda de dos pisos con armazón con una torre cuadrada que se eleva desde un extremo de su techo puntiagudo. La luz estaba aproximadamente a cuarenta y ocho pies sobre el suelo, pero el acantilado en el que se encontraba le daba un plano focal de 101 pies sobre el nivel del lago. El color de la luz se cambió de blanco a rojo en 1864 para que pudiera distinguirse de otras luces cercanas.

El 15 de julio de 1870, el Congreso asignó $ 3,000 para una nueva baliza de cabeza de muelle, que se construyó más tarde ese año en el muelle sur junto con una pasarela elevada. En 1876 se asignó un asistente de mantenimiento a la estación para ayudar con la tarea de mantener dos luces. En 1881, la baliza de la cabeza del muelle se transfirió al extremo exterior del muelle norte, y su luz se cambió de blanco fijo a rojo fijo. Una nueva torre de marco abierto, que era quince pies y medio más alta que la baliza anterior del muelle, se construyó en el muelle norte en 1885, y tras la apertura de la navegación en 1886, comenzó a mostrar una luz blanca fija desde una lente de cuarto orden. Esta luz se consideró suficiente para el puerto, y el faro de 1859 se suspendió el 18 de marzo de 1886. El 1 de noviembre de 1887, se agregó una campana de niebla de 1,500 libras, golpeada por un aparato de golpe de Stevens, a la torre de la cabeza del muelle.

El faro de 1859 se restableció el 10 de julio de 1889, y más tarde ese año se agregó una luz de conducto al muelle para formar luces de rango para ingresar al río. La luz delantera consistía en un poste cerca del final del muelle a la parte superior del cual se conectaba un conducto de 290 pies de largo que se usaba para tender una luz hacia el poste desde la protección de la torre de la cabeza del muelle. Una lente de quinto orden reemplazó a la lente de cuarto orden utilizada en la torre de cabeza de perforación en 1899, y es probable que la lente de cuarto orden se haya instalado en el faro de 1859. La característica del faro de 1859 fue fijada en blanco con un destello cada noventa segundos, siendo los destellos producidos por un panel que giraba alrededor de la lente fija Henry-Lepaute. En 1892, la frecuencia de los destellos se incrementó a uno cada cuarenta y cinco segundos mediante la adición de otro panel de destellos. La frecuencia de los destellos se aumentó de nuevo en 1901 a un destello blanco cada treinta segundos.

El puesto de asistente de portero se eliminó cuando se suspendió la luz del continente después de la temporada de navegación de 1885, pero se asignó otro asistente de portero a la estación en 1889, cuando se reactivó la luz del continente.

El 11 de junio de 1896, después de años de peticiones por parte de la Junta del Faro, el Congreso asignó $ 5,000 para una señal de niebla de vapor para reemplazar la campana, que a menudo era ineficaz. Se creó un `` pozo '' para la señal de niebla de vapor en la cuna sacando piedra de un bolsillo y colocándola en una caja de tablones. Después de que se instalaron las calderas, los motores y las bombas necesarias en el nuevo edificio de señales de niebla en el muelle, se estableció un silbato de vapor de diez pulgadas el 1 de febrero de 1897, con un deflector parabólico construido detrás del silbato para enfocar el sonido hacia el lago. Para ayudar con la carga de trabajo adicional creada por la señal de niebla de vapor, se agregó un segundo asistente de mantenimiento a la estación. La luz del conducto se suspendió en este momento ya que la baliza y la señal de niebla se habían movido al final del muelle, pero se estableció una luz de poste a 400 pies hacia la costa para que sirviera como una nueva luz trasera para las luces de rango del muelle.

La torre trasera consta de una estructura de acero de veinticuatro pies cuadrados cuyo techo piramidal está coronado por una torre octogonal y una sala de linterna circular con barras helicoidales. Se instaló una lente de cuarto orden fabricada por Chance Brothers en la linterna para producir una luz roja fija. The pier s original ten-inch steam whistle, constructed by J. P. McGuire of Cleveland, Ohio, was transferred to the lower portion of the new structure. A diaphone fog signal was installed in the rear tower in 1933.

In 1908, a duplex, with seven rooms in each of its two apartments, was constructed at the inner end of the north pier for the keepers. The 1859 lighthouse remained in operation until 1919, when an acetylene light was established atop a red, skeletal tower on the south pier. No longer needed, the lighthouse was sold to the City of St. Joseph in 1936. Over the years, the structure housed offices for the American Red Cross, the American Cancer Society, and the Society for Crippled children, but in 1955 local preservationists lost their battle to preserve the historic lighthouse, and it was razed to make room for a parking lot. Owen C. McCauley, who was in charge of the pierhead lights from 1931 to 1936, was one of those who tried to save the lighthouse. That station should not be torn down, said McCauley. It should be kept up for a souvenir, if for nothing else.

Daniel R. Platt had the longest tenure as a keeper at St. Joseph. He began his service in 1883 as head keeper of the mainland and pierhead lights and served until the mainland was deactivated permanently in 1919. When the current pier range lights were established in 1907, a head keeper and two assistants were assigned to them while Platt remained in charge of just the mainland light.

A Lighthouse Depot for the ninth district of the United States Lighthouse Service was built alongside the river in 1893. After a depot was built in Milwaukee, the one at St. Joseph became less important and was transferred to the Navy in 1918. The depot buildings were home to the Lighthouse Depot Brewpub and Restaurant from 1997 to 2001, but now belong to the Saint Joseph River Yacht Club.

One of the reasons the City stepped forward is because our area has already lost much of our lighthouse history, said Bob Judd, a former may of St. Joseph. The original 1832 lighthouse, the 1859 lighthouse that once stood on the bluff, along with the South Pier lights, are gone forever. We almost lost the catwalk until a grassroots effort in the 1980s saved it. We cannot lose our current lighthouses. We need to save them for future generations to enjoy.

In August 2008, a historical architect assessed the inner and outer lighthouse structures, at a cost of $17,000, and concluded that $1 million in repairs would be necessary before public access to the lights could be permitted. The inner light required more attention as part of its ceiling had collapsed.

A Lighthouse Forever Fund Committee was formed in 2014 to raised $2 million in private donations to fully restore the pier range lights and catwalk. After that, maintenance will be funded by the city s general fund tax revenues. By the end of 2014, the committee had raised $1.65 million, which allowed bids to be invited for the restoration work. Mihm Enterprises of Hamilton was selected to rehabilitate the lighthouses at a cost of just over $980,000, and the north pier was closed in June 2015 so work could get started. The restoration effort concluded in the spring of 2016, shortly after a replica of a smokestack that had been removed in 1949 was installed on the inner light. All the hard work in raising the funds and saving the lights was rewarded with a 2016 Governor s Award for Historic Preservation.

The fourth-order Fresnel lens was removed from the inner light in 2012 and taken to the Heritage Museum Cultural Center in St. Joseph, where it was restored and placed on display along with the fifth-order lens used in the outer light that had been removed in 2005. The 1908 keepers duplex still stands near the end of the north pier.

The piers at St. Joseph and Grand Haven are the only ones on the Great Lakes that retain their range lights and catwalks. The St. Joseph Pier Lights were featured on a postage stamp issued in 1995.


FAMILY HISTORIES ONLINE

This book traces the history of Grafton from about three years before its incorporation as a town on June 23, 1882, to the Centennial Celebration on June 23, 1982. The following sources were used in an attempt to compile as accurately as possible these past 100 years:

  1. “City of Grafton Illustrated”, a publication by William L. Dudley, published by “The News and Times” in 1900.
  2. The 10th anniversary edition of “The County Record,” published in May of 1900 by A.L. Woods.
  3. The 50th anniversary edition of the “Walsh County Record” and Court House Dedication published in 1940.
  4. The Potato Editions, special publications of the Grafton News and Times between the years 1937 to 1942.
  5. The 75th anniversary edition of “The City of Grafton,” published by the Walsh County Record in 1953.
  6. “Walsh Heritage,” four volumes published by the Walsh County Historical Society in 1976 and 1981.
  7. “The Grafton News” published in Grafton beginning September 22, 1881, by Frank Winship.
  8. “The Walsh County Times,” published by H.C. Upham beginning May 31, 1882.
  9. “The Grafton Herald,” published by J.T. Duffy and G.C. Judson beginning February 14, 1885.
  10. “The Walsh County Record” (later the “Grafton Record”) beginning April 2, 1890, A.L. Woods and Edward Pierce publishers.

PISEK, THE FIRST CENTURY: A History of Pisek, North Dakota, and it’s People (c) 1982

“Pisek – the First Century: A History of Pisek, ND and Its People,” was published in 1982 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Pisek. It contains 326 pages of town and family history, and has hundreds of photographs and historical records. It takes you back to the formation and early days of the town. This book is a rare find for genealogists, historians or anyone with an interest in Pisek, Walsh County or the history of Czechs and Slovaks in America.

PARK RIVER — 100 YEARS, 1884-1984: A History of Park River, North Dakota, including some family biographies.

Published in 1984 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Park River. It contains 419 pages of town and family history, and has hundreds of photographs and historical records.

This book, printed in 1955, contains a history of Warsaw, North Dakota, and surrounding communities, from 1880-1955, with particular attention placed on the history of the Polish National Alliance Warsaw Lodge 3043, a Catholic fraternity, a vital part of their history. Includes sketches of community pioneers and leaders and recollections of incidents as told by those pioneers. Also contains information on the beautiful St. Stanislaus Catholic Church and the St. Anthony Academy in Warsaw. Has many advertisements from local businesses, 64 pages.

This history of Fordville, North Dakota, by G.K. Ness, printed in 1973, contains 231 pages of research on the pioneers who homesteaded there over 100 years ago and those who followed, continuing on with their legacy.

This small booklet is an area fact survey sponsored by the Hoople Community Betterment Committee in cooperation with the North Dakota Economic Development Commission and Otter Tail Power Company. Published in 1964, 12 pages, illustrated.

This book contains portraits and military information about people who served in World War I from Walsh County, North Dakota. 231 pages illustrated.


Parker, Joseph

Joseph Parker, general Baptist (now Free Will Baptist) clergyman, founded churches in Halifax, Pitt, Greene, and Lenoir counties. According to tradition, he was a member and probable pastor of the General Baptist church in Chowan County in 1727, founded and pastored a church in Hertford County about 1735, pastored the church called Lower Fishing Creek in Edgecombe (now Halifax) County from 1748 to 1756, and then moved to the south of Tar River. George W. Paschal suggested that Parker was the son of a man of the same forename and that he married the daughter (Sarah Welch) of another member of the 1727 Chowan church. Some elements of this tradition have been accepted for more than a century and a half, and one is very reluctant to offer an exposition of Parker's life contrary to it.

Nevertheless, Joseph Parker was the son of a prosperous planter named Francis Parker and his wife Elizabeth who came with other families from Surry, Nansemond, and Isle of Wight counties, Va., through Bertie County into the Roanoke and Tar river valleys in North Carolina during the 1720s. The numerous Parkers who were members of the 1727 Chowan County General Baptist church might or might not have been related, but there appears to be no reason in fact to connect either Joseph Parker or his father Francis directly with that church or with the ministry of Paul Palmer. On the other hand, this family of Parkers had by 1727 settled on Deep Creek on the south of Roanoke River below Kehukee Swamp, which brought them within the sphere of influence of William Surginer and other General Baptist families who had come from Isle of Wight County, Va., into the Roanoke River valley. Sometime before 1735 the family had moved farther south to the lower, or southeastern, portion of Fishing Creek on Tar River, at which time young Joseph Parker held the office of constable of the district.

It is not known under whose influence he was converted to Baptist doctrine or who immersed him in baptism. Such education as he had, he got as an adult, learning to read and write sometime between 1735 and 1740, so his conversion was presumably through hearing rather than reading. Since Parker purchased a New Testament in 1741 from the estate of Henry West, one assumes that he had leanings towards a religious life by that date. In the spring of 1742, the Lower Fishing Creek community was visited by Constant Devotion, a Rhode Island Baptist who had been with Paul Palmer in 1734 and had joined William Surginer at Kehukee Swamp in the late 1730s. While at Lower Fishing Creek in May 1742, Devotion witnessed two deeds made by Parker's father, Francis Parker, so he is known to have had contact with the family of Joseph Parker. Little is known of Devotion other than that he was active in Baptist circles in Rhode Island and North Carolina, but whether as an exhorter or as a preacher is unclear. Whatever his role had been in establishing General Baptist congregations in colonial Edgecombe County, it came to an end when he was killed by a fall from his mare at Fishing Creek on 8 June 1742. One supposes Devotion played a role in the conversion of Parker.

Parker presumably attended meetings at the General Baptist church established at Kehukee Swamp by William Surginer about 1742. Parker was at Kehukee in November 1745, for he witnessed a deed from Surginer to William Andrews at this time. One supposes, too, that Parker had been baptized by Surginer at Kehukee, and that he was licensed by the church there to preach prior to his actual ordination. Further, Parker seems to have attended the yearly meetings of the General Baptist churches for he learned something of Paul Palmer's work in the eastern counties. In 1747 Parker was joined at Lower Fishing Creek by Palmer's disciple and successor, Josiah Hart. In 1748 the General Baptist church called Lower Fishing Creek (in contradistinction to the church called Fishing Creek upstream in Bute County) was constituted, and Parker was ordained its pastor. There can be little doubt that either Surginer or Hart was officiating elder for both the constitution of the church and the ordination of Parker. In 1748 Hart went north to Roanoke River to join Surginer at Kehukee, but he continued to return to Tar River and Lower Fishing Creek to assist Parker at intervals. In the spring of 1749, for example, Hart was back at Lower Fishing Creek where he baptized Charles Daniel, and he returned in August 1753 to ordain Daniel as assistant to Joseph Parker.

At the beginning of 1753, Parker, who had purchased and sold tracts of land in Edgecombe from as early as 1742, commenced negotiations with the agents of Lord Granville's land office for the purchase of a square mile of land in the area of his church on Lower Fishing Creek, but the acquisition of Daniel as his assistant in August of that year freed Parker to visit some of the churches to the southward that had resulted from Palmer's ministry in the late 1730s. At Stony Creek in present Wayne County, northeast of the town of Goldsboro, he found a General Baptist church pastored by George Graham, who had been ordained by Palmer about 1739, and to the east at Swift Creek in northwestern Craven County he found another pastored by Joseph Willis, who had been ordained by Graham and William Fulsher. (Fulsher, like Graham, had been ordained by Palmer at the close of the 1730s.) It was in the area between these two General Baptist centers, present northern Lenoir and southern Greene counties, that Parker was to devote most of his ministry. His initial reception there was warm and the field promising. As a result, on Christmas Day, 1756, Parker purchased one hundred acres in the area where he gathered his first church in Greene County, Little Creek, lying between Great and Little Contentnea creeks.

While Parker was busy at Neuse River establishing a new ministry, forces greater than he were at work among the General Baptist churches he had left on the Roanoke and Tar rivers. On the heels of William Surginer's death in February 1750, a pair of Surginer's recently ordained preachers at the upper Fishing Creek church (subsequently called Reedy Creek, Warren County) embraced the Calvinist doctrine of divine election of particular individuals to eternal salvation to the exclusion of the remainder of humanity. This doctrine was antithetical to the General Baptist doctrine of general provision that held the death of Jesus to have been efficacious for the salvation of any of mankind who believed in him and repented of their sins. By 1751 at least one member of Surginer's original church, Kehukee, had fallen under the influence of the newly imported doctrine. These ministers, or others, appealed to the Philadelphia Association of Baptists to send clergy south to strengthen their hands. That association had been a voluntary coming together of Baptists, both Arminian and Calvinist, for common benefit. In 1742, however, the organization adopted a Calvinist creed as the standard of orthodoxy, and the particular form of Calvinism that developed among its constituent churches was greatly heightened by the Great Awakening. Like Whitfield, they believed themselves justified in going uninvited into other ministers' churches, and they followed Whitfield's example of denouncing as unregenerated, hypocrites, or wolves in sheep's clothing those clergy who were opposed to their practices and theology. The Philadelphia Association sent the Reverend John Gano to look into conditions in the Carolinas in 1754. Gano stopped in the Roanoke River valley long enough to examine General Baptist clergy and laity alike, and to assure many of both that they were neither walking in the paths of grace nor among the elect of God. The following year, having received Gano's report, the Philadelphia Association sent two ministers, Benjamin Miller and Peter Peterson Vanhorn, on a special mission to rescue the southern churches from General Baptist "error." The two Calvinist missionaries arrived on Roanoke River at the very time that the two senior General Baptist ministers of the area were absent: legal affairs had obliged Josiah Hart to return to Tyrrell County (where he died prior to the spring of 1758), and Joseph Parker was engaged on his mission to Neuse River.

Miller and Vanhorn astutely began their work of expunging General Baptist "error" by persuading to their views the young clergymen who had not yet turned Calvinist (for example, Surginer's successor at Kehukee was only twenty-two when he was ordained in 1750, as was Parker's assistant when he was ordained in 1753). The newly converted pastors then led a minority of their church members in forming a new church on Calvinist lines, leaving their previous General Baptist congregations to get along as best they could without pastoral care. This meant that those congregations without a pastor to administer communion and preside over the washing of the saints' feet, to baptize and lay on hands, to maintain orderly discipline in the churches, and to ordain successor clergy were doomed to extinction. Even those who held onto their meetinghouses or, as at Toisnot, contested Calvinist occupation of their places of meeting, were unable to survive indefinitely without pastors. At Parker's church, Lower Fishing Creek, his young assistant, Charles Daniel, stopped preaching and walked out in 1756 with six members, formed a new Calvinist church with himself as pastor, and built a new meetinghouse in 1757, calling it thereafter the church at Daniel's Meetinghouse. Having done not quite enough, Daniel then helped the pastor of the General Baptist church at Falls of Tar River constitute a new Calvinist church there, consisting of the pastor and five members, on 3 Dec. 1757.

In the interim Miller and Vanhorn progressed southwards towards Neuse River on their mission. At Stony Creek they converted Palmer's disciple, George Graham, who withdrew with some members to form a new Calvinist Baptist church at adjacent Bear Creek in this case the General Baptist church at Stony Creek survived, owing perhaps to the efforts of the nearby Joseph Parker. The two Calvinist missionaries had similar success with Palmer's church at Swift Creek, Craven County, where they proselyted (the term is the one used by the Calvinist Baptist historian, Morgan Edwards) the pastor, two women of his family, and twelve other General Baptists to form a new Calvinist Baptist church there. The two Philadelphians had no luck at all with Joseph Parker, nor with Palmer's disciple William Fulsher at Pungo in Beaufort County, Palmer's convert John Winfield in Hyde County, nor William Harris, also in Hyde County, who had been ordained by Graham and Fulsher just prior to the missionaries' advent.

To the north of Albemarle Sound, however, Palmer's church in Pasquotank County divided doctrinally in 1757 when the pastor (son of the original pastor and Palmer's old friend, William Burgess) led out his son and ten other members and built them a new meetinghouse at his own expense. They were constituted a Calvinist Baptist church on 20 Jan. 1758 by Joseph Parker's former assistant at Lower Fishing Creek, Charles Daniel. This state of affairs was discovered by Parker in the summer of 1758 when he visited the General Baptist church in Pasquotank and baptized Henry Abbott (who, too, embraced Calvinist views in the following decade). What Parker probably did not know is that the General Baptist churches in the northern colonies, toured by Palmer in 1730, had experienced a similar onslaught after 1742 with the result that many of them were "dissolved" while Calvinist churches were constituted in their stead. What Parker must have known, on the other hand, is that Calvinist doctrine had been introduced into the church in Isle of Wight County and that the ministers there wrote to the Philadelphia Association at the end of 1756 requesting a delegation be sent to examine their foundations and settle their doctrine in conformity with the orthodoxy of Philadelphia. If there was a yearly meeting of the Virginia and North Carolina General Baptist churches held in 1758, it was the last in Parker's lifetime. Thereafter, the yearly meetings would have included only Joseph Parker's churches in Greene, Pitt, and Lenoir counties, Palmer's churches in the Albemarle-Pamlico peninsula pastored by William Fulsher, William Harris, and John Winfield, and, presumably, the church at Meherrin in Hertford County pastored by William Parker.

Parker, unable to counter the effects of Calvinism in the Roanoke-Tar river area or to impede its progress among the clergy, but able to stem its spread into his newly evangelized territory at Neuse River, sold in 1758 his interest in the square mile of land on Fishing Creek for which he had made an entry in Lord Granville's land office in 1753. He then moved permanently to the Neuse River area and purchased more land there. (It is unlikely that the deaths of Parker's father in 1757 and brother Simon—whose will was witnessed by Charles Daniel—in 1758 had anything to do with his permanent move to Neuse River.)

Parker's initial work in the Neuse River basin carried him from his center at Little Contentnea Creek to Swift Creek in Pitt and Craven counties, where he regained some ground from the Calvinists. Immediately to his northeast, on the headwaters of Swift Creek, he gathered a congregation at Gum Swamp (southwest of Winterville). From here he traveled in 1762 north of Tar River and preached the doctrine of general provision to the Conetoe settlements and to families living in the area of Flat Swamp (where the counties of Pitt, Edgecombe, and Martin share a common boundary). The ground here was contested by ministers from the Calvinist Baptist church at Toisnot Swamp who commenced preaching at Flat Swamp in 1766. Parker seems to have found a disciple at Flat Swamp, however, for when the Calvinist Baptist church was constituted in 1776, two ordinands offered themselves, and one of them, John Stancill, was discovered to hold Arminian views. He was rejected for ordination. Parker is said to have preached here perhaps a couple of times a year during the latter part of his life, and it is entirely possible that he ordained Stancill when the Calvinists refused to do so. Stancill has been described by the Calvinist Baptist historians as a "tolerably arch, cunning, and insinuating" man. By his preaching in the neighborhood, Stancill carried away many members from the Calvinists "with his craft." Parker's successor, James Roach, reaped in this field sown by Parker and Stancill by gathering a General Baptist church at Conetoe in 1798. Similarly, Parker's ministry near the mouth of Swift Creek in Craven County is now known to have borne immediate fruit, but the churches at Little Swift Creek, Clayroot, and Kitts Swamp were gathered after Parker's death by his successors.

At the time that Parker was preaching in the Conetoe settlements, he did not neglect other areas. Tradition says that he preached occasionally to the Meherrin General Baptist church in Hertford County pastored by William Parker. The pastor at Meherrin has been supposed a cousin to Joseph Parker, but on no very good authority, and Joseph Parker has been suggested as founder of the church on no authority at all. William Parker is known to have been pastor at Meherrin as early as 1773, but how long before that year is unknown. It is possible that Joseph Parker preached a few times at Meherrin during the course of his life, though it is unlikely that actual evidence for the claim will ever appear. The church at Meherrin remained steadfast to General Baptist principles through the life of William Parker, who died in 1794. The church was reported in 1790 as having one hundred members. After William Parker's funeral, Lemuel Burkitt, pastor of the Calvinist Baptist church at Kehukee, examined the congregation, pronounced "a small number" to be among the elect of God, and organized those few into a Calvinist Baptist church in 1794. As usual in such cases, the larger General Baptist congregation at Meherrin withered away without pastoral care.

The tradition that Parker journeyed from his church at Little Creek to preach to the church at Pungo from time to time is probably more soundly grounded. The sites of yearly meetings usually moved from church to church, and it is reasonable to suppose that Parker would have attended, and preached at, the yearly meetings held in Beaufort and Hyde counties. It is unlikely, however, that the eastern churches formed part of his ministry.

It is clear that he preached a general invitation to salvation south of Contentnea Creek in the area of present northern Lenoir County during the same period he visited the Conetoe settlements. It is assumed that Parker gathered his congregations at Wheat Swamp and Luzon Swamp, northwest and north of Kinston, prior to the American Revolution, but the total absence of surviving county records and church records alike places this assumption of date beyond either confirmation or denial. His three congregations at Gum Swamp, Wheat Swamp, and Luzon Swamp apparently existed for the duration of Parker's life as branches of Little Creek, as the church on Little Contentnea Creek was called. Since both Morgan Edwards (1772–73) and John Asplund (1790) were unable to gather information on absolutely every Baptist church in North Carolina, the fact that both of them report Parker's only church as "Contantony" or "Quotankney" may or may not suggest that Parker's church was one with three branches within a radius of ten miles. The life Parker lived, passing in turn week after week from one congregation to another, must have paralleled almost precisely the life of the circa 1810 "monthly pastor" with four substantial churches described by David Benedict in the fourth chapter of his Fifty Years among the Baptists. Though Parker had a grant of land on Little Contentnea Creek and is known to have purchased and sold various tracts there, he is said to have spent his last years in straightened circumstances domiciled at Wheat Swamp, rather than at Little Contentnea Creek. One assumes this move from southern Greene to northern Lenoir County to have taken place towards the end of the Revolutionary War, for by 1785 the Calvinist Baptists from Toisnot had penetrated Greene County and had gathered a church (named Meadow) on the headwaters of Little Contentnea Creek in the extreme northern end of the county. In the spring of 1791 they gathered a second church named Little Contentnea. One takes it, then, that Parker's influence here had waned or that he had departed for Lenoir County by 1785.

Parker is said to have been a broad-faced, square-built man of about five feet, eight inches tall with an animated style of preaching. He had married by 1749, but of his wife, Lucia, her forename alone is known (and that, from a 1749 deed). They are not known to have had any children. Both Joseph Parker and his wife appear to have been living in 1790 when the Dobbs County census was taken. He died in the next year or two and was buried without memorial stone in Robert Witherington's burial ground at Wheat Swamp. Parker's successor, both to his churches and to his spirit, was Elder James Roach.

The Free Will Baptists in North Carolina (as the General Baptists came to be called early in the following century) very nearly owe their continued life to Parker, and through them the Disciples of Christ are indebted to him. In his life Parker merged the General Baptist tradition received in the inner coastal plain from Virginia and the tradition received in the outer coastal plain from Paul Palmer. It is probable that had Parker not, in his long ministry of nearly fifty years, remained faithful to the doctrine he had inherited form the seventeenth century, those teachings would not have survived, as they have, in churches throughout the southern and southwestern states to the end of the twentieth century.

Morgan Edwards, "Materials Toward a History of the Baptists of North Carolina" (Furman MSS) and "Tour . . . to the Baptists of North Carolina, 1772–1773" (Crozer MSS) (Microfilm, North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill).

Thad F. Harrison and J. M. Barfield, History of the Free Will Baptists of North Carolina (1898).

Margaret M. Hofmann, Province of North Carolina, 1663–1729, Abstracts of Land Patents (1979), Colony of North Carolina, 1735–1775, Abstracts of Land Patents, 2 vols. (1982), and Abstracts of Deeds, Edgecombe Precinct, Edgecombe County, North Carolina (1969).

Manuscript land records in the Land Grant Office, Secretary of State, Raleigh.

and, in the North Carolina State Archives, Dobbs County Index to Deeds, 1746–1880, and Craven County Deeds, vol. 1, 1745–72, folio 73.


Ver el vídeo: The family I lost in North Korea. And the family I gained. Joseph Kim (Junio 2022).