Noticias

Historia de Alabama - Historia

Historia de Alabama - Historia

Antona

(ScStr: t. 549, dr. 13 '; s. 8 k .; cpl. 56; a. 2 32 pdrs., 1 20 pdr.
P.r., 2 24 pdr. sb.)

En la mañana del 6 de enero de 1863, el vapor sinfín de la Unión Pocahontas avistó un barco en el Golfo de México, navegando hacia el oeste cerca de la costa de Alabama y se dirigió hacia la entrada de la bahía de Mobile. Poco después de que el bloqueador se girara para interceptar a la desconocida para que no alcanzara la protección de los cañones del sur en Fort Morgan, a unas nueve millas de distancia, el vapor no identificado alteró su propio rumbo en un esfuerzo por escapar. Ambos barcos llevaron sus motores al límite y rompieron todas las velas posibles. Pocahontas se acercó lentamente a su presa, pero el sol estaba cerca del horizonte antes de que ella estuviera lo suficientemente cerca como para dispararle al barco que huía. El proyectil no alcanzó su meta, que luego enarboló los colores ingleses mientras continuaba su vuelo Aproximadamente una hora antes de la medianoche, el barco de la Unión se había acercado a media milla y disparó dos proyectiles más en rápida sucesión que rápidamente llevaron al buque a aproximadamente a la medianoche. 30 millas al sur sureste de Cape an Blas, Florida. Resultó ser Antona, un barco de vapor británico de casco de hierro construido recientemente en Glasgow, Escocia. Había salido de Liverpool y procedió a través de St. Thomas, Islas Vírgenes, a La Habana, Cuba. Allí, tomó un cargamento de contrabando de armas pequeñas de pólvora, té y brandy antes de navegar hacia Mobile el día de Año Nuevo de 1863.

Después de acompañar a Pocahontas de regreso a la flota de bloqueo frente a Mobile, Antona, tripulada por una tripulación de premio, navegó hacia Filadelfia para su adjudicación. Sin embargo, mientras aún estaba en el golfo, se abrió una fuga que la obligó a retroceder. Mientras se sometía a reparaciones en Nueva Orleans, fue embestida por barcos que pasaban en dos ocasiones distintas. Estas colisiones empeoraron su condición que ya tenía goteras, causaron otros daños significativos y requirieron reparaciones extensivas antes de que pudiera volver a hacerse a la mar.

Terminada esta obra, Antona fue puesta en comisión el 19 de marzo de 1863, pero el litigio en su contra por violación del bloqueo no concluyó hasta un año más. Luego, habiendo sido condenada, en rebeldía, por el tribunal de presas de Nueva York, finalmente fue comprada por la Marina el 28 de marzo de 1864.

Tras la puesta en servicio, el vapor comenzó a operar en el bajo Mississippi como un buque de distribución, trabajando principalmente entre Nueva Orleans y Port Hudson, Luisiana. Este deber era extremadamente importante en este momento porque el contralmirante Farragut en Hartford se había precipitado río arriba más allá de las baterías confederadas en Port Hudson y patrullaba el río entre ese bastión del sur y Vicksbur para apoyar al contralmirante Porter.

operaciones conjuntas con las tropas del general de división Grant en el primer esfuerzo para abrir todo el Mississippi a la navegación de la Unión La rendición de Vicksburg el Día de la Independencia de 1863 y la ocupación
La misión de Port Hudson cinco días después completó esta tarea y liberó a Antona para otro deber.

A última hora de la noche del 13 de julio, Antona, comandada por el maestro interino Charles T. Chase, partió de Nueva Orleans y se dirigió río abajo. Sin embargo, poco antes de las 4 de la mañana siguiente, chocó con Sciota, hundiendo esa cañonera de tornillo en 12 pies de agua a unas ocho millas río arriba de Quarantine. Como Antona estaba ilesa, pudo reanudar su viaje el día 15 y, al volver a entrar en el golfo, procedió en una dirección generalmente suroeste. El día 16, capturó a Cecelia D. y envió esa goleta inglesa a Nueva Orleans con una tripulación de premio. A su llegada a Galveston, Texas, el día 18, Chase informó al comodoro Henry H. Bell, quien comandaba las fuerzas de bloqueo de la Unión en la región. Dos días después, Bell ordenó a Antona que patrullara la costa entre Velasco, Texas, y la desembocadura del Río Grande. El vapor llegó a este último en la mañana del día 24, y Chase bajó inmediatamente a tierra para enviar despachos para el cónsul de los Estados Unidos en Matamoras, México. Mientras el oficial de la Unión regresaba a su barco en el barco mexicano Margarita, un grupo de hombres armados en la costa de Texas amenazó con abrir fuego contra ese barco si no se dirigía a la orilla. Cuando Margarita llegó a suelo de Texas, los hombres, que resultaron ser soldados del sur, arrestaron a Chase y lo enviaron a Brownsville. En calidad de maestro en funciones Spiro V. Bennis, el oficial ejecutivo de Antona se enteró de la desgracia de Chase por un barco inglés que pasaba y permaneció en las inmediaciones hasta que verificó el informe. Antona luego se dirigió hacia la costa y llegó frente a Galveston el 27 de julio.

El vapor permaneció en esa vecindad hasta que el 4 de agosto se puso en marcha nuevamente y se dirigió de regreso a la costa. El día 6, Antona, entonces bajo el mando del maestro interino Lyman Wells, capturó a Betsy a unas 16 millas al sureste de Corpus Christi, con los colores ingleses y supuestamente de Matamoras a Nueva Orleans con un cargamento general. Wells envió esa goleta a Nueva Orleans con una tripulación de premio para su adjudicación. Antona llegó por la desembocadura del Río Grande el día 8 y volvió a embarcar a Chase, que había sido liberado por el general de brigada Hamilton P. Bee, CSA, que comandaba las tropas confederadas en Texas, debido a que había sido capturado en aguas neutrales. Navegó hacia Galveston dos días después y llegó a la estación de bloqueo frente a ese puerto el día 12 sufriendo daños en sus calderas, maquinaria y hélice. Remolcada a Nueva Orleans por las Bermudas, permaneció allí en reparación hasta que se dirigió río abajo el 16 de noviembre para regresar a la costa de Texas. El día 29, su nuevo oficial al mando, el maestro interino Alfred L. B. Zerega informó haber capturado a Mani Ann tres días antes. Esa goleta sureña de Sabine, Texas, había salido de Caleasieu Pass el día 21 y se dirigía a Tampico, México, con un cargamento de algodón. Dado que el premio tenía muchas filtraciones, Zerega transfirió su algodón a las Bermudas para entregarlo a los comisionados de premios federales en Nueva Orleans y luego destruyó la goleta antes de reanudar el viaje de Antona hacia el sur.

Antona volvió a anotar en la víspera de Navidad de 1863 cuando tomó la goleta británica Exchange 10 millas al este de Velasco, Texas. Este barco había salido de Veracruz, México, con una carga general muy variada que incluía una gran cantidad de licor y supuestamente se dirigía a Nueva Orleans. Como estaba muy lejos de su rumbo hacia ese puerto, Zerega se apoderó de la goleta, le sacó el licor ya que él '. no consideró seguro permitirle ir en la goleta a Nueva Orleans. "Después de prometer enviarlo para adjudicación. Para el 11 ... la primera oportunidad segura. Zerega envió el premio a Nueva Orleans y reanudó la patrulla de Antona.

Las operaciones del vapor durante el resto de la Guerra Civil fueron similares a sus servicios anteriores. Su última acción notable ocurrió antes del amanecer del 10 de febrero de 1865 cuando un barco del vapor se unió a una expedición dirigida por el teniente Charles E. McKay de Princess Royal para destruir el gran vapor con casco de hierro Will O 'The Wisp que había encallado en Galveston. . Después del final de la guerra, Antona partió de Pensacola el 27 de julio de 1865 y se dirigió al norte. Fue dada de baja en Nueva York el 12 de agosto de 1865 y vendida en una subasta allí a G. W. Quintard el 30 de noviembre de 1865. Carlotta redocumentada el 5 de enero de 1867, el vapor sirvió como mercante operando desde Nueva York hasta que fue destruido por un incendio en 1874.


Historia de Montgomery, Alabama

Montgomery, Alabama, se incorporó en 1819, como una fusión de dos ciudades situadas a lo largo del río Alabama. Se convirtió en la capital del estado en 1846. En febrero de 1861, Montgomery fue seleccionada como la primera capital de los Estados Confederados de América, hasta que la sede del gobierno se trasladó a Richmond, Virginia, en mayo de ese año. [1] Durante mediados del siglo XX, Montgomery fue un sitio principal en el Movimiento de Derechos Civiles, incluido el boicot de autobuses de Montgomery y las marchas de Selma a Montgomery. [1]


Guerrero

Tren del carbón Una vez que fue el hogar de una ciudad indígena Creek, el área en la que ahora se encuentra Warrior se abrió para el asentamiento después de la derrota de Creek en la Guerra de Creek de 1813-14. La primera escuela se construyó en el área incluso antes de que Alabama alcanzara la condición de estado.
  • Servicios educativos y asistencia sanitaria y social (16,9 por ciento)
  • Comercio minorista (14,5 por ciento)
  • Finanzas y seguros, y bienes raíces y alquiler y arrendamiento (14,0 por ciento)
  • Servicios de arte, entretenimiento y recreación, y alojamiento y comida (10,5 por ciento)
  • Fabricación (10,3 por ciento)
  • Transporte y almacenamiento y servicios públicos (8,2 por ciento)
  • Servicios profesionales, científicos y de gestión, administrativos y de gestión de residuos (8,0 por ciento)
  • Comercio al por mayor (7,0 por ciento)
  • Construcción (3.4 por ciento)
  • Otros servicios, excepto administración pública (3,4 por ciento)
  • Información (2,7 por ciento)
  • Administración pública (1,1 por ciento)

Warrior cuenta con varios parques y un complejo de béisbol que también incluye un área de juegos para niños y pabellones. El Warrior Community Center está ubicado en el centro de la ciudad. El Parque Estatal Rickwood Caverns se encuentra a unas pocas millas al norte de la ciudad.

Comité del Libro del Patrimonio del Condado de Jefferson. La herencia del condado de Jefferson. Clanton, Ala .: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2002.


Alabama digital .com

Extraído de: HISTORIA DEL CONDADO DE CLARKE POR JOHN SIMPSON GRAHAM Prensa de BIRMINGHAM PRINTING COMPANY Birmingham, Ala. 1923

En el año 1800, la gente blanca comenzó a establecerse en este condado, y para 1813 había un buen número de colonos a lo largo del lado oeste del condado. En 1813 los indios se volvieron muy problemáticos y los blancos se alarmaron e iniciaron la construcción de fuertes en varios puntos de la provincia. Según la historia de Ball & # 8217 del condado de Clarke, se ubicaron de la siguiente manera:

Fort Madison estaba situado en la esquina noreste de la Sección 1 en Township 6, Range 3 East, cuatro millas y media al sur y aproximadamente una milla y media al oeste de la aldea de Suggsville en la cresta divisoria. Cubrió alrededor de un acre de tierra. Se cavó una zanja alrededor de los límites exteriores de tres pies de profundidad y en ella se insertaron los cuerpos de pinos cortados uno al lado del otro de unos 15 pies de largo. Por lo tanto, un muro continuo de pinos de unos 12 pies de altura rodeaba el recinto. Dentro estaban las tiendas y cabañas de los colonos vecinos. El coronel Carson y la compañía # 8217 ocuparon Fort Glass.

Fort Singuefield se construyó de la misma manera, pero era más pequeño que Fort Madison. Estaba ubicado en la Sección 13, Township 8, Range 3 East.

Fort White estaba a poca distancia al noreste de Grove Hill.

Carney & # 8217s Fort estaba en el Tombigbee en Gullet & # 8217s Bluff, unas millas por debajo de Jackson.

McGrew Fort estaba casi al norte de Old St. Stephens en la esquina de la Sección 1, Township 7, Range 1 West.

Landrum & # 8217s Fort estaba en la Sección 18, Township 8, Range 2 East, ahora en Good Springs & # 8217 Beat.

Mott & # 8217s Fort estaba en el mismo vecindario.

Turner & # 8217s Fort estaba cerca de la residencia de Abner Turner.

Easley & # 8217s Fort estaba en el río Tombigbee en la Sección 11, Township 11, Range 1 West.

Powell & # 8217s Fort estaba cerca de Oven Bluff.

Fort Glass estaba al sur de Suggsville.

Lavier & # 8217s Fort puede haber estado al sur de Suggsville.

Estos fuertes quizás fueron construidos en el año de 1913 [sic, probablemente 1813] en el mismo año en que ocurrieron las batallas de Burnt Corn, Fort Mims, Fort Sinquefield, Bashi Skirmish y Canoe Fight.

Las batallas de Burnt Corn y Fort Mims no ocurrieron en el condado de Clarke, pero están tan estrechamente relacionadas con el condado, y los condados de Clarke están en ambas batallas que consideramos apropiado mencionarlas.

Una descripción completa de todas estas batallas se encuentra en Pickett & # 8217s History y se reproduce a continuación. Todas estas batallas ocurrieron en 1813, julio, agosto, septiembre, octubre y noviembre, respectivamente.


Historia de Alabama - Historia

Senderos genealógicos del condado de Crenshaw, Alabama

[Nota del transcriptor: algunos De Verdad Se han corregido errores tipográficos obvios encontrados en el original; de lo contrario, se mantuvieron todas las demás ortografías]


Capítulo I
Historia de la formación del condado de Crenshaw

El condado de Crenshaw, ubicado en el centro sur de Alabama en esa sección del estado conocida como el cinturón de la madera, es un condado relativamente nuevo. Se le ha denominado un & quot; Condado de Reconstrucción & quot; ya que fue creado por un acto legislativo el 24 de noviembre de 1866.
Fue a través de los esfuerzos de William H. Chapman, un representante a la legislatura estatal del condado de Covington en 1866-7, que la ley que permitió que partes de los condados de Butler, Pike, Coffee, Lowndes y Covington fueran tomadas y utilizadas en la se aprobó la formación del condado de Crenshaw. Chapman introdujo la medida para la creación del condado y la apoyó vigorosamente en la legislatura estatal hasta que fue aprobada.

El propio Chapman se mudó a Crenshaw poco después de que se convirtiera en condado y estudió medicina en Rutledge. Después de recibir su licencia médica, se mudó a León en la parte sur del condado, donde ejerció la medicina durante varios años antes de mudarse al condado de Coffee, cerca de Elba, donde murió.

El acto de establecimiento del condado, nombró a Felix Jordan, George W. Thaggard, Thomas Mahone, J. D. Chapman y Adam Benhow como comisionados para celebrar una elección para los funcionarios del condado y la sede del condado el primer lunes de marzo de 1867.

Se votaron dos lugares, Barber & # 39s Cross Roads y Fuller & # 39s Cross Roads para decidir cuál se seleccionaría como el sitio de la sede del condado. Barber & # 39s Cross Roads recibió el mayor número de votos y, por lo tanto, fue declarada sede del condado. El nombre de la aldea fue cambiado a Rutledge, en honor al Capitán Henry Rutledge, oficial al mando de la Compañía C, 59 ° Infantería de Alabama, quien dio su vida por la confederación en Drewry & # 39s Bluff.

Los primeros funcionarios del condado en ser elegidos fueron George W. Thaggard, el juez testamentario John R. Snow, el alguacil Francis Cody, el secretario de circuito W. T. Massey, el asesor fiscal James M. Lawerence, recaudador de impuestos.

AN Northey fue el primer senador en representar al condado en la legislatura estatal en 1868. Fue seguido el mismo año por William Mastin, el primer senador por el que votó la gente del condado desde que se convirtió en ciudadano de un nuevo condado, que representó al condado hasta 1870. En este año WP Calloway fue elegido senador y en 1871 se convirtió en el primer ciudadano del condado en ser elegido a la legislatura estatal como representante, sirviendo un término de dos años en 1871-2.

Crenshaw, después de convertirse en condado en 1866, participó en su primera convención constitucional estatal en 1867. Envió como su representante al capaz James H. Howard.

El 11 de mayo de 1893, después de una elección popular en la que se aprobó el cambio, la sede del condado de Crenshaw se trasladó de Rutledge a la nueva y emprendedora ciudad de Luverne.

Luverne, que más tarde se convertiría en la ciudad principal del condado, se encuentra en la parte central del condado, en el río Patsaliga, cerca del sitio de una antigua aldea india. La tierra donde se construyó la ciudad fue en un momento parte de la plantación Cody. Luverne recibió su nombre de la esposa de M. P. LeGrand de Montgomery, quien había comprado un terreno en el condado para un ferrocarril. En 1888, la Luverne Land Company fue organizada por S. D. Hubbard, M.P. LeGrand, y George A, Folmar, J. O. Sentell inspeccionaron la tierra e hicieron un diagrama que traza las calles de la ciudad. Después de esto, en 1889, la ciudad se incorporó bajo las leyes de Alabama. Se celebró una elección el mismo año en que J. O. Sentell fue elegido primer alcalde de la ciudad. Los concejales elegidos fueron el Dr. J. R. Horn, G. W. Pope, G. A. Folmar y G. F. Kirkpatrick. El secretario de la ciudad era R. P. Fundaburk, y el Marshall era G. W. Turner.

El condado de Crenshaw recibió su nombre del honorable juez Anderson Crenshaw del condado de Butler. El juez Crenshaw nació en Carolina del Sur en 1776, pasó sus primeros años allí y asistió al South Carolina College, donde fue el primer estudiante en graduarse. Cuando todavía era un joven, el juez Crenshaw llegó a la antigua capital del estado de Alabama, Cahaba. Permaneció allí durante varios años, tiempo en el que pasó doce años como miembro de la Corte Suprema de Alabama. Dejando Cahaba, el juez Crenshaw se instaló en el condado de Butler, donde se hizo famoso por sus justas interpretaciones de la ley. Siempre un individuo justo y respetado, el juez Crenshaw fue honrado en 1866 por las personas que lo recordaron y le pusieron el nombre del condado de Crenshaw.

Capitulo 2
Historia temprana y primeros pobladores del condado

La historia temprana del condado de Crenshaw se remonta a antes de 1814, cuando ese territorio que ahora forma el condado formaba parte de la Confederación India Creek. Esta tierra fue utilizada mayoritariamente por los indígenas como coto de caza donde encontraban abundancia de caza silvestre, especialmente ciervos y pavos. También abundaban los peces en los numerosos arroyos.

Se han encontrado muchos restos indios en el condado, especialmente a lo largo de las orillas de sus arroyos. Se han encontrado campamentos en varios lugares, pero los únicos restos de un sitio de aldea permanente que se encuentra en el condado se encontraron en el HN McLeod plantación a unas dos millas al noroeste de la actual ciudad de Glenwood.

Después de la derrota de los indios Creek a manos del general Andrew Jackson, el territorio que incluía el condado de Crenshaw fue cedido a los Estados Unidos por la Confederación de indios Creek en un tratado firmado en Fort Toulouse el 9 de agosto de 1814. Después de esto, la tierra se convirtió en un parte del Territorio de Mississippi y permaneció en esta capacidad hasta 1817, momento en el que Alabama fue designado territorio. Después de que Alabama alcanzó la condición de estado en 1819, el territorio que ahora forma el condado de Crenshaw se dividió entre varios de los condados circundantes hasta que se aprobó el acto legislativo que creó el condado en 1866.

De importancia histórica para el condado es el Old Three Notch Trail, una carretera militar que iba a ser utilizada por las tropas del general Jackson. Este camino atravesaba la parte inferior del condado cerca del actual sitio de Dozier. También en la parte norte del condado, pasando cerca de Honoraville, estaba The Merriweather Trail, que se cree que era una carretera que iba de Greenville a Georgia y que fue utilizada por las tropas militares y los primeros colonos.
En el condado de Crenshaw se encuentra una de las poblaciones más puras de descendientes de ingleses, irlandeses y escoceses que se pueden encontrar en cualquier parte de los Estados Unidos. Las personas que se establecieron en el condado eran descendientes directos de los colonos de las trece colonias originales. La mayoría de ellos procedían de Carolina del Sur y Georgia y se establecieron primero en otras secciones del estado y luego se trasladaron al condado de Crenshaw.

El resto de este capítulo se dedicará a una discusión y a bosquejos biográficos de las primeras familias que se asentaron en el condado de Crenshaw. Como se señalará, muchos de ellos llegaron cuando la tierra aún era un desierto habitado por hombres rojos y fieras.
.
Probablemente el primer hombre en establecerse en el condado fue Francis Daniel, quien con su esposa llegó a Crenshaw desde su antigua casa en el condado de Montgomery poco después de 1820. El Sr. Daniel y su esposa se establecieron cerca del sitio actual de Honoraville, donde mejoró una granja y se dedicó a su ocupación como plantador. En el momento de su asentamiento, esta parte del condado no era más que un desierto lleno de indios y animales salvajes. El Sr. Daniel, sin embargo, era amigable con los indios y encontró que comerciar con ellos era muy rentable para él y su esposa, quienes estaban a millas de distancia de cualquiera de su propia gente.

John Cody, que se instaló en otra parte del condado poco después de que Francis Daniel se instalara cerca de Honoraville, fue el primero en establecerse cerca de la ubicación actual de la sede del condado. Luverne. El Sr. Cody fue, de hecho, uno de los primeros pobladores del estado. Llegó al condado de Pike en una fecha muy temprana, y alrededor de 1825 él y su esposa se mudaron al condado de Crenshaw, donde había limpiado una granja y les había hecho un hogar. Su hijo, Francis Cody, quien más tarde se convirtió en el primer secretario de circuito del condado, nació aquí en 1829.

Poco después de que John Cody se estableciera cerca de Luverne, Richard Whitehead Horn se instaló en lo que más tarde se conocería como New Providence, que se encuentra cerca de Glenwood. El Sr. Horn y su esposa llegaron aquí en 1826 cuando los vecinos más cercanos estaban a millas de distancia, él y su esposa recién casada estaban rodeados de bestias salvajes y salvajes, pero aquí en el bosque el Sr. Horn se puso a trabajar para construirles una casa, y para rodearlo de las comodidades de la vida. La pesca y la caza eran abundantes y casi en cualquier momento se podía obtener un suministro de los indios a cambio de algunas mazorcas de maíz. El comercio con los indios se volvió muy importante para los Horns, y muchas veces cuando el Sr. Horn estaba trabajando, su esposa se sobresaltaba al encontrar a un salvaje en la casa, con la cara pintada y armada, peleando en su idioma nativo. Sobre su hombro tendría un pavo salvaje o una cuerda de pescado. Al levantar el número de dedos, le indicaba cuántas mazorcas de maíz quería a cambio de su premio. Aquí, en su finca cerca del río Conecuh, los Cuernos permanecieron hasta su muerte en edades muy avanzadas.

Otro pionero del condado que se estableció en la parte occidental del condado cerca de la línea del condado de Butler fue Joseph Ellington. El señor Ellington se instaló en esta región cuando los únicos habitantes restantes eran indios, osos negros, lobos y animales salvajes. Mejoró una granja aquí y se dedicó a su principal ocupación como plantador. El señor Ellington también comerciaba bastante con los indios de su vecindad.

Después del asentamiento de Joseph Ellington en la parte occidental del condado, John Bradley se instaló cerca del sitio actual de la oficina de correos de Bradyleton en 1828. Aquí mejoró una granja y se dedicó a la siembra. John Bradley y sus descendientes jugaron un papel muy importante en el desarrollo de esta sección del condado.

También llegó al área de Bradleyton y Helicon en 1828 Leon Thrower, quien mejoró una granja contigua a la granja Bradley. El Sr. Thrower es el padre del Dr. Stephen S. Thrower, quien nació y se crió en la granja de su padre, y luego se convirtió en uno de los hombres más conocidos de la profesión médica en el condado de Crenshaw.

Después del asentamiento de Bradyleton vino el asentamiento de la comunidad de León por los Merrills. En el invierno de 1829-30, Jacob Merrill limpió y mejoró una granja cerca de esta comunidad. Aproximadamente al mismo tiempo, su hermano, William Merrill, llegó a la comunidad, y aquí, en el desierto cerca del río Patsaliga, los hermanos mejoraron vastas tierras de cultivo. Los indios eran numerosos en su área en el momento de su asentamiento y los hermanos, al ser amigos de ellos, se dedicaron al comercio indio como una actividad secundaria a sus ocupaciones como plantadores.

Después de estos primeros asentamientos en el condado durante la década de 1820-30, los colonos continuaron llegando a las áreas hasta que en 1870 la población del condado era de 8950 blancos y 2206 negros, lo que da una población total de más de 11,000.

Algunas de las otras familias que llegaron al condado en fechas tempranas después de 1830 fueron Finley, Hawkins, Rhoutons, Baxters, Moodys, Brunsons, Benbows, Fonvilles, Knights, Walkers, Moxleys, Morgan, Pendreys, Lowmans y Rutledges.

A todas las familias que he mencionado y a las otras que estoy seguro de que no he descubierto, se les atribuye el mérito de ser pioneros y desarrollar lo que ahora es el condado de Crenshaw.

CAPÍTULO 3
La esclavitud y la guerra civil

La esclavitud en el condado de Crenshaw no floreció como lo hizo en los condados de cinturón negro y otras secciones del estado. Había algunos esclavos y propietarios de esclavos en el condado, especialmente en la parte central y norte del condado, pero en la parte sur se encontraron muy pocos esclavos. El mayor número de esclavos se encontró en esa sección del condado conocida en ese momento como el distrito de Rocky Mount del condado de Lowndes.

El mayor número de esclavos propiedad de una familia en el condado en 1850 fue de treinta y cinco propiedad de una familia Webb en la sección extrema norte del condado. Una familia Tanner también de esta sección del condado en 1850 poseía veintiún esclavos, y la familia Saulter cerca de Luverne poseía veinte esclavos durante este mismo año.

Otras familias propietarias de esclavos del condado eran los Perdues, Rhoutons, Summerlands, Jordans, Stringers, Codys, Daniels y Ellington.

Lance Kendrick, un esclavo de una familia Kendrick, todavía vive y actualmente reside cerca de Brantley. Se cree que Lance, quien adoptó el nombre de señor de su dueño de esclavos, tiene alrededor de 115 años y todavía puede dar algunos relatos vívidos de sus días como esclavo.
Como había tan pocos propietarios de esclavos en el condado, muchos de sus residentes estaban en contra de la secesión, pero cuando su estado se separó de la unión, le fueron leales y apoyaron la causa de la Confederación. (* Lance Kendrick murió después de que se escribió este artículo).

Con el llamado a voluntarios del presidente Jefferson Davis de los Estados Confederados de América, los hombres del condado de Crenshaw respondieron en números. Casi todos los apellidos del condado estaban representados en el ejército confederado.

Los siguientes párrafos están compuestos de bocetos biográficos de soldados del condado de Crenshaw que sirvieron valientemente en el ejército de la Confederación, muchos de ellos dando sus vidas por una causa que pensaban que era justa.

JOHN D. B (?) AILY sirvió en la Compañía B del 14 ° de Infantería de Alabama en Virginia bajo el mando de Lee. Fue herido dos veces una vez en Fredericksburg y otra vez en Gettysburg. Estaba con Lee en Appomattox cuando se rindió a Grant.

BENJAMIN R. BRICKEN tuvo su primera experiencia en la guerra cuando era un niño que trabajaba en una compañía organizada en Virginia para encontrarse con los asaltantes de Dahlgren. Siendo demasiado joven para alistarse en el ejército regular, el joven Ben se escapó de su casa y se alistó sin el consentimiento de su padre en la 46.a Infantería de Alabama bajo el mando del general Pettus. Luchó en Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, en todo el estado de Georgia, y estuvo en las trincheras de Atlanta. Después de Atlanta estuvo con el general Hood en el norte de Alabama y Georgia. Fue dado de alta justo antes del final de la guerra cuando su padre descubrió su paradero y pidió que lo enviaran a casa.

DR. WILLIAM T. BURGAMY se unió a la Compañía B de la 13.ª Infantería de Alabama y sirvió unos ocho meses en el ejército de Virginia. Más tarde se desempeñó como teniente en la Legión de Hilliard por un corto tiempo y fue dado de alta por problemas de salud. En 1864, volvió a ingresar al ejército y sirvió en el norte de Alabama hasta el final de la guerra.

FRANCIS CODY Se unió a la Legión de Hilliard en mayo de 1862 y estaba en el Kentucky Raid cuando perdió la salud y fue dado de alta en 1863 en Knoxville. Permaneció en casa unos meses y luego se volvió a alistar en Loves Calvary, pero fue nuevamente dado de alta por mala salud. Después de esto, volvió a intentar alistarse en la 17ª Infantería de Alabama, pero fue rechazado debido a su salud. Francis Cody tenía cuatro hermanos para servir en la primera guerra, George W. de la Compañía C, 59 ° Infantería de Alabama, murió en Knoxville unos meses después de que entró en servicio; otro, Martin McComb sirvió en el Comando de Carolina del Sur mientras que Colón Jefferson sirvió como teniente en el 17 ° de Infantería de Alabama y Jackson Van Buren sirvieron en la misma unidad desde mayo de 1861 hasta el final de la guerra en 1865. Un cuñado de Francis Cody, William P. Harbin, prestó servicio en el 59 ° de Infantería de Alabama para muchos meses durante la guerra.

THOMAS F. DANIEL sirvió en las tropas estatales durante la Guerra Civil y operó en las áreas de Pensacola y la Costa del Golfo. Tenía dos hermanos, Elisha J., que estuvo en servicio durante la guerra, y Moses F., que murió en la batalla de Drewry & # 39s Bluff.

RESCATE L. DAVIS sirvió en la Compañía A, 17 de Infantería de Alabama como soldado raso. Comenzó a operar en el área de Pensacola, pero luego se mudó a Tennessee, donde participó en la Batalla de Shiloh. Fue capturado en Shiloh, pero luego fue liberado a través de un intercambio de prisioneros de guerra y se reincorporó a su comando, que entonces estaba en el área de Mobile. Más tarde luchó en los ejércitos de Johnston y Hood en Georgia y estuvo en la batalla en Atlanta. Dejando Atlanta luchó con el General Hood en Tennessee y fue capturado nuevamente en Nashville. Permaneció prisionero de guerra hasta después del final de la guerra. Ransom tenía dos hermanos para servir en el Ejército Confederado. Uno, Thomas, dio su vida en el camino, y el otro, James luchó en numerosos enfrentamientos con el ejército de Tennessee.

DR. EDWARD P. DYER estaba en la Compañía E, 56 ° Infantería de Alabama, pero fue arrojado de su caballo al principio de la guerra y recibió heridas que resultaron en una baja del servicio.

J. M. ELLINGTON sirvió en la Compañía K, 17 de Infantería de Alabama durante dos años en Mobile. Más tarde fue trasladado a Tennessee y luchó bajo Johnston y Hood a Atlanta.

JOHN C. FONVILLE sirvió al comienzo de la guerra como primer sargento de la Compañía B, 14 ° Infantería de Alabama. Se alistó en esta unidad en 1861 en Auburn y fue dado de baja en octubre del mismo año. Más tarde se reincorporó y sirvió en la Brigada de Ferguson en Tennessee y Alabama del Norte. Estuvo en la batalla de Atlanta y luego con la escolta del calvario de los presidentes Davis, que se rindió junto con el presidente en Washington, Georgia. El hermano de John, Frederick Gibson, teniente y ayudante de su unidad, sirvió en la Compañía B de la 14a Infantería de Alabama y murió en una explosión en Petersburg. Otro hermano, el Dr. James B. estaba en el 17º de Infantería de Alabama y fue capturado en Atlanta. Permaneció prisionero de guerra hasta después del fin de la guerra en 1865.

NOAH J. GANEY sirvió en la Compañía E 56th Alabama Infantry Calvary. Luchó en numerosos enfrentamientos en Mississippi y estuvo involucrado en varias escaramuzas contra el ejército de Sherman en su avance de Vicksburg a Chattanooga. Estuvo al mando del general Joseph Wheeler en Georgia y las Carolinas y luchó en varias escaramuzas con esta unidad de calvario. Al final de la guerra, el Sr. Ganey estaba con la escolta de calvario del presidente Davis cuando llegó al sur de Richmond. Cuando el fondo de tesorería de la Confederación fue dividido por el presidente Davis en Georgia, recibió por sus servicios una pieza de oro de veinte dólares y cinco dólares de plata mexicanos.

JOHN W. HOLLOWAY sirvió en la Compañía E, 32a Infantería de Tennessee. Estaba al mando del general Bragg en Tennessee y resultó herido en la batalla de Chickamauga.

OLIVER W. HORN, residente vitalicio del condado de Crenshaw, se alistó en la Compañía E, 56 ° Regimiento de Infantería, C. S. A. 1861, y sirvió hasta la rendición de Lee. Fue uno de los ocho hermanos en servicio en el Ejército Confederado, todos hijos de Richard W. Horn de New Providence.

JETER DE MELVIN se alistó en la compañía de exploradores independientes de John C. Brannan en Alabama. Sirvió en esta categoría hasta 1864, cuando fue designado como un explorador especial que sirvió tanto bajo el mando del General Maury como del General Forest. Cuando terminó la guerra, el señor Jeter estaba a cargo de un vagón de tren que se entregó en Campbellton, Florida.

DR. J.E. KENDRICK no participó en ningún enfrentamiento con el enemigo durante la guerra. Fue cadete en la Universidad de Alabama durante dos años durante este período por nombramiento del gobernador Watts.

LAWRENCE S. KNIGHT Se alistó a la edad de quince años en la Compañía K, 17º. Infantería de Alabama. Luchó en la batalla de Shiloh y continuó luchando con el ejército de Johnston desde Resasa hasta Kenesaw Mountain, donde fue herido y perdió el brazo izquierdo, poniendo así fin a su carrera militar. Lawrence tenía dos hermanos para servir en el Ejército Confederado en la Legión de Hilliard. One, Charles P., who was wounded once and fought in several engagements during the war, and the other, Franklin, who was killed at Appomattox on the morning of Lee's surrender.

JOHN F. LOWMAN served in Company C, 37th Alabama Infantry with the rank of Sargeant. He was engaged in the battles at Corinth and Shiloh, the siege of Vicksburg, the battle at Lookout Mountain, and the Battle at Missionary Ridge, and the battle at Atlanta. At the Siege of Vicksburg Mr. Lowman was taken prisoner, but was later released in a prisoner of war exchange and, immediately rejoined his command. He was with General J. E. Johnston when he surrendered his army at Greensboro, North Carolina.

FREDRICK C. MCDONALD served in Company C, 29th Alabama Infantry in Tennessee and Georgia. He was taken prisoner at Nashville and remained in that capacity until after the close of the war in 1865.

THOMAS L. MERRILL served in Company C, 37th Alabama Infantry at the Siege of Vicksburg, and later at Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge. He was with Johnston and Hood in Georgia, and surrendered with Johnston in North Carolina. He had two brothers, Green B. and Henry, who served in the Confederate Army. Green B. served with the 37th Alabama Infantry throughout the war and Henry a lieutenant in Company C of the 37th Alabama Infantry died at Columbus, Mississippi, in 1862.

WILLIAM J. MERRILL served in Company F, 1st Alabama Calvary in South Carolina. He had a brother, James T., who served in the same unit and was once wounded and another brother, Jacob P., also once wounded, was a private soldier in the 37th Alabama Infantry.

DR. DANIEL N. MOXLEY served as a captain, and commanding officer of Company B, 25th Alabama Infantry. He fought in both the battle at Shiloh and at Corinth. Shortly after these battles he was discharged because of bad health.

JAMES P. PENDREY served in Company A, 6th Alabama Calvary. He fought with Hood in all his engagements in Tennessee, and was with General Forest when he surrendered at Meridan.

DR. THOMAS L. QUILLIAN served in Company I, 1st Alabama Calvary for a short time, and was then transferred to Company H, 59th I Alabama Infantry. He fought at Chicamauga, Knoxville, and later with General Longstreet's corps in Virginia. He was captured three days before Lee's surrender and later released. His brother, Dudey A. Rutledge was a sergeant in the 59th Alabama Infantry. He fought in the Battle of Chickamauga, Dewry's Bluff, and at Petersburg. Dudley was wounded at Dewrys Bluff and age in at Hatchet Run. At the close of the war he was confined to a hospital in Richmond.

GEORGE A. SANDERS served in Company I, 46 th Alabama Infantry fighting in Mississippi against Grant and Sherman and later with Hood in Tennessee. He became seriously ill while near the close of the war he returned to his home.

JOSEPH A. SIKES joined the Confederate Army at the age of sixteen. He was in several engagements in Tennessee and was later in Mobile area. His brother, Captain John H. Sikes, commanding officer of a company in a Florida regiment, was killed in Virginia in 1863.

DR. STEPHEN S. THOROWER, along with five brothers served in the army of the Confederacy during the Civil War. Dr. Thorower was a sergeant in the 14th Artillery of Hilliard's Legion. He was in the East Tennessee until after the Battle of Chickamauga, and then went to Virginia where he was wounded and taken prisoner of Petersburg on April 3, 1865. One brother James, served in the 14th Alabama Infantry and died at Richmond in 1862. Another brother, Benjamin F., one of the 1st brothers of Dr. Thorower were all killed at Shiloh. The other three, William M., who served in Hilliard's Legion, was captured at Richmond in 1864. Startling J., a sergeant in Hilliard's Legion, was captured at Hatcher's Run, and George W., who served in the 59th Alabama Infantry, was also captured at Hatchet's Run.

WILLIAM C. WALKER served in the 1st Alabama Artillery and a was captured at Fort Morgan where he died while still a prisoner of war. One brother, William H., served in the Army of Virginia while another, F.L., served in the State Troops at Pensacola for a short time.

JOHN C. WHITE was a sergeant in Company C, 46th Alabama Infantry. He was in numerous skirmishes in Tennessee and Mississippi and was captured at Vicksburg. He was released in a prisoner of war exchange, and later fought at Missionary, Ridge and numerous other engagements from Dalton to Atlanta. He was with General Johnston when he surrendered his army at Greensboro, North Carolina.

There were no major battles or small skirmishes fought in Crenshaw County during the Civil War although Union troops did pass through that portion of the county near the present site of Honoraville. However, they did not do any damage side from raiding pantries and smoke houses.

One incident of Federal troops passing through this part of the county was related by Mr. (sic) J.N. Pollard, grand-daughter of William Rhouton. It was told to her by her older relatives that Union soldiers passed through this particular area and visited the home of her grandfather, raiding his smokehouse and carrying off all of the cured meat except that portion which they were fortunate enough to hide before the arrival of the Federals.
Aside from this small filtration of the county by the Union soldiers there were no other incidents of them entering the county during the war. The residents of Crenshaw county were fortunate in not losing their property although many of their sons gave their lives for the Confederate States of America.

CAPÍTULO 4
EARLY TRANSPORTATION, EDUCATION, ECONOMY, AND COMMUNICATION

Transportation in Crenshaw County in those years prior to the formation of the county was restricted to foot horseback, horse and buggy, and mule and wagon. There were a few roads in the county which led to the nearest villages where necessities were to be obtained. All in all, however, transportation was very crude in the county until after the Civil War.

In the years prior to 1860 there had been two railroads surveyed through the county. One, the Mobile and Girard was not constructed, however, until several years after the Civil war, and construction of the other, the Vicksburg and Brunswick was never attempted.

It was not until 1887 that the first shipment by rail was made in the county. This shipment of forty bales of cotton was made by W. E. Bradley over the Alabama-Midland Railroad which was completed in 1888. This railroad came from Montgomery via Sprague Junction terminating at Luverne. Stations which were founded on this track in the county were Lapine, Bradleton, Petrey, and Patsburg. A short time after completion of the track to Luverne another track was laid connecting Rutledge with this railroad at Julian junction just north of Luverne. A few years later the Mobile and Girard Railroad was completed through the county. The stations of the county along this track are Glenwood, Brantley, Dozier, and Searight. Aside from these miles of track there have been no other railroads in the county.

As I have mentioned in a previous chapter the two earliest roads of any kind in the county were the Three Notch Trail and The Merriweather Trail, but after the creation of the county, and with the growth of villages and communities, railroads were cut in the county and many roads were cleared. Evolving from these early roads and railroads grew a useful if not commendable transportation network within the county.

The citizens of Crenshaw county have, since the earliest settlers, sensed the need for education. In the years following 1840 the typical one room school house was found in almost every settlement. Some of the elder schools in the county were founded at Leon, New Providence, Rutledge, Honoraville, Sal Soda, Cook's Stand, and Helican.

Probably the first secondary school in the county was the Helicon Academy founded around the middle of the nineteenth century. The high school at Searight following the Civil war was probably the first high school in the county to offer classes in grades one through twelve. This school was later moved to Dozier. Other early high schools were the Vernledge High School, the Rutledge High School, the Union Springs District High School at Luverne and the Luverne Free School.

During the latter half of the nineteenth(?) century the county boasted the only college ever to exist in the county. The school which became in its later years the Highland Home College was an outgrowth of the old Barns School founded at Strata in 1856. Because of the unhealthy climate the school was moved to Highland Home in l881 and reestablished under the name, Highland Home Institute. It had its first session on the first Monday of November 1881 with about 70 pupils enrolled . Prof. J.M. Barnes was the President, Prof. Samuel Jordan, Principal, and Col. M. L. Kirkpatrick was in charge of the Preparatory Department. The building was a 50 x 100 foot wood frame building and the campus consisted of 8 acres. Highland Home Institute was later chartered the Highland Home College in 1889 and remained so until it closed its doors in 1916 after providing the residents of Crenshaw County for many years a place for higher education.

The economy of the county prior to the later portion of the nineteenth century was almost wholly dependent on farming. All the early settlers of the county were planters and this remained their chief occupation although a few of them did attempt to do a merchantile business on the side. A few engaged in sawmilling, a few others in grist milling, and a very few in ginning, but not until after the civil war were any of these expanded to any degree.

Most of the merchandise bought by early inhabitants of the county was purchased from either Troy, Greenville, or Montgomery. It was not uncommon for people of a community to make trips often taking two to four days to one of these villages on a mule and wagon.

Among the first merchants in the county were William Merrill who engaged in merchandising for a number of years at Leon and James Johnson who was the first merchant at Rutledge.

Printing in the county did not come until those years between the close of the Civil War and the end of the nineteenth century. Five newspapers were published in the county in the decade 1890-1900. Of those were the Searight Beacon published at Searight, the Rutledge Wave and the Gleaner, edited and published by Mathew Tucker in Rutledge and the Luverne Enterprise and The People's Advocate also edited and published by Mathew Tucker in Luverne. There was a quarterly magazine published about this same time, but the name of the publication is not available.

Other newspapers published at one time or the other in the county were The Brantley Reporter, Crenshaw County News, Crenshaw County Critic, Crenshaw County Banner, The Luverne Democrat, The Bugle, and The Luverne Journal.

From these early beginnings in the different fields of economic factors Crenshaw County has continued to grow and progress in hopes of building a better future.

Source: Northern Alabama - Historical and Biographical by Smith & De Land, Birmingham, Ala 1888 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney

Population: White, 9,500 colored, 2,000. Area, 660 Square miles. Woodland, all. Long-leaf pine upland, 435 square miles oak and hickory uplands, 125 square miles hill, prairie and lime lands, 100 square miles.

Acres - In cotton (approximately), 27,000 in corn, 28,099 in oats, 5,208 in tobacco, 33 in rice, 25: in sugar-cane, 294 in sweet potatoes, 558.

Approximate number of bales of cotton, 8,500.

County Seat - Rutledge population, 300.

Newspaper published at County Seat - Enterprise, Democratic.

Postoffices in the County - Aiken, Argus, Best, Bradleyton, Bullock, Cook's Stand, Helicon, Honoraville. Host, Johnson, Leon, Live Oak, Mount Ida, New Providence, Norwood, Peacock, Rutridge, Sal-Soda, Saville, Vidette.

This county was formed in 1865, and named for Hon. Anderson Crenshaw. It lies in that section of the State toward which much attention is now being turned, because of its varied resources and growing industries. Debarred the enjoyment of railroad privileges, there has not been that spirit of enterprise and energy which is warranted by the varied resources of Crenshaw.

In this county, as in all others in this region, lands may be had at very moderate figures. Over-spread with forests of splendid timber, both of pine and oak, they are destined to be quite valuable, and yet may be bought in some sections for $1 per acre, in others for $2.50, and in others still, for $5.

There are 24,500 acres of land belonging to the general Government in Crenshaw.

Vast tracks of land may be purchased at nominal prices, and the people would welcome immigrants of thrifty habits.

WATER MILLS OF CRENSHAW COUNTY IN 1886

Source: Bulletin, Geological Survey of Alabama, by Truman H. Aldrich, 1886 - Transcribed by Veneta McKinney

The following is a list of the water powers that are utilized. The most of these powers are small, but they make a large aggregate, and they represent only an insignificant part of the power that is capable of development.


Cronología

The University of the State of Alabama

In 1818, the federal government authorized Alabama Territory to set aside a township for the establishment of a "seminary of learning." President Monroe signed the enabling act for statehood on March 2, 1819 and Alabama was officially admitted to the Union on Dec. 14, 1819, and a second township added to the grant. On December 18, 1820, the seminary was established officially and named "The University of the State of Alabama."

The University Finds a Home

Tuscaloosa, then the state's capital, chosen as the University's home.

UA Opens

Inaugural ceremonies for the University were held on April 12, 1831. The first students were enrolled on April 18, 1831. By May 28, 52 students had enrolled. The campus consisted of seven buildings: two faculty houses, two dormitories, the laboratory, the hotel (now Gorgas House), and the Rotunda.

Engineering at UA

The University of Alabama becomes the first in the state to offer engineering classes. It was one of the first five in the nation to do so and one of the few to have maintained accreditation continuously since national accreditation began in 1936.

President's Mansion

President's Mansion completed. Its first occupant: Basil Manly, University president from 1837 to 1855.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 63

Phi Beta Kappa

Alabama Alpha chapter of Phi Beta Kappa established.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 126

Medical College

Medical College branch of the University opened in Mobile.

UA Becomes Military School

The University of Alabama became a military school — martial departmental and disciplinary systems established.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 154

UA Burned by Union Troops

Union troops spared only seven of the buildings on the UA campus. Of the principal buildings remaining today, the President's Mansion and its outbuildings still serve as the president's on-campus residence. The other buildings have new uses. Gorgas House, at different times the dining hall, faculty residence, and campus hotel, now serves as a museum. The Roundhouse, then a sentry box for cadets, later a place for records storage, is a campus historical landmark. The Observatory, now Maxwell Hall, is home to the Computer-Based Honors Program.

Enrollment

The Medical College reopens in Mobile.

UA Reopens

During the Reconstruction era, a reorganized University opened to students.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 107

UA Law School

The School of Law established.

Civil Engineering

Antecedents of the UA College of Engineering were established with the offering of a formal, two-year course of study in civil engineering under the aegis of applied mathematics in 1837. The College of Engineering was established in 1909 with the opening of B. B. Comer Hall.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 154

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 167

First Football Team

The University's first football team assembled — the "Thin Red Line" that later became the "Crimson Tide."

First Female Students

The first women students enrolled for the fall semester at the University. This was due in large part to the successful lobbying of the UA board of trustees by Julia S. Tutwiler. Tutwiler, then president of the Livingston Normal College for Girls, was a lifelong advocate of the right of women to be self-supporting members of society.

The Crimson White

The student newspaper, the Crimson White, makes its first appearance.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 396

Military System Abandoned

In March, the Alabama Legislature decreed that, after thirty years of student protest, the military system of organization at the University be abandoned.

Summer School

A summer school for teachers begun in response to a need for better public education in Alabama, becoming the School of Education in 1909. The College of Education was established in 1929.

Greater University Fund

At the University's diamond jubilee celebration, President John William Abercrombie presented to the board of trustees his plans for the Greater University fund-raising campaign, thus ensuring that the state legislature would no longer be the primary source for financing the University's growth.

College of Engineering and School of Education

To meet the demands for specific training in two professions, the College of Engineering and the School of Education were established. Formerly part of the liberal arts disciplines, these new offspring would function independently of the now-reorganized College of Arts and Sciences.

Alabama Museum of Natural History

The Alabama Museum of Natural History in Smith Hall dedicated. Smith Hall served as a geological museum for the University's growing collections and still houses the Museum today.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 571

Dr. George Denny

Dr. George Denny became University president the campus consisted of 652 students and nine principal buildings. His presidency began an era of unprecedented physical and enrollment growth. When he retired in 1936, there were more than 5,000 students and 23 major buildings, which form the central core of the modern campus.

University Band

University band organized.

School of Commerce

The School of Commerce founded. It became the College of Commerce and Business Administration in 1929. It was renamed the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration in 1997.

Medical College Moves

The Medical College moved from Mobile to Tuscaloosa.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 2134

Escuela de posgrado

The Graduate School officially established.

Denny Chimes

Denny Chimes dedicated. Named for Dr. George H. Denny, president of the University from 1912 to 1936.

School of Home Economics

The School of Home Economics officially established. It became the College of Human Environmental Sciences in 1987.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 4,639

Moundville

Moundville Archaeological Park and its museum opened to the public.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 4,921

Medical College Moves to Birmingham

The Medical College moved from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham.

University Press

The University Press was formed.

Doctoral Programs

Introduction of doctoral programs authorized first doctorates awarded in 1952.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 5,269

Autherine J. Lucy

UA's first African-American student, Autherine J. Lucy, was admitted. She was expelled three days later "for her own safety" in response to threats from a mob. In 1992 Autherine Lucy Foster graduated from the University with a master's degree in education. The same day, her daughter, Grazia Foster, graduated with a bachelor's degree in corporate finance.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 8,257

Vivian Malone and James Hood

The first sustained enrollment of African-American students at UA — Vivian J. Malone and James A. Hood — was achieved. Vivian Malone graduated in 1965. James Hood returned to campus in 1995 and received a Ph.D. in interdisciplinary studies in 1997.

School of Social Work

The School of Social Work established.

Computer-Based Honors Program

The Computer-Based Honors Program, in which undergraduate students apply computer technology to research in a wide range of fields, was established.

Graduate School of Library Service Established

The Graduate School of Library Service established by act of the Alabama Legislature. It became the School of Library and Information Studies in 1989. The School merged with the College of Communication in 1997 to become the College of Communication and Information Sciences.

New College

New College established to allow students to pursue individualized courses of study while maintaining the academic standards of the University.

College of Community Health Sciences

The College of Community Health Sciences established.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 13.055

School of Communication

The School of Communication established. It became the College of Communication in 1988, and when it merged with the School of Information Sciences, was renamed the College of Communication and Information Sciences in 1997.

College of Nursing

The Capstone College of Nursing established.

Sesquicentennial

The University celebrates its sesquicentennial.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 16,388

College of Continuing Studies

The College of Continuing Studies established to provide "learning opportunities that transcend the barriers of distance, time, and accessibility &hellip (and) education in the technology-based formats that non-traditional learners need, offering courses by satellite, videotape, and the Internet." Its roots reach back to the Summer School for teachers in 1904, becoming the Extension Division in 1919. In the 1970s it was called Extended Services, then the Division of Continuing Education.

M.F.A Program in Book Arts

The M.F.A. Program in Book Arts, with specializations in printing and binding, is established within the School of Library and Information Studies. It is one of only three in the country to offer such an M.F.A. and the only one do so within the context of a library school.

Honors Program

University Honors Program established.

AMELIA

The University's computerized library card catalog, AMELIA, available for use.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 19,366

RISE Program

The Stallings Center opened as the new home of the RISE Program.

Blount Undergraduate Initiative

Blount Undergraduate Initiative established. (First freshman class accepted in 1999.)

Second Capital Campaign

Second Capital Campaign concluded having raised a total amount $224 million in gifts and pledges.

International Honors Program

International Honors Program established.

Rise of Dallas

Modeled on UA's RISE Program, the RISE School of Dallas, Texas, opened.

Bryant-Denny Renovations

Renovation of Bryant-Denny Stadium completed, increasing capacity to 82,000.

Student Services Center

Student Services Center completed.

Sewell-Thomas Field

Renovation of Sewell-Thomas Baseball Field to a capacity of 6,000 seats begun.

First Freshman Class in Blount Undergraduate Initiative

First freshman class accepted in Blount Undergraduate Initiative. Parker Adams Hall serves as its temporary headquarters.

UA's 15th Rhodes Scholar

English major Bradley Tuggle from Decatur, Ala., named UA's 15th Rhodes Scholar.

Oliver-Barnard Hall Dedication

Historic Barnard Hall rededicated as Oliver-Barnard Hall, the first of two Blount Undergraduate Initiative academic houses.

UA Softball Complex

Construction of 1,500-seat UA Softball Complex completed.

Blount Living-Center Opens

Blount Living-Learning Center opens to its first resident class.

Construction of Alabama Institute for Manufacturing Excellence (AIME) completed.

Morgan Auditorium Reopens

Morgan Auditorium reopens after $1 million renovation, the first since its construction in 1911.

UA Alumnus Pilots Shuttle

UA alumnus Lieutenant Colonel Jim Kelly pilots a Discovery space shuttle mission.

Top Rankings for UA School of Law

For the third consecutive year, the UA School of Law ranked among the best in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.

Alabama-Auburn Alliance

UA and Auburn University form the "Alabama-Auburn Alliance" to support fair funding of higher education.

Tide Navigator

Tide Navigator, a web-based registration system that is the first of its kind in the United States, debuts with incoming freshmen.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 19,633

UA Alumni Association establishes FATE: Future Alumni for Tradition and Excellence.

Crimson Tradition Fund

Crimson Tradition Fund established with $10 million gift by Paul Bryant Jr.

UA in Top Fifty

UA named one of the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 2003.

First Honors Student of the Year

UA student Kana Ellis of Northport, Ala., selected as as the first recipient of the Honors Student of the Year Award by the National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC)

College of Community Health Sciences Breaks Ground

College of Community Health Sciences breaks ground for its $12.6 million facility, designed to consolidate all services and operations of the Tuscaloosa medical campus.

Math Technology Learning Center

Greensboro East High School, in collaboration with UA, became the first high school in Alabama to establish a state-of-the-art Math Technology Learning Center.

Five UA Students Named to the All-USA College Academic Team

Five students from UA named to the 2003 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team. UA students garnered the most awards of any college or university, claiming five of 83 spots on the list.

Opening Doors

UA recognized 40 "pioneers" during three days of events to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Gov. George C. Wallace's "stand in the schoolhouse door."

UA Named named in Top 50

UA named one of the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 2004.

UA Student Selected as Portz Scholar

UA senior Rob Davis selected as one of three 2003 Portz Scholars in the National Collegiate Honors Council's competition for outstanding undergraduate Honors papers.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 20,333

Four UA Students Named to the All-USA College Academic Team

Four UA students named to the 2004 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team. UA came in second only to Harvard for 2004, and UA's two-year total of nine leads the nation.

University Medical Center

University Medical Center, UA's new multi-specialty clinic and home of the College of Community Health Sciences, opened on May 11.

Shelby Hall Dedication

Shelby Hall, UA's new 200,000-plus square foot interdisciplinary transportation and science complex, dedicated on May 14.

UA Named named in Top 50

UA named one of the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 2005.

Enrollment

Five UA students Named to All-USA College Academic Team

Five UA students named to the 2005 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team, the most of any school in the nation. UA's three-year total of 14 also tops all other colleges and universities.

Paul R. Jones Collection

Renowned art collector Paul R. Jones donated a $4.8 million art collection to UA. The 1,700-piece collection includes one of the largest and most comprehensive collections of 20th century African American art in the world.

UA Alerts

To improve crisis communications and enhance safety of the UA community, a new technological resource, UA Alerts, was installed. The system simultaneously sends alerts to cell phones, home and office phones, and emails and texts.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 28,807 total enrollment, an increase of 6.5 percent over 2008. Enrollment at UA increased 47 percent over 2002.

Bryce Hospital Agreement

UA reached an agreement with the state Mental Health Commission to purchase the Bryce Hospital property.

Grant Activity up 18 Percent

The University’s contract and grant activity increased 18 percent from the previous year, totaling $76 million—a significant step in furthering UA’s commitment to advancing its position as one of the premier research universities in the nation.

The Alabama Museum of Natural History Centennial

The Alabama Museum of Natural History in Smith Hall celebrated its centennial.

Undergraduate Welcome Center

Undergraduate Admissions opened a welcome center located on the Bryant Drive side of Bryant-Denny Stadium, under the south end zone.

Tornado Hits Tuscaloosa

On April 27 a tornado ravaged parts of Tuscaloosa but missed the campus. Graduation was cancelled and the semester ended early.

UA Ranked in Top 50 Again

UA was again ranked among the top 50 public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.

Robert Witt Named New Chancellor

UA President Robert E. Witt was named chancellor of the University of Alabama system Provost Judy Bonner became interim president.

Dr. Guy Bailey Becomes UA President

Dr. Guy Bailey accepted the presidency, but resigned the same year due to his wife’s illness.

First Female President

Dr. Judy Bonner became the first woman president of the Capstone.

Through the Doors

Through the Doors, a year-long commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the desegregation of the Capstone, engaged all areas of the University.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: 34,852, a record for total enrollment 6,478 in the entering freshmen class, the largest in UA history.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment tops 36,000.

The Cyber Institute

The Cyber Institute, which facilitates interdisciplinary research and educational programs related to cyber security and cyber-related technologies, was founded.

UA Smoke-Free

UA became a smoke-free campus.

Bryce Renovation Begins

Renovation and expansion began on the main buildings of the Peter Bryce campus.

29th President Named

Dr. Stuart Bell became the 29th president of the Capstone.

National Champions

The Crimson Tide defeated Clemson 45-40 to win its 16th national football championship.

Strategic Plan

The UA Strategic Plan: Advancing the Flagship was announced.

Enrollment

Fall 2016 enrollment reached a record 37,665, with 7,559 freshmen in the most academically talented class to date.

Adapted Athletics Facility

Groundbreaking for construction of first-of-its kind Adapted Athletics Facility.

Enrollment

Total University enrollment: Record-breaking 38,563.

Championship

UA earned another national football championship beating Georgia in overtime 26-23.

Doctoral Universities

Very High Research Activity status achieved.

Tuscaloosa Bicentennial Celebration

Collaboration with the city of Tuscaloosa to celebrate its bicentennial, including presenting the city with a statue of Minerva, goddess of wisdom

Fulbright Scholars

Recognized as Top Producing Institution for Fulbright U.S. Student Award for fourth time

Championship

The Crimson Tide defeated Ohio State 52-24 to become national champions.

Part of the University of Alabama System

Alabama State History

Spanish explorers are believed to have arrived at Mobile Bay in 1519, and the territory was visited in 1540 by the explorer Hernando de Soto. The first permanent European settlement in Alabama was founded by the French at Fort Louis de la Mobile in 1702. The British gained control of the area in 1763 by the Treaty of Paris but had to cede almost all the Alabama region to the U.S. and Spain after the American Revolution. The Confederacy was founded at Montgomery in Feb. 1861, and, for a time, the city was the Confederate capital.

During the later 19th century, the economy of the state slowly improved with industrialization. At Tuskegee Institute, founded in 1881 by Booker T. Washington, Dr. George Washington Carver carried out his famous agricultural research.

In the 1950s and '60s, Alabama was the site of such landmark civil-rights actions as the bus boycott in Montgomery (1955-56) and the ??Freedom March?? from Selma to Montgomery (1965).

Today paper, chemicals, rubber and plastics, apparel and textiles, primary metals, and automobile manufacturing constitute the leading industries of Alabama. Continuing as a major manufacturer of coal, iron, and steel, Birmingham is also noted for its world-renowned medical center. The state ranks high in the production of poultry, soybeans, milk, vegetables, livestock, wheat, cattle, cotton, peanuts, fruits, hogs, and corn.

Points of interest include the Helen Keller birthplace at Tuscumbia, the Space and Rocket Center at Huntsville, the White House of the Confederacy, the restored state Capitol, the Civil Rights Memorial, the Rosa Parks Museum & Library, and the Shakespeare Festival Theater Complex in Montgomery the Civil Rights Institute and the McWane Center in Birmingham the Russell Cave near Bridgeport the Bellingrath Gardens at Theodore the USS Alabama at Mobile Mound State Monument near Tuscaloosa and the Gulf Coast area.

Thirty-seven years after the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing which killed four young girls in Birmingham, the FBI released the name of four men??self-proclaimed Cahaba Boys, a branch of the Ku Klux Klan??responsible for the dynamite attack: Robert Chambliss, Herman Cash, Thomas Blanton and Bobby Cherry. Cash died in 1994 Blanton and Cherry were tried and convicted in 2001 and 2002 respectively (Cherry died in prison in 2004). Chambliss, originally charged alone, was acquitted of murder in 1963, but was sentenced to life in prison when the case was reopened in 1977. He died in prison in 1985.

In 2005, Hurricane Katrina caused major flooding and destruction along the coast of Alabama flood waters reached 11 ft in Mobile. Twenty-two counties were declared federal disaster areas.

Famous Alabama Natives and Residents

Hank Aaron jugador de baseball
Ralph Abernathy civil rights activist
Tallulah Bankhead actress
Hugo L. Black jurist
George Washington Carver educator, agricultural chemist
Nat "King"Cole entertainer
Mia Hamm jugador de fútbol
Lionel Hampton jazz musician
W. C. Handy compositor

Courtney Coxactress
Helen Keller author and educator
Coretta Scott King civil rights leader
Harper Lee escritor
Carl Lewis athlete
Joe Louis boxer
Willie Mays jugador de baseball
Jim Nabors actor

Jesse Owens athlete
Rosa Parks civil rights activist
Condoleeza Rice secretario de Estado
Wayne Rogers actor
George Wallace governor
William Weatherford/Red EagleCreek leader
Hank Williams singer and songwriter.


History of Montgomery, Alabama

Montgomery, the second largest city in Alabama, lies southeast of Birmingham on Interstate 65, on the banks of the Alabama River. Montgomery is the state capital and has a number of connections with the Civil Rights movement. Between 1817 and 1819, three towns were established close together in Alabama: New Philadelphia, Alabama Town, and East Alabama. In 1819, they were consolidated into Montgomery, named for General Richard Montgomery, who died in the Revolutionary War attempting to capture Quebec. Montgomery gained status as a city in 1837 and was named the state's capital in 1846. In 1861, the convention that created the Confederate States of America was held in Montgomery. The city served as the first capital of the Confederacy, until it was moved to Richmond, Virginia. Montgomery is close to Maxwell Air Force Base, presently the home of Air University. Maxwell AFB is on the site where Wilbur and Orville Wright operated the world's first flight training school in 1910. On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks, a black seamstress, was arrested for not relinquishing her seat to a white bus rider. The reaction to this act of defiance led to the 382-day Montgomery bus boycott that forced the city to desegregate its transit system on December 21, 1956. Reverend Martin Luther King Jr., an American Nobel Laureate, achieved national attention for civil rights issues during his occupancy term as pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church. In 1965, he led a four-day, nationally-publicized march for justice from Selma to Montgomery.


Motivo del bloqueo: El acceso desde su área se ha limitado temporalmente por razones de seguridad.
Tiempo: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:28:14 GMT

Sobre Wordfence

Wordfence es un complemento de seguridad instalado en más de 3 millones de sitios de WordPress. El propietario de este sitio utiliza Wordfence para administrar el acceso a su sitio.

También puede leer la documentación para obtener más información sobre las herramientas de bloqueo de Wordfence & # 039s, o visitar wordfence.com para obtener más información sobre Wordfence.

Generated by Wordfence at Sat, 19 Jun 2021 12:28:14 GMT.
El tiempo de su computadora:.


Early History of Native Americans in Alabama

The names of the Alabama tribes included:

  • Alabama- The Native word is "Albina" which means to camp. This tribe belonged to the Muskhogean Tribe which was the Southern Division.
  • Abihika- A branch of the Muskgoee & Creek Confederacy
  • Atasi- A sub-tribe of the Muskgoee.
  • Apalachee- This is one of the older lower creek tribes of Alabama. A few later joined the Creeks to he move to Oklahoma.
  • Apalachicola- The early tribe lived on the Chattahoochee River & then moved to the other side to Georgia.
  • Cherokee- Occupied towns such as Turkeytown which runs by the Coosa River in my hometown to towns such as Muscle Shoals, Wills Creek in Willstown, & Tuscumbia & where just about wiped out & removed by 1835.
  • Chatot- A tribe near Mobile.
  • Choctaw- A tribe that shortly occupied the Tombigbee area for hunting grounds.
  • Chickasaw- A tribe that covered the Nortwest part of Alabama.
  • Creek Confederacy- This tribe was built around the Muskogee which where dominant at the time. They also occupied the Coosa River in my hometown at one time.
  • Fus-hatchee- Another branch of the Muskogee tribe.
  • Eufaula- Also, a subtribe of the Muskogee.
  • Hitchiti- A Muskhogean tribe which branched into Georgia.
  • Hilibi- Another subtribe of the Muskogee.
  • Kan-hatki, Kealedji, Kolomi, Koasati, Muskogee, Okchai, Pakana, Wakokai, Wiwohka, where all subtribes branched from the Muskogee tribe which was apparently the most dominant tribe of Alabama. The Tukabahchee tribe was one of the four heads of the Muskogee's.
  • Mobile- This was a subtribe of the Choctaw &/or Chickasaw.
  • Muklasa- Also, a branch of the Choctaw. The word means "friends"
  • Napochi- The nearest connection found was to the Choctaw. They stayed around the Black Warrior River.
  • Natchez- This tribe stayed near the Coosa River as well & later joined the Creeks to Oklahoma.
  • Okmulgee- This was a branch of the Creek tribe.
  • Osochi- It is believed their language was Muskogee but little is known about the meaning of Osochi. The closest relation seems to be with the Chiaha.
  • Pawotki- This tribe came from Florida & later joined the Creek Confederacy.
  • Pilthlako- Also, a branch of the Creeks.
  • Sawokli- This tribe belonged to the Muskhogean tribe.
  • Shawnee- They occupied the Tallapoosa & Sylacauga areas.
  • Taensa- This group came from Louisiana & settled in Mobile.
  • Tohome- This was a division of the Muskogean tribe.
  • Tuskegee- Also, a branch of the Muskogeans.
  • Yuchi- This was an older tribe from around the Muscle Shoals area & it is suggested they probably moved toward the East Tennessee area.
  • Yamasee- This tribe was in the Mobile Bay area & later moved to West Florida area with the Seminoles.

Alabama was populated by many Native American groups when Europeans arrived in the 1500s. These Native Americans were mostly unaffected until the French established a permanent settlement in 1699. Groups of native people can be identified as belonging to one of the historic tribes of Alabama, including the groups who speak Muskogee, and those belonging to the Mississippian chiefdoms. These groups combined to become the Creek Confederacy. In similar fashion, other groups of tribes came together to create the Choctaw, Chickasaw and Cherokee tribes.

Agriculture was practiced by Indians such as the Creeks and Cherokee in the east, and the Choctaws and Chickasaws in the west when Spanish explorers arrived. The first known European contact with what would become Alabama occurred in 1519 when Alonso Alvarez de Pineda sailed in Mobile Bay. Cabeza de Vaca (and possibly Pánfilo de Narvaez) visited Alabama in 1528, and the Spanish did not really explore the area for another two decades, when Hernando de Soto led an expedition into the region about 1540.

In the 1700s many more Europeans moved into the area. Eventually these new residents would clash with various Native American groups, many of whom were organized as the Creek Confederacy.

The first permanent European settlement in Alabama was founded by the French at Fort Louis de la Mobile in 1702. The British gained control of the area in 1763 by the Treaty of Paris, but had to cede almost all the Alabama region to the US and Spain after the American Revolution.

Between 1805 and 1806, the Choctaw tribes (in western Alabama) and the Chickasaw and Cherokee tribes (in northern Alabama) were forced to cede their land to white settlement. The Creek Indians attempted to ally themselves with other tribes from the North in resistance to white settlement, but were ultimately unsuccessful. As a result, most of the native people of Alabama were resettled in the Oklahoma territory.


Ver el vídeo: Best Songs Of Alabama. Alabama Greatest Hits Playlist (Enero 2022).