Noticias

Galería del Escuadrón No 215

Galería del Escuadrón No 215


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Historia del Escuadrón No 215 (GBR)

  • 1CGS -> Desarrollador
  • Mensajes: 6670

Hola amigos. Por favor, ayude a escribir el texto en INGLÉS de la historia del escuadrón que estará disponible para el jugador en el primer lanzamiento de la Nueva Carrera.
Debe contener más de 2500 símbolos (sin límite superior), y debe describir TODA la historia del escuadrón, desde la fundación hasta el final de la historia (incluso hasta los días modernos, como para el 94 ° Aero Squadron de la USAF, por ejemplo).
Se agradecen todos los datos y comentarios adicionales.

Así que por favor discuta y publique sus textos aquí para el escuadrón número 215 del escuadrón británico

# 2 WWBrian

  • Mensajes: 2418

Lema: Surgite nox adest (en latín: & quot; Levántate, la noche está cerca & quot)

El Escuadrón No. 215 fue un escuadrón de aviones de la Royal Air Force formado como un escuadrón de bombarderos nocturnos en la Primera Guerra Mundial y nuevamente en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, convirtiéndose en un escuadrón de transporte cerca del final de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

El Escuadrón No. 215 de la RAF se formó en Francia el 1 de abril de 1918 al renumerar al escuadrón No. 15 del Royal Naval Air Service. El Escuadrón No. 15 RNAS se había formado el 10 de marzo de 1918 en Coudekerque, cerca de Dunkerque para operar el Handley Page 0/100 como un escuadrón de bombarderos nocturnos contra objetivos en Alemania.

Poco después de que el escuadrón se convirtiera en parte de la Royal Air Force, regresó a Inglaterra para reequiparse con el Handley Page O / 400 antes de regresar a Francia en julio de 1918 como parte de la Independent Air Force. Hasta agosto de 1918, el Escuadrón No 215 estaba equipado con diez de los Handley Page O / 400 y tenía su base en Alquines para realizar incursiones de bombardeo nocturno en objetivos de comunicación enemigos.

El 19 de agosto de 1918, y durante el resto de la guerra, el escuadrón número 215 realizó muchos bombardeos nocturnos notables en los cruces ferroviarios enemigos, fábricas de municiones y aeródromos.

El Escuadrón 215 sufrió, con mucho, el mayor número de bajas de cualquier escuadrón Handley Page O / 400 en la RAF: una tasa de bajas del 120 por ciento entre agosto y noviembre de 1918. De las 36 bajas, dos murieron en acción, tres resultaron heridas y 31 desaparecieron en combate. acción.

En contraste con la tasa de bajas del 120 por ciento del No. 215, durante el mismo período, las pérdidas para otros escuadrones de Handley Page fueron: Escuadrón 100, 20 por ciento Escuadrón 216, 30 por ciento Escuadrón 97, 40 por ciento Escuadrón 115, 13 por ciento.

Después del final de las hostilidades el 11 de noviembre de 1918, el escuadrón se disolvió el 18 de octubre de 1919.
El escuadrón fue reformado el 1 de octubre de 1935 del vuelo 'A' del Escuadrón No. 58 en RAF Worthy Down. Se fusionó en 11 OTU. El escuadrón se volvió a formar en RAF Honnington el mismo día con el Vickers Wellington solo para fusionarse en 11 OTU el mes siguiente.

El escuadrón se reformó en diciembre de 1941 en RAF Newmarket listo para el movimiento a la India. El escuadrón fue enviado a Calcuta en 1942 y estuvo involucrado en operaciones de bombardeo utilizando primero Vickers Wellington y luego, aviones Consolidated Liberator.

En abril de 1945 se equipó nuevamente con el Douglas Dakota y asumió un papel de escuadrón de transporte durante el resto de la guerra. El escuadrón se disolvió el 15 de febrero de 1946 y pasó a ser el Escuadrón No. 48.

El escuadrón se formó nuevamente el 1 de agosto de 1947 en Kabrit en Egipto con el Douglas Dakota para tareas de transporte y se disolvió el 1 de mayo de 1948 cuando fue rebautizado como 70 Squadron.

El escuadrón se reformó en abril de 1956 en RAF Dishforth para operar el Scottish Aviation Pioneer en el papel de transporte ligero y tareas de apoyo del ejército, y se disolvió dos años más tarde en septiembre de 1958 cuando fue rebautizado como 230 Squadron.

El escuadrón se formó nuevamente en mayo de 1963 en RAF Benson como un escuadrón de transporte de alcance medio para operaciones en el Lejano Oriente y se trasladó a RAF Changi con el Armstrong Whitworth Argosy hasta que se disolvió en diciembre de 1967.


Recuerdos de RAF Honington

(Recuerdos escritos por miembros de Forces Reunited)

RAF Honington, en 2007

Escrito por Allan Wrigglesworth (Buggs)

El mejor momento de mi agradable carrera en la RAF fue trabajar como mecánico de instrumentos en el Victor BMk1 (XH620), cuando 57Sqn tenía su base en Honington.

Raf Honington / USAF mildenhall 1960/61 en 1961

Buscando gente de la USAF estacionada en Mildenhall en 1960/61, por favor póngase en contacto


Galería del Escuadrón No 215 - Historia

Frederick Fitzpatrick B: 12 de diciembre de 1909 r: 6 de abril de 1962 D: 13 de febrero de 1999

CBE 9 de junio de 1949 DFC 19 de octubre de 1943 Medio - 1 de enero de 1941, BAgr.

(Res. Espec.): Plt Off (P): 17 de diciembre de 1932, Plt Off: 8 de enero de 1934, Fg desactivado: 16 de septiembre de 1934.

(RAF): Plt apagado (P): 20 de enero de 1936, Plt Off: 20 de enero de 1937, Fg desactivado: 20 de julio de 1937, actuar Flt Lt: 12 de mayo de 1939, Flt Lt: 20 de julio de 1939, Act Sqn Ldr: 4 de noviembre de 1939, A (T) Cuadrado Ldr: 1 de septiembre de 1940, Act Wg Cdr: xx de julio de 1941, (T) Wg Cdr: 1 de marzo de 1942 (ajustado al 1 de agosto de 1942 el 12 de octubre de 1948), Act Gp Capt: 15 de noviembre de 1944? Wg Cdr (WS): 15 de mayo de 1945, Cuadrado Ldr: 12 de mayo de 1947 [1 de agosto de 1940], Wg Cdr: 1 de noviembre de 1947 [1 de octubre de 1946], Capt de Gp: 1 de enero de 1952, Acto A / Cdre: 14 de noviembre de 1957, Aire acondicionado: Retenido.

Frederick Fitzpatrick Rainsford

por Bassano Ltd
Negativo de película de media placa, 14 de noviembre de 1938
NPG x155916

Galería Nacional de Retratos, Londres

17 de diciembre de 1932: Piloto, No 502 (Ulster) Special Reserve Sqn.

20 de enero de 1936: Renuncia a su Comisión de RE al ser nombrada una Comisión Permanente

20 de enero de 1936: Otorgado una Comisión Permanente con el rango de Oficial Piloto en Probatoria.

20 de enero de 1936: Piloto, Ayudante, No 215 Sqn.

xx xxx xxxx: Curso de navegación largo asistido

xx xxx xxxx: Oficial de navegación, No 215 Sqn

4 de noviembre de 1939: Oficial al mando, Vuelo 'A', No 215 Sqn

20 de enero de 1940: Transferido a RAFO y llamado para servicio (Publicado el 11 de enero de 1944)

29 de enero de 1940: Instructor jefe de tierra, RAF Bassingbourn

8 de abril de 1940: Instructor jefe de tierra, No 11 OTU.

xx de marzo de 1941: Oficial en funciones al mando / Comandante de vuelo, No 148 Sqn.

24 de julio de 1941: Oficial al mando, No 148 Sqn.

xx xxx 1942: Oficial al mando, RAF Molesworth.

xx Abril de 1942: Instructor jefe, No 29 OTU.

26 de septiembre de 1942: Asistió a la RAF Staff College, Bulstode.

xx Enero de 1943: Oficial de Estado Mayor, Grupo HQ No 3 (Bombardero).

xx de junio de 1943: Oficial al mando, No 115 Sqn.

xx Diciembre de 1943: Oficial de Estado Mayor, HQ No 33 Base.

xx de enero de 1945: Oficial al mando, RAF Gamston.

2 de febrero de 1945: Oficial al mando, No 30 OTU / RAF Gamston.

xx Junio ​​de 1945: Oficial al mando, No 105 (T) CU / No 1381 (T) CU.

xx de mayo de 1946: Estado Mayor Aéreo, Comando de Transporte del Cuartel General.

xx de octubre de 1946: dimitió de la RAF (Minuto de Aviación Civil).

xx Mayo de 1947: Subdirector de Operaciones de Transporte y Apoyo Aéreo.

12 de mayo de 1947: Nombrado para la comisión permanente con el rango de líder de escuadrón (conservando el rango actual en ese momento)

xx xxx 1947: Director de Operaciones de Transporte y Apoyo Aéreo.

xx de septiembre de 1949: Director de personal, RAF Staff College - Bracknell.

xx Agosto de 1951: Oficial al mando, RAF Lichfield.

27 de noviembre de 1952: Capitán de grupo - Organización, Cuartel general de la Fuerza Aérea del Lejano Oriente.

26 de septiembre de 1955: Oficial al mando., No 3 Recruit Training School, Padgate.

xx Diciembre de 1956: Oficial al mando, Escuela de Entrenamiento de Reclutas RAF / WRAF, Wilmslow.

xx Julio de 1957: Curso de vuelo de vampiros, Worksop.

14 de noviembre de 1957: Air Attach , Atenas.

15 de junio de 1960: Personal directivo, RN Staff College, Greenwich.

Criado en Irlanda, donde su padre era un oficial superior en la Real Policía de Irlanda, se mudó a Belfast cuando su padre se retiró en 1922 debido a la escalada de problemas. Al no obtener la Entrada Especial a la Royal Navy, un primo lejano lo convenció de que se uniera a él en Kenia como alumno agricultor. Viajando en 1929, rápidamente se instaló en el estilo de vida colonial. Después de dos años, decidió regresar a Gran Bretaña para obtener un título en agricultura con miras a regresar a África Oriental como oficial agrícola en el Servicio Colonial.

Inscrito en la Queen's University, Belfast, pronto se reunió con dos estudiantes de medicina que lo convencieron de que los acompañara a unirse al Escuadrón de Reserva Especial No 502 (Ulster). Al no estar particularmente impresionado por volar, falló en el examen médico posterior y fácilmente podría haber dejado atrás su carrera aeronáutica, pero su determinación irlandesa le aseguró que mejoró su estado físico, volviendo a solicitarlo seis meses después y siendo aceptado. Como acto, aprendió a volar en Avro 504, pero estableció un récord, tardando más de 27 horas y casi un año en hacerlo en solitario. Sin embargo, después de graduarse de Avro, voló Virginias del escuadrón.

Fred Rainsford se graduó de Queen's y consiguió un trabajo en una granja de cerdos estableciendo un sistema de registro, pero desencantado con esto y al darse cuenta de que una guerra era inevitable, decidió solicitar una Comisión Regular que recibió en marzo de 1936. Publicado en el Escuadrón No 215 entonces volando Virginia Mk X's, pero pronto tuvo lugar el reequipamiento con Ansons y Harrows. Quedándose con el n. ° 215 se trasladó a RAF Driffield y luego a Honington, donde el escuadrón se volvió a equipar con Wellingtons en 1939. Finalmente, el 215 se trasladó a la Isla de Man (Jurby) donde se disolvió, los remanentes, incluido Fred Rainsford, luego se trasladaron a Bassingbourne para formar No 11 OTU. Mientras estuvo allí ocupó los puestos de ayudante, comandante de vuelo e instructor jefe de tierra.

Habiendo alcanzado el rango de líder de escuadrón, se ofreció como voluntario para el servicio en el Medio Oriente. Viajando a Malta, luego voló en un Wellington a El Adem en Libia y luego a Kabrit en Egipto. Tomando el mando de No 148 Sqn, volvió a Flight Commander a la llegada de un Wing Commander con más experiencia. Operando desde terrenos de aterrizaje avanzados en el desierto, el n. ° 148 llevó a cabo la mayoría de sus misiones contra Bengasi, aunque se realizaron incursiones en las islas griegas para ayudar a la campaña griega. Al regresar a Gran Bretaña a través de la 'Ruta Takoradi' inversa, se le ofreció un vuelo de regreso desde África Occidental a bordo de un Liberator, pero cuando los problemas mecánicos retrasaron su regreso, viajó en barco. Más tarde se enteró de que el Libertador finalmente se había estrellado contra las montañas de Mourne sin supervivientes. Enviado al mando de la RAF Molesworth después de un curso de conversión en el Whitley, en pocas semanas se encontró en RAF North Luffenham como Instructor Jefe en la OTU No 29, entrenando equipos para operaciones en Wellingtons. Asistiendo a un curso de personal en tiempo de guerra en Bulstrode, luego sirvió en el personal del Grupo HQ No 3 procesando las órdenes del Comando de Bombarderos del HQ a los escuadrones operativos.

Cuatro meses como oficial de estado mayor fueron seguidos por un nuevo mando, esta vez del único escuadrón Lancaster Mk II, el No 115, en East Wretham en Norfolk. Pronto descubrió que las operaciones en Alemania diferían dramáticamente de las del Medio Oriente. Estuvo involucrado en operaciones contra objetivos en Alemania e Italia, incluida la Operación 'Gomorrah' en Hamberg y el Peenemunde Raid. Diciembre de 1943 vio su gira como Comandante de Escuadrón a su fin cuando fue admitido en el Hospital de Ely con amigdalitis. En el Año Nuevo, se encontró una vez más sirviendo como oficial de estado mayor, esta vez en el HQ No 33 Base, RAF Waterbeach. Justo antes del final de la guerra, asumió el cargo de Comandante de la Estación en RAF Gamston, que entonces era el hogar del No 30 OTU. Tras la disolución del No 30 OTU, se vio trasladado a Bramcote para comandar el No 105 (Transporte) CU, equipado con Dakotas. Esta Unidad de Conversión fue redesignada No 1381 (T) CU y poco después se trasladó a Desborough todavía con Fred Rainsford al mando. Seis meses allí y con la caída de la RAF resultó en su regreso a Wing Commander y un puesto en el HQ Transport Command.

Con su futuro incierto en la RAF de posguerra, decidió renunciar a su cargo y asumió un puesto en el Ministerio de Aviación Civil. En este cargo fue enviado a Montreal como representante británico en la Organización Provisional de Aviación Civil Internacional (precursora de la actual OACI), actuando como secretario del Comité Médico. Afortunadamente, justo cuando este puesto temporal estaba llegando a su fin, se le ofreció una Comisión Permanente en la RAF como Líder de Escuadrón. Ascendido a Wing Commander antes de su primer nombramiento, se encontró nuevamente en el Ministerio del Aire como Director Adjunto de Operaciones de Transporte y Apoyo Aéreo bajo el Comodoro del Aire David Atcherley. En este puesto, se encontró planeando la posibilidad de reabastecer la guarnición de Berlín por aire si fuera necesario, sin saber que los rusos pronto lo harían necesario.

Con David Atcherley moviéndose para comandar la CFE poco después de que comenzara el puente aéreo, Fred Rainsford asumió el cargo de Director y asumió la responsabilidad de diseñar la respuesta del Ministerio del Aire al bloqueo ruso. Por su trabajo durante esta fase de su carrera, fue galardonado con el CBE en la lista de honor de cumpleaños de junio de 1949. Se le ofreció la oportunidad de comandar una estación en Alemania o convertirse en miembro del personal directivo del Staff College, eligió la última para ampliar su experiencia. Siguió un nuevo período como comandante de estación, con su nombramiento como OC, Escuela de Navegación Aérea No 6 en Lichfield. Sin embargo, se le ocurrió una mudanza al extranjero cuando fue designado para el puesto de Capitán de Grupo - Organización en el Cuartel General de la Fuerza Aérea del Lejano Oriente. En este cargo, fue responsable de los servicios de obras y los establecimientos dentro de la extensa área de FEAF y, como resultado, pudo viajar desde su base en Singapur a Ceilán, Japón, Corea y Australia, así como dentro de la Federación Malaya. Este nombramiento coincidió con la Guerra de Corea y la Operación "Perro de fuego".

Al regresar a Gran Bretaña nuevamente, lo encontró por un corto tiempo al mando de dos Escuelas de Entrenamiento de Reclutas, la primera en Padgate entrenando a aviadores del Servicio Nacional y la segunda en Wilmslow, en ese momento la única escuela que entrenaba tanto a reclutas de la RAF como de la WRAF. Un curso de vuelo en jet sobre Vampires en Worksop precedió a otra gira por el extranjero, esta vez como Air Attach® a Atenas. Una vez más entró en una arena turbulenta, esta vez como resultado del llamado grecochipriota a la unión con Grecia (ENOSIS). Sin embargo, durante su mandato, la situación de Chipre se resolvió y pudo visitar las estaciones de la Fuerza Aérea Griega, algo que su predecesor no había podido hacer. Se retiró a petición propia.

Mención para el premio de la Distinguished Flying Cross.

Comandante del ala Frederick Fitzpatrick RAINSFORD (37507). Reserva de Oficiales de la Fuerza Aérea, Escuadrón No 115.

Este oficial ha participado en una gran cantidad de salidas, muchas de ellas mientras prestaba servicio en el Medio Oriente. Más recientemente, ha participado en ataques a varios objetivos en Alemania, incluidos Dortmund, Wuppertal y Hamburgo. Los esfuerzos del Wing Commander Rainsford se han caracterizado por una determinación sobresaliente para lograr el éxito y ha dado un ejemplo digno de elogios.


Galería del Escuadrón No 215 - Historia

De la historia de:

La Real Fuerza Aérea Canadiense jugó un papel vital en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, proporcionando miles de personal aéreo, tripulación de tierra y aviones a todos los teatros. Durante la Guerra de Corea, el Escuadrón No. 426 “Thunderbird” emprendió un inmenso transporte aéreo de suministros a las fuerzas de las Naciones Unidas y 22 pilotos canadienses volaron con unidades de combate estadounidenses, participando en las primeras acciones de combate a reacción.

Oficial de vuelo Wallace Phillips & # 039 Lancaster crew, No. 408 (Goose) Squadron, Royal.

George Kelley posa sobre un luchador mientras está destinado en Inglaterra en algún momento durante el.

George Kelley y un camarada posan debajo del arte de la nariz de un Wellington Bomber.

Avión Avro Lancaster, Dartmouth, Nueva Escocia, 1943.

Aquí se muestra al Sr. Allenby sentado en lo alto de la escalera de mano con un destornillador.

El Sr. Allenby aparece pintando el cuerpo del Spitfire. Se requirieron todas las aeronaves.

Los restos de un bombardero Halifax destruido en la noche del 3 al 4 de marzo de 1945 cerca.

RCAF Women & # 039s Division en RCAF Station Trenton despidiéndose antes de ser desplegado.

Avión en Debert, Nueva Escocia, 1943.

Personal no identificado con aeronave Supermarine Spitfire V R7143 del No 13 (P) Sq.

Maurice Holloway en la cabina de un avión de Harvard norteamericano durante su.

Personal de tierra que da servicio a un avión Hawker Hurricane IIB del No. 402 (Ciudad de Winnipe.

Tripulación con un avión Fairey Battle I en un hangar en Bombardeo N ° 1 y Gunne.

Frank de Verteuil realiza una limpieza de último minuto del avión que tomaron prestados.

Uno de los bombarderos de Halifax utilizados en la invasión aliada de Normandía el día D, 6 J.

Suboficial 2-Air Gunner Bernard McNicholl posando cerca de la torreta del Hal.

Escuadrón No. 438, Real Fuerza Aérea Canadiense (antes Escuadrón No. 118, RCAF) rec.

Foto tomada en el aeródromo AUX en Wellingore, Inglaterra, 1942. Jack Hilton está en el.

Personal con un avión Hawker Hurricane XII del Escuadrón No 130 (F), RCAF Bagot.

Un avión Hawker Hurricane de la Unidad de Entrenamiento Operacional (OTU) No. 5, RCAF Bound.

SI. Kennedy frente a su Spitfire en Inglaterra alrededor de 1942.

& quotYO-D & quot, I.F. Kennedy & # 039s Spitfire IX del Escuadrón 401 sobre Normandía. Pintura de R..

Graham Kennedy & # 039s class en 57 Operational Training Unit (OTU), donde aprendieron.

David Ritchie & # 039s compañeros pilotos de la Unidad de Entrenamiento Operacional No. 52, Vuelo D.


Reconocimiento aéreo en la Galería de la Segunda Guerra Mundial

Al final de la Primera Guerra Mundial, el reconocimiento fotográfico había demostrado su eficacia y era universalmente reconocido como el ojo indispensable del ejército moderno. Sin embargo, a pesar de esta historia y del desarrollo constante de las aplicaciones civiles de la fotografía aérea, en los primeros meses de la Segunda Guerra Mundial la filosofía de la RAF era que no se involucraban habilidades especiales. Se consideró que en las pocas ocasiones en que las fotografías aéreas podrían ser útiles, el mejor curso de acción sería utilizar aviones existentes, con los orificios adecuados para las cámaras.

En la práctica, los aviones Bristol Blenheims y Fairey Battle modificados que se utilizaron fueron derribados con frecuencia y sus cámaras a menudo se congelaron. La fotografía que se muestra aquí de una batalla de Fairey del escuadrón 266, Advanced Air Striking Force, es una de las primeras de la guerra. Fue tomado de otro Fairey el 20 de septiembre de 1939, a 20 km (12 millas) al suroeste de Saarbrucken, cuando el Escuadrón tenía su base en Reims-Champagne. Fue en el momento en que se tomó esta fotografía cuando los británicos recordaron cuán importante era el reconocimiento aéreo para ganar la guerra.


& # 8220La Patrulla Aérea Civil de Traverse City se lanzó en 1955 y ha estado en servicio continuo desde entonces, & # 8221 explicó Wayne & # 8221Buzz & # 8221 Bauers, un piloto retirado de la Marina de los EE. UU. Que actúa como oficial de asuntos públicos de la unidad TC.

Sección de esta Patrulla Aérea Civil federal, que ha evolucionado con el tiempo para responder a todo tipo de crisis atmosféricas y terrestres, la patrulla urbana transversal no es el único escuadrón CAP real en el norte del Bajo Michigan. Los demás se encuentran en Cadillac, Grayling y Alpena. Además, el 4 talk one aircraft, un Cessna-182 de cuatro plazas y 230 caballos de fuerza establecido en Cadillac.

Cada escuadrón consta de cadetes, de 12 a 21 años de edad, y miembros maduros dentro de los 21 años. A nivel nacional, CAP tiene más de 56.000 miembros en 1.500 comunidades.

El líder Gareth Todd, profesor de la Universidad Estatal de Ferris, es el comandante de este Escuadrón Compuesto Cadillac Highpoint de ambos 16 cadetes junto con 1-5 asociados mayores. Se reúnen dos veces al mes en el aeropuerto Cadillac.

No es obligatorio que los asociados deseen construir un medio de vida aeroespacial solo para fascinarse con la aviación. Y CAP ofrece muchas opciones a las personas que lo hacen.

& # 8220Civil Air Patrol ofrece muchas oportunidades de dirección, & # 8221 explicó Todd. & # 8220Plus incluye fantásticos kits STEM que están fácilmente disponibles para los miembros & # 8221

Algunos ex alumnos de este escuadrón TC han alcanzado grandes logros en el ejército, por ejemplo, un que despierta un bombardero Stealth b2 y un segundo que pilota un helicóptero Black Hawk, según lo declarado por Important Jo Hendrix, comandante de grupo de los 4 escuadrones del norte de Michigan. .

A la conclusión de junio, los asociados de CAP probablemente acudirán en masa a Alpena para obtener un Campamento de Ala de Michigan de una semana de duración.

& # 8220 & # 8217ll vendrán de todo el mundo & # 8221, dijo Hendrix, una enfermera de atención urgente que ha estado ocupada en CAP durante más de 2 décadas. & # 8220Es intenso. Ellos & # 8217ve todo tipo de clases en las que conocen la dirección, responsabilidades y más & # 8221 (Para obtener más información sobre los cursos de Campamento, consulte www.miwg.cap.gov/encampment/)

Los asociados de CAP del norte de Michigan también han participado en una selección completa de tareas de búsqueda y rescate en las últimas dos décadas. Después de que un avión saliera de la isla Mackinac hace un par de décadas, los buscadores de CAP parecieron participar en la búsqueda. Después de que una banda de caminantes perdiera el rumbo dentro de la Península Superior a los 20-16 años, CAP ayudó en los esfuerzos por descubrirlos. En diciembre pasado, los cadetes del norte de Michigan participaron en & # 8221Wreaths Around America, & # 8221, que coordinó festivales de colocación de coronas en el cementerio de Arlington junto con 1,600 ubicaciones diferentes en todo el país.

Al principio
A principios de 1942, solo después de que Estados Unidos entró en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, los submarinos alemanes, o uboats, estaban cobrando un precio excelente en los envíos desde el Océano Atlántico. A modo de ejemplo, en marzo de 1942 despertaron 86 embarcaciones de la costa este de Estados Unidos. En su mayor parte, ciertamente eran barcos mercantes armados o desarmados que transportaban armas, alimentos, gas y suministros a Europa.

En conclusión, se formó por primera vez la CAP, una compañía civil de pilotos voluntarios maduros.

& # 8220Muchos [pilotos] no eran elegibles para su ejército por edad o discapacidad física, & # 8221, escribió el destacado historiador Samuel Eliot Morrison en su publicación & # 8221 The Battle of the Atlantic, 1939-43. & # 8221 & # 8220Sin embargo, pueden volar algunos con patas de madera y, por lo tanto, poseían aviones, algunos tan pequeños como un Stinson Voyager. & # 8221

El luchador Voyager ha sido un Twoseater de 1,580 libras con un motor de 75 caballos de fuerza que trabajó duro para recibir su alta velocidad de poco más de 100 mph.

& # 8220 Inicialmente habían estado completamente desarmados, funcionando solo para ver submarinos o depredadores, & # 8221 compuso Morrison. & # 8220 Sin embargo, a medida que pasaba el tiempo, los aviones más caros se diseñaron con solo una carga de 325 libras de espesor o 2 bombas de demolición de 100 libras y también una mira de bombas casera muy simple. Su valor de regla, a lo largo de hundimientos significativos a lo largo de la costa atlántica, sería avistar botes discapacitados o depredadores en barcos salvavidas y reportar aeronaves extrañas o cuestionables & # 8221

En marzo de 1942 durante agosto de 1943, aviones CAP armados con 21 cimientos costeros desde Maine hasta la frontera con México patrullaban los mares frente a las costas del Atlántico y el Golfo. Sus éxitos hicieron de la PAC un merecido cumplido entre el público y el ejército.

& # 8220Uno de los atributos notables de este PAC ha sido su flexibilidad y ausencia de trámites burocráticos, & # 8221 compuso Morrison. & # 8220 En el caso de que la Marina quisiera que tal cosa, por sangre en una mira de bomba, fuera transportada a cualquier lugar en el camino o tal vez una nota llevada a un barco en el mar, entonces el CAP estaba listo para disparar & # 8221

& # 8220la vitalidad de estos civiles voladores asombraba su intrepidez más allá de los cumplidos. Cuando hacía mal tiempo, los aviones militares se mantenían en tierra, se volvían populares y buscaban submarinos. & # 8221

Al principio, CAP no ofreció ningún suministro para que los jóvenes participaran. Finalmente, en 1942, los líderes del CAP comenzaron un curso para jóvenes de entre 15 y 18 años. Se demostró que el programa de cadetes era un poderoso golpe para impartir habilidades prácticas y preparar a los adolescentes para las carreras militares.

NUEVAS MISIONES
Después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, los esfuerzos del CAP se centraron en tres asignaciones principales: el plan de cadetes, los proveedores de emergencia y la educación aeroespacial. Tan pronto como la Academia de la Fuerza Aérea de EE. UU. Comenzó en 1955, el diez por ciento de su primera clase terminaron siendo ex miembros de CAP. A lo largo del tiempo, las tripulaciones de CAP habían estado ocupadas trayendo repuestos para su Fuerza Aérea, volando asignaciones de trasplantes de órganos y tejidos individuales y participando en las secuelas de desastres como el derrame de petróleo del Exxon Valdez, el bombardeo de Oklahoma City y los huracanes Hugo, Andrew y Floyd.

Con un aumento del financiamiento nacional, CAP se ha convertido en el receptor de las tecnologías más nuevas debido a sus propios servicios de emergencia, por ejemplo, imágenes de alta calidad, comunicaciones aéreas mejoradas, procedimientos infrarrojos mejorados, aviónica de cabina de vidrio equipada con GPS y mucho más. El aire acondicionado CAP entrena directamente junto a los empleados militares en las asignaciones de intercepción de defensa aérea, ejercicios de comunicación y seguridad cibernética, por ejemplo, aviones no tripulados para brindar ayuda de entrenamiento visual para las fuerzas de construcción.

En 2014, se aprobó una legislación para otorgar la Medalla de Oro del Congreso a los aproximadamente 200.000 miembros de CAP de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. La decoración es la máxima manifestación de admiración de la nación por los logros y contribuciones distinguidos.

Los funcionarios de la CAP del norte de Michigan, Hendrix, & # 8221 Todd y también Bauers están de acuerdo en que & # 8217d les encantaría ver más visitantes, especialmente adultos que participan en su propio programa.

& # 8220Necesitamos absolutamente líderes senior, & # 8221 explicó Bauers. & # 8220Para sus cadetes, Civil Air Patrol ayuda a desarrollar conocimientos de liderazgo, desarrollar nuevas amistades y participar como miembro del equipo en asignaciones reales, participar en campamentos junto con diferentes entrenamientos y perfeccionar algunas habilidades cruciales para el sustento & # 8221

En la foto de arriba: Brett Bulsma de este escuadrón de Patrulla Aérea Civil de la ciudad de Traverse.


Una breve historia: & nbsp La Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia

La siguiente tabla enumera los diversos nombres de la Fuerza Aérea desde su inicio y la fecha de aplicación.

1er Batallón del Regimiento de Rhodesia - Sección Aérea

Fuerza de Defensa de Rhodesia del Sur de la Sección Aérea

Unidad Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur (SRAU)

Escuadrón No1, Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur

Escuadrón No 237 (Rhodesia), Royal Air Force

Cuerpo de Estado Mayor de Rhodesia del Sur, Escuadrón de Comunicaciones

Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur

Real Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia (RRAF)

Una breve historia de la Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia

Sería casi imposible escribir la historia completa de la Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia y publicarla en este sitio web. Por lo tanto, este es un breve resumen de la historia. Si necesita más detalles, debe leer detenidamente, ya que es poco probable que encuentre todos los detalles en una sola portada.

1935
En noviembre de 1935 se estableció la sección aérea de la fuerza territorial y comenzó el entrenamiento de vuelo en el aeropuerto de Belvedere, cerca de Salisbury, bajo el mando del 1er Batallón del Regimiento de Rhodesia. Los aviones utilizados fueron De Havilland Tiger Moths. Scott Robertson fue el primer instructor y John Holderness fue uno de los primeros seis alumnos piloto.

1936
En marzo de 1936, un capitán de grupo de la Royal Air Force llegó de Londres para asesorar sobre el desarrollo de la unidad aérea. Era Arthur Harris, que más tarde se convertiría en el Comandante del Comando de Bombarderos.

La Gaceta del Gobierno del 17 de julio de 1936 anunció la formación de la Fuerza de Defensa de Rhodesia del Sur de la Sección Aérea.

1937
En noviembre de 1937 se encargó el segundo curso de pilotos. Este curso incluyó a E. ("Ted") W. S. Jacklin, quien más tarde se convertiría en el primer Jefe de Estado Mayor del Aire y fundador de la Fuerza Aérea de posguerra de Rhodesia & rsquos.

En diciembre de 1937, el nuevo aeródromo de Cranborne contaba con dos pistas, hangares, talleres y oficinas y estaba listo para la inspección oficial del coronel J. S. Morris, oficial al mando de las fuerzas de Rhodesia del Sur. Dos Hawker Harts (& ldquoSR 1 y SR 2 & rdquo) estaban listos para volar.



Oficiales lío Cranborne

1938
El 21 de febrero de 1938, la unidad aérea recibió el primer De Havilland Tiger Moth. Este avión estaba equipado para vuelo por instrumentos.

El 1 de abril de 1938 vio la separación de la unidad aérea de las fuerzas territoriales cuando asumió el título de Unidad Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur (SRAU). El oficial al mando era el teniente Jimmy Powell y el oficial de Estado Mayor de Servicios Aéreos era el comandante Dirk Cloete.

La insignia de vuelo era similar a la de la Royal Air Force, pero la RAF fue reemplazada por un escudo de armas en miniatura de Rhodesia del Sur. Esto más tarde se convirtió en la insignia de la Royal Rhodesian Air Force, excepto que la corona King & rsquos fue reemplazada por una corona Queens.

El martes 11 de junio de 1938 fue la primera vez que el periódico (Rhodesia Herald) se refirió a la Unidad Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur como la Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia.

1939
En marzo de 1939, un grupo de pilotos e ingenieros voló en un Rapide del gobierno de Rhodesia a El Cairo para recoger cuatro aviones Hawker Audax, que volaron a Rhodesia del Sur.

El 13 de mayo de 1939 los miembros del curso de Pilotos No 2 recibieron sus alas. Incluidos en este grupo estaban Ted Jacklin, Eric Spence, Tickey Tyas, Hugh Peyton, R. J. D. Christie y A.T.R. Hutchinson.

En junio de 1939, el teniente coronel Charles Warburton Meredith AFC fue nombrado nuevo director de aviación civil y oficial al mando de la sección aérea. Hizo saber que el impulso sería hacia el establecimiento de una Fuerza Aérea autónoma.

A finales de agosto de 1939, la Unidad Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur fue enviada a Nairobi como parte de la movilización para la guerra con Alemania. Gran Bretaña declaró la guerra a Alemania el 3 de septiembre de 1939.

El 6 de septiembre de 1939, el nombre de la Unidad Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur se cambió a Escuadrón No1, Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur.

El Escuadrón 266 (Rhodesia) fue reformado en octubre de 1939. Originalmente estaba equipado con Fairy Battles y más tarde con Spitfires. Este escuadrón prestó servicio en una de las fases más feroces de la guerra durante las incursiones nocturnas en Londres, Birmingham y Coventry.

1940
El 1 de abril de 1940 trajo el impopular cambio de nombre del Escuadrón No.1 de la Fuerza Aérea de Rhodesia del Sur al Escuadrón No 237 (Rhodesia) de la Royal Air Force.

Desde junio de 1940 hasta noviembre de 1941, el Escuadrón No 237 (Rhodesia) participó en la Campaña de África Oriental. Aquí vieron servicio en Kenia, Sudán y Eritrea.

1941
El 1 de agosto de 1941, 106 mujeres reclutas atestiguaron en la Fuerza Aérea Auxiliar de Mujeres y rsquos de Rhodesia del Sur. Sus funciones eran tareas de oficina, trabajo de telas, embalaje de paracaídas, mecánica elemental y conducción de transporte motorizado.

El 15 de agosto de 1941 se formó el Cuerpo Askari Aéreo de Rhodesia. Sus deberes incluían la provisión de guardias armados y mano de obra no armada para aeródromos. Los miembros de esta unidad eran todos voluntarios y proporcionaron un valioso servicio de vigilancia y protección de aeródromos.

No 44 escuadrón de bombarderos fue otro escuadrón que lleva el nombre de Rhodesia. Realizaron incursiones en Calais, Augsburgo, Colonia, Kiel, Kassess, Rostock, Le Harvre y el Tirpitz, entre muchos otros. El escuadrón estaba inicialmente equipado con Hawker Hinds (desde marzo de 1937 hasta diciembre de 1939), luego con Hampdens (1939 y 1942) y más tarde en 1942 con Avro Lancaster Bombers.

1947
En 1947 se formó el Empire Air Training Scheme para entrenar a 350 pilotos y navegantes al año para la Royal Air Force y se tomarían disposiciones dentro del plan para entrenar a pilotos de Rhodesia.

Se formó un escuadrón de comunicaciones utilizando una polilla Leopard SR22 y se basó en Cranborne. A esto se unieron más tarde y Avro Anson SR21.

El 7 de abril de 1947 fue testigo de la visita de la familia real británica. El vice mariscal del aire, Charles Meredith, fue nombrado caballero.

El 15 de septiembre de 1947, el Escuadrón de Comunicaciones de Cranborne pasó a ser conocido como el Cuerpo de Estado Mayor de Rhodesia del Sur, Escuadrón de Comunicaciones (que más tarde se convertiría en el Escuadrón N ° 3). En este momento, se agregó al escuadrón un Dakota comprado al gobierno de Sudáfrica (SR 25). También se compraron 12 aviones Harvard Mark 11B.

La plantilla de pilotos era de 4 pero la dotación era sólo de 3. Los tres eran el Suboficial Harold Hawkins (ex Sqn Ldr RAF), el Sargento Doug White (ex Flt Lt RAVR), el Sargento Tony Chisnall (ex Suboficial RAFVR). The forth post was advertised and was filled by Archie Wilson.

On the 28th November 1947 the Southern Rhodesian Air Force was officially reestablished by proclamation in the Government Gazette.

Colonel Garlake, General Officer Commanding Central Africa Command (later Major General) was responsible for the air force until 1956, by which time the Air Force had acquired a squadron of De Havilland Vampire FB9 aircraft.

The first commander of the air unit was Captain Keith Taute who was succeeded by Lieutenant Colonel E.W.S. Jacklin (later Air Vice Marshall). &ldquoTed&rdquo Jacklin was a dynamic leader and the driving force behind the rebuilding of the force.

1948
On the 12th June 1948 the Communications Squadron received 3 Avro Anson Aircraft as part of an agreed compensation package from the British Government. These aircraft were allocated the number SR 29, SR 30 and SR 31.

In 1948 Russia had instituted the Berlin blockade. This resulted in Rhodesian men and being called up for service. Woman were also being recruited into the Southern Rhodesia Woman&rsquos Military and Air Service.

1949
In May 1949 the first two Harvards purchased from the South African government arrived.

On the 1st March 1949 Lieutenant Colonel &ldquoTed&rdquo Jacklin was appointed Commanding Officer of the Southern Rhodesia Staff Corps.

On the 18th June 1949 the government announced plans to build a new national airport on Kentucky Farm south of the city. This site was later to become the main air force base named New Sarum

During July 1949 the flying training of territorial volunteers began and No 1 Squadron, Southern Rhodesia Auxiliary Air Force was formed.

1950
The Photographic section came into being in 1950. This largely unnoticed section of the force would unbeknown to them at the time, play a large part in the planning of operations in the future.
In December 1950 it was announced that the name of the regular military air service would be the Southern Rhodesia Air Force.

1951
22nd March 1951 saw the arrival at Cranborne of 10 out of the 11 Spitfire aircraft. The 11th arrived in the 7th April 1951.

The first Short Service course for pilots started on the 1sr September 1951.

27th September 1951 was the day on which No 1 Course, Southern Rhodesia Auxiliary Air Force received their wings. This course included the first air observer pilot for the Southern Rhodesia Artillery.

On the 18th December 1951, nine Spitfires out of eleven landed at Salisbury after the second ferry from England. One was destroyed and the pilot killed (Sergeant Owen Love) after having become disoriented in cloud over France and another had been extensively damaged on landing at Entebe, in Uganda.

1952
By February 1952 the air force had a number of aircraft based at Kentucky. The second runway was in use and the sixth hangar was in the process of being built.

1st March 1952 saw the start of the second short service pilot training course.

On the 1st April 1952 the Southern Rhodesia Air Force officially moved to Kentucky (New Sarum).

The passing our parade for No1 Short Service Course was held at Kentucky on the 21st August 1952 there were 11 graduates. The parade commander was Captain A.O.G. Wilson (later to become Commander of the Air Force).

In October 1952 Southern Rhodesia Air Force headquarters moved out to New Sarum (Kentucky). The name of the air base was suggested by Keith Taute, Sarum was the Roman Name for Salisbury in Wiltshire, England.

The transport squadron, (No 1 Squadron) moved to New Sarum from Cranborne shortly afterwards and was re-designated No 3 Transport Squadron. No 1 Squadron became a Spitfire squadron.

The 14th December 1952 saw the first fatal accident since the war within the colony, when an Auster aircraft hit power cables and crashed into the Hunyani river. Lieutenant Corruthers an artillery observer pilot was killed.

1953
On the 23rd November 1953 the first four, twin engine, Percival Pembroke aircraft arrived at Salisbury airport.

12th December 1953 saw the first four Vampire FB9 aircraft arrive in Southern Rhodesia.

On the 6th August 1953 the Royal Air Force ensign was lowered for the last time at Thornhill marking the final graduation parade for the Royal Air Force Training Group. Royal Air Force training in Southern Rhodesia had come to an end.

1954
On the 20th May 1954 four Vampire FB9s and one Vampire T11 trainer arrived in Southern Rhodesia from RAF Benson in the UK.

10th August 1954 saw the arrival of a further 6 Vampires

On the 15th October 1954 the name of the air force was changed to &ldquoRoyal Rhodesian Air Force&rdquo and adopted the Royal Air Force rank structure.

In late October 1954 the Royal Rhodesian Air Force took delivery of it&rsquos second Dakota aircraft which was ferried out from England using the West African route.

Four Percival Provost aircraft arrived on 4th November 1954.

18th December 1954 saw the last flight of the Spitfire (SR64) in service with the RRAF.

1955
On the 10th March 1955 a flight of five Vampire T11 aircraft arrived from England

Another flight of Vampire arrived from England on the 1st November 1955.
On the 25th December 1955 another eight Provost T52 aircraft arrived.

These last two ferries brought the number of Vampire aircraft to 16 FB9s and 16 T11s, Provosts to 16, Dakotas to seven and Pembrokes to 2.

1956
January 1956 saw a major change in the RRAF when the number of squadrons was changed from three to four.

No.1 Squadron was formed at New Sarum with Vampire FB9 and T11 aircraft. It&rsquos major task to train Pilot Attack Instructors (PAIs).

No.2 Squadron was formed at New Sarum with Vampire FB9 and T11 aircraft. It was responsible for the Advanced Flying Training of Short Service Unit pupil pilots.

No. 3 Squadron the transport squadron was formed at New Sarum.

No. 4 Squadron which came into being on 3rd January 1956 was based at New Sarum and equipped with Provost aircraft. Its role was both internal security and pilot training.

On 5th March 1956 the move of No 4 Squadron to Thornhill Air Base in Gwelo was started. The move was completed on the 30th May 1956.

In August 1956 the Royal Rhodesian Air Force became autonomous from the control of the army.

1957
On the 11th December 1957 the first Vampire landed on the new runway at Thornhill the pilot was RAF Bentley (later Air Vice Marshall). The purpose was to test the newly completed runway.

1958
January 1858 saw the first detachment to Aden in the Middle East. 5Dakotas and 19 Vampires flew off to the Middle East.

On 15th March 1958 No 1 Squadron moved from New Sarum to Thornhill.

In July 1958 No. 1 Squadron was detached to Aden to support the British forces following a coup in Iraq. 3 aircraft of No. 3 Squadron were in support.

On the 25th September 1958 No. 2 Squadron was reformed at Thornhill.

By the end of 1958 the installation the Ground Approach Radar at Thornhill was complete.

1959
In 1959 the Nyasaland emergency broke out and elements of No. 3 and No 4 Squadron were detached to Chileka airfield in support of the Federal Army.

During late March 1959 the first four English Electric Canberra aircraft arrived from England. From then on Canberra's arrived at the rate of two per month for four months.
In early June a further four Canberra aircraft arrived bringing the total to 15, These aircraft were to make up No. 5 and No. 6 Squadron.

In December 1959 No 3 Squadron received 2 Canadair DC-4M-2 aircraft.

1960
On 11th March 1960 the first parachute drop was carried out by No. 3 Squadron with 9 African Askari's and four Europeans, at New Sarum.

During March 1960 No 6 Squadron was disbanded and its members amalgamated with No. 5 Squadron.

No 2 Squadron was reformed to train flying instructors and ground attack.

In April 1960, 3 Air Supply Platoon was formed.

June 1960 No. 3 Squadron received the initial award of the Jacklin Trophy.

July 1960 saw the RRAF engaged in the Congo crisis.

1961
In 1961 pilot raining was restarted and No. 2 Squadron was responsible for this task.

On the 14th January 1961 the RRAF Volunteer Reserve was officially established.

In March 1961 the long awaited Canberra T4 training aircraft arrived.

March 1961 saw No 4 Squadron carrying out rain making experiments by releasing a mixture of salt and sand into clouds.

On the 14th April 1961 the General Service Unit (GSU) was formed under the command of Flying Officer Basil Lederboer.

30th June 1961 Air Vice Marshall E. W .S. Jacklin retired from the Royal Rhodesian Air Force.

5th October 1961 the Royal Rhodesian Air Force Parachute Training School was formed.

1962
January 1962 the Rolls-Royce Trophy was presented to the Royal Rhodesian Air Force.

No 7 Squadron was formed on the 28th February 1962.

No 6 Squadron was re-formed on 1st June 1962. It became operational on 14th September 1962.

20th December 1962 the first four Hawker Hunter aircraft arrived to replace the Vampire of No 1 Squadron.

1962 No 6 Squadron was disbanded and the personnel of Nos 5 and 6 Squadrons were combined on No 5 Squadron.

1963
31st December 1963 saw the break up of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland.

No 3 Squadron was reduced to an aircraft strength to four Canadairs and Four Dakotas

The Federation was officially dissolved on the 3rd December 1963. but the Royal prefix remained until March 1970 when Rhodesia became a Republic.

1964
In 1964 the name of the air force remained the Royal Rhodesian Air Force.

In October 1964 No 4 Squadron moved to Thornhill.

1964 No 5 Sqn moved to New Sarum.

1964 the aircraft silver paint scheme changed to two tone green camouflage.

During March 1964 the weekly shuttle New Sarum &ndash Thornhill &ndash Kumalo (Bulowayo) was inaugurated by No 3 Sqn.

April 1964 Winston Field resigned as prime minister and was replaced by Ian Smith.

4th July 1964 Mr Petrus Johannes Andries Oberholzer murdered by terrorists.

1965
9th November 1965 all squadrons placed on stand-by.

11th November 1965 Rhodesia declared unilateral independence (UDI)

1966
March 1966 No.105 (VR) Squadron was formed in the Lomogundi area.

17th May 1966 saw the murder of a farmer and his wife (the Viljoen's) an their farm &ldquoNevada&rdquo in the Hartley area by terrorists

12th June 1966 first static line parachute jumps conducted by RLI.

November 1966 No 3 Squadron received a Beech Baron B55 from a South African organization.

31st March 1967 first free fall parachute jump carried out from 15,000ft by Flt Lt Frank Hales of the Parachute Training School.

1967 saw the formation of No. 107 (VR) Squadron in the Lowveld (Chiredzi).

July 1967 saw the introduction of 130 lb concrete practice bomb invented by Flt Lt Alan Cockle.

1967 saw the arrival of the first Lockheed Aeromachi AL60 B &ldquoTrojan&rdquo aircraft. Assembly began on 1st August 1967 and the 9th aircraft was completed on the 24th August.the final aircraft was completed on the 6th September.

1st August 1967 No 6 Squadron was reformed and took on the training role and was allocate seven Provost T52s.

During the latter part of 1967 No 4 Squadron converted to Trojan aircraft but retained some Provost T52s.

July 1967 saw the onset of Operation Nickel

1967 No.7 Sqn was awarded the Jacklin Trophy

At the beginning of September 1967 and air show was held at New Sarum. Thousands of civilians attend the show to see the Hawker Hunters, Vampires and Canberras make a series of low runs before engaging in a mock dogfight. A mass parachute drop by the SAS initiated a demonstration of anti-terrorist warfare in which the Allouette III helicopters participated.

By the end of 1967 No 7 Squadron was committed to maintain helicopters on a semi-perminent basis at both Wankie (FAF 1) and Kariba (FAF2)

July 1968 saw the start of Operations Griffin, Mansion, Excess and Gravel.

11th November 1968 the new Rhodesian flag was raised.and a new roundel on the aircraft was introduced.

1969
7th January 1969 a South African Police Cessna 185 aircraft crashed at Kutanga Range, killing the South African pilot, Lieutenant Johan van Heerden and fatally injuring a Royal Rhodesian Air Force Armaments Officer Fight Lieutenant Don Annandale. The pilot was attempting to carry out a barrel roll after take off. Lieutenant van Heerden was killed outright and Don Annandale was severely burned.The fire vehicle taking Don to the hospital in Que Que was involved in an accident and overturned. A passing motorist then took Don to the hospital where he died several days later from his injuries.

June 1969. No. 4 Squadron was awarded the Jacklin Trophy for 1968.

23rd July 1969 Flight Lieutenant Bob Brakewell was severely injured when a frantan on a Provost aircraft hung up and exploded during the de-arming.

1969 the Rhodesian Air Force carried out trials on its own version of a napalm bomb.

1970
2nd March 1970 Rhodesia became a republic and the flag, Air Force Ensign and roundel were changed. Two junior air force officer ranks changed. The rank of Pilot Officer was changed to Air Sub Lieutenant and Flying Officer to Air Lieutenant. The red, white and blue Royal Air Force roundel with a single silver and gold assegai remained the official marking of the Royal Rhodesian Air Force despite the change in national colours to green and white.

The roundel was changed to incorporate a white centre and a gold lion and tusk, outlined in black with a green outer circle. A new Ensign was also designed.

5th March 1970 saw the start of Operation Pluto

On the 8th April 1970 the Air Force name changed to Rhodesian Air Force.(RhAF) Chief of Air Staff was changed to Commander of the Air Force. the new Commander held the rank of Air Marshall.



President Clifford Dupont presents the
Rhodesian Air Force Colours to Air Lieutenant Michael Mulligan

10th April 1970 Operation Granite started.

In 1970 the name of the Air Force Police was changed to the Air Force Security Branch and members became known as security provosts. Their initial training was carried out a No 1 GTS, New Sarum.

6th May 1970 the Parachute Training School logged it&rsquos 10,000th jump.

1st July 1970 an Allouette III helicopter crashed at New Sarum killing Flight Lieutenant Mike Hill and Squadron Leader Gordon Nettleton

On the 8th August 1970 the name of the Air Force was officially changed to Rhodesian Air Force The title of Chief of the Air Staff was changed to Commander of the Air Force. The title was foreshortened to RhAF and was thence forth referred to as RHODAF. The rank of the Commanders of the army and air force were elevated to Lieutenant General and Air Marshall

14th September 1970 Air Lieutenant Trevor Baynham carried out a night forced landing in a Trojan aircraft during the casevac of Game Ranger Paul Coetzee from the lake Kariba area to Salisbury.

29th September 1970 saw the start of Operation Apollo (Mozambique).

23rd October 1970 the first Rhodesian Honours were awarded. Prior to this Rhodesians had bee eligible for the full range of British Honours and Awards.

On 11th November 1970 seven formations took of for the Independence Day fly-past

1971
During 1971 as a security precaution all roundel and aircraft numbers were removed from the visible parts of the aircraft. Serial numbers were still carried but much reduced in size.

26th March 12971 Sergeant Harry Young died of his injuries following an accidental fire at the New Sarum bomb dump.

25th May 1971 the Rhodesian Air Force received the Freedom of the City of Salisbury. Airmen marched through the city streets with bayonets fixed and aircraft flew over the parade

1972
March 1972 Group Captain Ossie Penton was appointed Officer Commanding the Air Force Volunteer Reserves.

6th June 1972 - Wankie Disaster &ndash Methane Gas Explosion in the coal mine trapped many miners. No 3 Squadron played a major role in transporting men and equipment to the scene.

4th August 1972 - Crash of Vampire at Thornhill killing Air Sub Lieutenant Dave Brown.

September October 1972 Start of Operation Sable (Mozambique)

On the 8th October 1972 the Rhodesian Air Force staged its first major Air Show at Thornhill Between 8,000 and 10,000 people attended the spectacle.

On the 28th November the Air Force celebrated its 25th Anniversary. That is using the date of November 1947 as that when the Air Force was reformed after World War II. To celebrate 300 men marched through the streets of the City Of Salisbury. With bayonets fixed and colours flying, a right they had received when they were granted the freedom of the city in 1971. Before the parade the President Mr. Clifford Dupont presented the Air Force with its colours at Government House.

During 1972, 20,000 hours had been flown by the Air Force and the Defence of the country had cost $24,000,000 (Rhodesian), 2.1% of the GDP.

1973
On the 15th May1973 Air Marshall Archie Wilson retired from the Air Force after a career spanning 32 years. He was succeeded by Air Marshall Michael John (Mick) McLaren

15th May 1973 civilians visitors to Victoria Falls were attacked by members of the Zambian army at Victoria Falls. One woman was killed.

29th June 1973 saw the presentation of the first Defence Forces Meritorious Medals to Squadron Leader Peter Barnett, Squadron Leader James Boyd, Squadron Leader Ken Gipson, Mater Technician Bill Gaitens, and Warrant Officer Spike Owens.

Towards the end of 1973 with the increasing terrorist activity a Joint Operations Centre which had been established at Centenary (FAF3). Was upgraded with higher ranking officers and moved to Bindura. The senior army officer on the JOC was a Brigadier and the senior air force officer Wing Commander and later a Group Captain.

Centenary (FAF3 and Mount Darwin (FAF4) became sub JOCs with Lieutenant Colonel and Squadron Leader in command. JOC Bindura was not a tactical base and therefore not allocated any aircraft.

The Allouettes were grouped at Centenary and Mt. Darwin with two regular battalions, 1RAR and 1RLI respectively, together with members of the BSAP.

At first the helicopters ferried whatever troops were available at the time but it became increasingly obvious that that both men and machines must be o0n stand-by to provide fast reaction when an incident or sighting was reported. These reaction groups became known a &ldquofire force&rdquo and the helicopters as &ldquoG-Cars&rdquo

27th August 1973 Air Marshall M. J. McLaren, Commander of the Rhodesian Air force presented the Jacklin Trophy to No.5 Squadron (The Squadrons 3rd Award)

21st September 1973 No.1 Squadron was presented with its Standard by Air Marshall A. O. G. Wilson (immediate past Commander of the Rhodesian Air Force).

March 1974 saw the first night free fall parachute jump carried out by instructors of the Parachute Training School at New Sarum.

17th May 1974 No.1 Squadron received the Jacklin Trophy.

31st May 1974 Flight Lieutenant George Walker-Smith who had been serving as a pilot on No.3 Squadron qualified as aircraft Captain. He was the first Rhodesian Air Force Volunteer Reservist to be made an aircraft Captain on No.3 Squadron.

11th September 1974 saw the government of Mozambique pass into the hands of FRELIMO.


You may wonder why the RAF flag flies in the heart of an ancient castle. Enter this small museum to find out.

The 201 Squadron was the oldest in the RAF and was the last to retain a local affiliation. Until it was disbanded in 2011, it carried the soubriquet 'Guernsey's Own'.

This museum celebrates the history and exploits of 201 Squadron, its pilots and the planes they flew.

It began as No1 Squadron, Royal Naval Air service in 1914 and was re-numbered as 201 Squadron on the formation of the RAF in 1918. During the First World War, Flight Sub-Lieutenant Warneford brought down the first Zeppelin in 1915 using bombs from a fragile Morane-Saulnier monoplane and won the first squadron Victoria Cross.

From the late 1920's to modern times, 201 specialised in maritime reconnaissance. During the Second World War its pilots flew Sunderland flying boats to attack German U-boats. The squadron remained vigilant during the Cold War, flying Shackletons and then Nimrods. In more recent years, the Nimrods were active in search and rescue operations as well as supporting operations in the Gulf and Afghanistan.

Special prominence is given to the link between 201 Squadron and the Island of Guernsey, a link forged in the dark days just before the Second World War. In 1994, as part of their 80th anniversary celebrations, the Squadron were granted The Privilege of Guernsey. It was the first award in Guernsey's history of this ancient military honour, which gives the right to march with colours flying, drums beating and bayonets fixed. Even after the squadron disbanded, links between former members of the Squadron and the island remain strong.

The first squadron museum was opened in 1978 in the castle guardhouse. It was moved to its present location and re-opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II in 2001.


Gallery for No.215 Squadron - History

Western Frontier 1918*, Independant Force and Germany 1918, Mahsud, 1919-1920, Waziristan, 1919-1920, German Ports, 1940-1941, Baltic, 1940-1941, France and Low Countries, 1940, Fortress Europe 1940-1942*, Ruhr 1940-1942*, Berlin 1940-42*, Biscay Ports, 1940, Arakan 1942-44, Burma 1944-45, Manipur, 1944, Eastern Waters 1945.

(Honours marked with an asterisk, may be emblazoned on the Squadron Standard )

History of 355 Squadron:

No 99 Squadron was formed on 15 August 1917 at Yatesbury, Wiltshire, from a nucleus supplied by No 13 Training Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. In April 1918, the squadron was equipped mainly with De Havilland DH9 aircraft, and was deployed to France to operate as a light bomber squadron. The squadron took part in seventy-six strategic bombing missions directed at German industrial targets for the remainder of the First World War. In September 1918, the squadron was re-supplied with DH9A bombers and in May 1919 was deployed to India to take part in aerial policing duties over India's Northwest Frontier. On April 1920, the squadron was disbanded by being renumbered to No 27 Squadron.

In 1924, No 99 Squadron reformed at Netheravon in Wiltshire and was equipped initially with the Vickers Vimy heavy bomber, and then the Avro Aldershot single-engined. These aircraft were replaced in succession by Avro's Hyderabad, Hinaidi and, in 1933, the Avro Heyford. During 1938 the squadron converted to the Vickers Wellington bomber, an aircraft it would operate for the majority of the Second World War.

On 8 September 1939, No 99 Squadron entered WW II with the first of many leaflet-dropping missions over Germany. The first bombing raids were launched on 17 April 1940 during the German invasion of Norway. European bombing operations continued until January 1942 when, once again, the squadron was deployed to India. From its base at Digri, No 99 Squadron commenced night bombing raids against Japanese targets in Burma. In September 1944, the squadron received its first American-manufactured aircraft, the Consolidated Liberator VI long-range bomber. Equipped with this new aircraft, in July 1945 the squadron deployed from Dhubalia to the Cocos Islands in preparation for the possible invasion of Malaya. In November 1945, following the Japanese surrender, No 99 Squadron was disbanded.

In 1949, No 99 Squadron reformed as a transport squadron equipped with Avro Yorks based at RAF Lyneham, and it took part in the Berlin Airlift. The Handley Page Hastings followed in August of that year. During the Suez crisis in 1956, the squadron operated out of Cyprus and dropped paratroopers on Port Said. In 1959, No 99 Squadron commenced worldwide strategic transport operations with its new Bristol Britannia aircraft. In June 1970, the squadron moved to RAF Brize Norton, where it remained until 6 January 1976, when it was disbanded following the 1974 Defence White Paper.

In July 1998, the Government's Strategic Defence Review detailed a requirement for an aircraft capable of deploying the Joint Rapid Reaction Force. Specifically, the aircraft would need to be able to carry outsized loads such as helicopters and large military vehicles .

In Nov 2000, 99 Squadron was reformed to operate the C-17 Globemaster III aircraft. The first of the squadron's four initial C-17s was delivered to the RAF on May 17 2001, arriving at RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire on May 23. One of the first high profile missions of the squadron was the deployment of Lynx helicopters and support equipment to Macedonia as part of a NATO peacekeeping force. This deployment was codenamed Operation Bessemer.

Since then, the squadron has been actively involved in support of other operations such as Op TELIC (Iraq), and currently Op HERRICK (Afghanistan). The first mission flown into Iraq by 99 Squadron was on May 21 2003 the destination was Tallil airbase.

Subsequent missions were flown into Basrah International airport. With its highly capable fleet of C17s, 99 Squadron has been involved in a variety of other roles including Specialist Aeromedical Evacuation (34 missions in 2009), Repatriations and Humanitarian Relief (2004 Asian Tsunami, 2010 Chilean earthquake, 2010 Pakistan floods).

The C-17 has become an essential component of the UK Strategic Airlift requirement and the original 4 leased aircraft were bought by the Ministry of Defence in 2008 along with an additional 2 identical platforms. The fleet will be complimented by a seventh aircraft in Dec 2010. . More »

Lema: Surgite nox adest (Arise night is at hand)

Distintivo: A porcupine

History of 215 Squadron: This squadron was formed at Coudekerque, near Dunkirk, on 10th March 1918, as No. 15 Squadron, RNAS, and on 1st April 1918, became No. 215 Squadron, RAF. Its role was that of a heavy-bomber unit and it was equipped with Handley Page twin-engined bombers - initially O/1OOs. On the night of 11/12th April, two of its O/1OOs participated with Naval Forces in the first attempt to block Ostend and Zeebrugge harbours, and in spite of bad weather, one aircraft attacked the Zeebrugge mole by desultory bombing for two hours. Towards the end of April the squadron returned to England to be brought up to full strength. It returned to France early in July equipped with ten Handley Page O/400s, and until 19th August was based at Alquines. From here night-bombing raids were made on the enemy's communications. On 19th August the squadron joined the Independent Force (83rd Wing) at Xaffévillers, and during the remainder of the war made many notable bombing raids on railway junctions, munitions factories and airfields. No. 215 returned to England in February 1919, and eight months later it disbanded. It re-formed as a bomber squadron with Virginia aircraft in October 1935, converted (after having partially re-equipped with Ansons) to Harrows in 1937 and was flying Harrows and Wellingtons at the outbreak of the Second World War. In April 1940, it merged with SHQ, RAF Bassingbourn, to form No. 11 OTU, but after a false start re-formed in December 1941 - once again as a bomber unit - and early in 1942 went to India to operate against the Japanese in Burma. At first it was engaged in supply dropping flights during the aftermath of the retreat from Burma and in August coastal patrols began along the east coast of India. In October airbourne forces training began and it was in March 1943 before the squadron undertook bombing missions over Burma. Wellingtons were withdrawn from operations on 23 June 1944, and No.215 moved back to Kolar for Liberator conversion training. Operations were resumed on 1 October by both day and night and in April the squadron's role was changed to transport duties, Liberators being replaced Dakotas. Supply dropping missions for the 14th Army continued while Burma was cleared of the Japanese and in October the Squadron was moved to Malaya, Java and Hong Kong until the squadron was renumbered 48 Squadron on 15 February 1946.

On 1 August 1947, No.215 reformed at Kabrit as a transport squadron equipped with Dakotas. It was renumbered 70 Squadron on 1 May 1948. The squadron was reformed at Dishforth on 30 April 1956 with Pioneers for Army support and communications duties, being renumbered 230 Squadron on 1 September 1958. On 1 May 1963, No.215 reformed at Benson as an Argosy squadron and moved to Singapore in August to provide supply-dropping aircraft to support the army in Malaysia until disbanded on 31 December 1968. . More »

Detachments Silloth, Jurby, Squires Gate, Harwell
Honington 8/4/1940

Ground echelon en route India 12/2/1942

Air echelon formed at Waterbeach 21/2/1942

Air echelon en route India 19/3/1942

Detachments Dum Dum, Alipore
St Thomas Mount 13/8/1942

Detachment Vizagapatam
Chaklala 13/10/1942

Detachment St Thomas Mount

Detachments Digri, Chittagong and Cuttack.

Detachments Kolar, Amarda Road circa 9/1943


Digri Airfield - Photo courtesy of Thomas Oliver (ex 159 Squadron Groundcrew).


My Bedspace. Photo courtesy of Thomas Oliver (ex 159 Squadron Groundcrew).


RAF 159 Squadron B-Flight (Photo taken 27 January 1944 at Digri, West Bengal,
India) TOP ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT: 1. F Sgt Bill Kirkness DFM WOP/AG 2. F Sgt. E.J. O'Connor AG 3. Sgt George Moth WOP/AG 4. Unidentified 5. F/Sgt R.H. Pryde WOP
/AG 6. Sgt George Plank WOP/AG 7. Sgt Stan Wilson (American) WOP/AG? 8. Sgt
Jack R. O'Brien AG 9. F Sgt W. Davey AG 10. Sgt W. Lear AG 11. Sgt S.P. Blackburn?
WOP/AG 12. F Sgt G.E.T. White AG 13.


A-Flight 27/01/44 RAF 159 Squadron A-Flight (Photo taken 27 January 1944
at Digri, West Bengal, India)

The aircraft in the background is BZ926, Pegasus, which was shot down over
Rangoon by two Japanese night fighters on 29 February 1944.

Front Row Left To Right P.N. Higgins (Pilot) A. Black (P) Robert Ustick
(USA, flying for RCAF) (A/G) Died approx 1997. Eric Wallace (Aus)(P)


The two men seated are from the left Sgt F W Bennett (Butch) and Sgt E W Robinson
both members of the flying control staff at Digri. Picture Courtesy of Mike Robinson


Left To Right.
Sargento. B McKinnon Front Gunner Sgt. B. McFarlane Mid / Upper Gunner
F/O E.R Cutlan Navigator. Taken under the wing of A/C KH-359 R-Roger in March of
1945 at Digri. Photo Courtesy of Ted Cutlan & The Canadian Air Force Photo
Archive.


On the right standing in front of ""P"" for 'Puggled Pete' is Sgt. Joe Wilkinson, a Fitter IIa.
NCO i/c aircraft. Joe was so keen on the job he actually flew on 'ops' with the aircrew,
unofficially, at least once to my certain knowledge, during 1945, Digri. Post war, I think
I saw him driving a London bus! Photo & Text Courtesy of George Barker-Read.


Myself next to a Palestine Policeman aircraft guard, was taken July 1942 at St. Jean
Palestine, a 'grim place' I've noted. Akir, the next aerodrome was better, but the ground
personnel lived very rough in tents. My special pal, Roger Dugdale, another Instrument
basher and ardent communist, and I spent three days living in a 'kibbutz' close to Akir,
which was very interesting. Later, Roger was killed in a 159 Lib. flying from (I think
Digri), 'over the hump' to China. Photo & Text Courtesy Of George Barker-Read.


Billet Group, Digri.
Photo courtesy of Thomas Oliver (ex 159 Squadron Groundcrew).


Bruce at work, Digri.
Photo courtesy of Thomas Oliver (ex 159 Squadron Groundcrew).


Bruce at work, Digri.
Photo courtesy of Thomas Oliver (ex 159 Squadron Groundcrew).


Squadron Leader James W. Bradley DFC. These were taken right after he was liberated
from Rangoon Jail in May 1945. He paid a visit to Digri, where 159 Squadron was still
located, in order to visit 'the lads' - primarily those who were on C Flight involved with
the electronic intelligence ops. Picture & Text Courtesy of Matt Poole.


S/Ldr James W. Bradley DFC. These were taken right after he was liberated from
Rangoon Jail in May 1945. He paid a visit to Digri, where 159 Squadron was still
located, in order to visit 'the lads' - primarily those who were on C Flight involved
with the electronic intelligence ops. Picture & Text Courtesy of Matt Poole.


Photo was taken at Digri on 27 January 1944, the same day as the A Flight group photo
in this gallery. It shows the McDougall crew of A Flight in front of BZ926, P for Pegasus,
which was shot down with a different crew aboard on 29 Feb 1944. From left to Right.
L.J.H. Talbot (2nd W.Op/AG) Denis Boissier (N) Roy McDougall (Pilot) Tom Morris (2nd
Pilot) W. 'Ginger' McCaffrey (AG), probably J.P. 'Paddy' Goodison (AG) J. Brown (W.Op)
Dennis Stokoe (AG). Picture & Text Courtesy of Matt Poole.


Ver el vídeo: El ESCUADRÓN IMPARABLE en FORTNITE: BATTLE ROYALE!!! (Junio 2022).